Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
Discussion
making a micro tug.....help

Im looking to build something like the Dumas Jersey Tug @ 12 3/8" long
Im set on something like this

but is this too wide? 3 9/16"

does anyone have better pictures of The Jersey tug than google or Dumas,I need a pic of
overhead shot
head on bow view and head on stern view,From my drawing I can take precise measurements and draw up prints,id be happy to share prints if I can get it right.
Looking at my drawing what needs to change,I know the bow on the Jersey is stright up and the stern is diffrent but I stated I wanted something like the Jersey tug.How does she look? and how is the width compared to lenh,Is it close,is my bow curve too steep,bow too narrow?

please help,I have a 1 1/8" brass prop,shaft and stuffing tube,esc and 380 motor im dying to use
redlined_b16a is offline Find More Posts by redlined_b16a
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:56 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
It is a little wide. Many years ago, I purchased a fiberglass steam tug hull from the Scale Shipyard. It's 14" LOA x 3 & 5/16" beam. I scratchbuilt the deck and superstructure from sheet styrene. It has a 280 size motor and is powered by 4 AA cells.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob View Post
It is a little wide. Many years ago, I purchased a fiberglass steam tug hull from the Scale Shipyard. It's 14" LOA x 3 & 5/16" beam. I scratchbuilt the deck and superstructure from sheet styrene. It has a 280 size motor and is powered by 4 AA cells.
good to know,how does the overall shape look,also how much weight did it take to reach the water line
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:40 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
Your overall hull shape looks good. My little tug weighs in at 1 lb 1 oz with the battery installed ready for the bathtub.

Here's some other info:
Deckhouse opening is 7 & 3/8" long by 1.5" wide.
Futaba FP-R112JE receiver in its original case
Futaba FP-S133 servo connected to the servo with fishing line
Dynamite Tazer 15T ESC
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 04, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
I revised the drawing with a narrower bow,made the hulls beam 3 5/16" wide.I like it
Last edited by redlined_b16a; Sep 04, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:27 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined_b16a View Post
I revised the drawing with a narrower bow,made the hulls beam 3 5/16" wide.I like it
Looks better, but maybe a curve from the bow to the stern between lines 4 and 9 (on plan, Back from the bow) instead of a straight line...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
the line I have now is just the water line,how low I want it to sit for the oversize prop
heres my insperation on the shape
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:43 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Why not just get the fiberglass 13 1/2" tug hull from Microglass, and build around that?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:06 AM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Why not just get the fiberglass 13 1/2" tug hull from Microglass, and build around that?
this one?
http://www.microglass.net/products/p1036.html
does anyone have pictures of the actual product?
plus my drawing is deeper to accomadate the large prop and possibly a 540 lathe motor
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
Capt. thankxz for the info,I didnt know anything about microglass until now.I ordered the tug already
do you know of any links here to an actual microglass product,I came across there spring tug it was nice
kinda takes the fun out of building though....i thought my drawing was pretty good,its my first time
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:12 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Redlined, I just this morning got an order for a tug hull from some Cajun, and I'm thinking it must be you---.

CG Bob has quite a few Microglass hulls, and seems happy with them, as he keeps buying more every year---.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Redlined, I just this morning got an order for a tug hull from some Cajun, and I'm thinking it must be you---.

CG Bob has quite a few Microglass hulls, and seems happy with them, as he keeps buying more every year---.
yea i just sent paypal and wasnt sure of the total so let me know if i have to send more funds.
I'll also try to get my friends into the small tug bussiness and send them your way.im currently building a 22" crewboat out of a 1960's graupner fishing boat/cabin cruiser
i wonder if you can make a fiberglass copy of it,its abs.

Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:36 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined_b16a View Post
plus my drawing is deeper to accomadate the large prop and possibly a 540 lathe motor
A 540 motor is a bit big for a tug that size, you'd probably flip it over from the torque reaction if you hit full throttle too fast---.

A 380 motor may be a bit much too, but if you watch it on the throttle, it's doable---.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:06 PM
USA, IL, Chicago Ridge
Joined Dec 2007
188 Posts
Redlined ~ You'lll be extremely happy with Microglass hull, I've got 2 of that particular tug you ordered on hand...

I'll recommend you to try to pick up Lindberg 1/82 Diesel Tug kit and use the deck, pilot house, etc as pattern for the Microglass hull which would make your life much easier... (You'll be able to find a kit for $20-$30 on average from ebay)

I plan on getting thin sintra (2mm??) to trace all the lindberg parts to use on Microglass hulls.

Included some pictures below...
ears1919 is offline Find More Posts by ears1919