HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by target, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Rave
Cyril F3B from soaringusa.com

So, some of you know that I'm a huge Ceres fan. The plane is fast, has good manners, and is built like a brick outhouse. Hard to want anything more for F3F.

I recently purchased a Cyril, since I started dabbling in F3B when I have time.
The last F3F race I went to the Cyril was finished just an hour or two before the race, so I brought it along, to get the maiden out of the way.
I had flown Warrens plane (thanks, that is a true friend!) a few times, but it's hard to push someone elses $$$$ molded new plane, at least it is for me.
\The maiden went fine before the race at White Point, but the lift was light at best.
I also flew it for about 20 minutes after the race, and it was fine. However, I still felt like the Ceres had more grip, and was faster in a straight line than the Cyril. And, it could be..... But!

After flying both planes today at Fermin, all I can say is, WOW!
That Cyril is fast both into and out of the corners, and is a slippery little bastard overall.
But what struck me the hardest, was this thing has such impeccable handling manners; it is SO EASY to fly fast. I think I'm really gonna love it for F3B!

More later.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Sep 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Build comments

OK, so a little about the build of Cyril....

This was my first RDS install, and I guess it's the same for everyone: intimidating at first, causing a lot of mocking-up, and staring, and then you just get disgusted with your self, and glue the darned thing into the plane!
And everything is fine, and you wonder what the heck you were worried about.

I did a few things non-factory, I just can't help myself, you know? Builder/flyer/thinker, right?

1. Installed the servos more forward to try to save weight. I probably wouldn't do this again, because I think the servo tray helps with strengthening the sub nose at the base where it needs it most.

2. I bent the RDS rods for the flaps an additional 10 degrees. I absolutely would do this again, but won't go so far as to say it is "necessary". I hope that maybe in the future, they do this at the factory. I view the additional throw as a bonus, and with the servos we use these days, I'm not worried about the slightly less torque being an issue. If it ever is, I will retract my statement here.

3. I mouted the flap servos oriented opposite of the way they show on the Baudis videos. This puts the RDS shaft at a slightly lesser angle to the hinge line, which again, trades a tiny bit of torque for more flap throw. I absolutely can recommend this, and will do it again. I had to slightly shorten the rod that extends into the pocket on the flap, because I felt it might hit the back of the pocket. I trimmed off about 3mm, 1/8" from the rod and re-rounded it.

4. I relieved my flap wipers where they would come into contact with the RDS rods, but did it AFTER they'd already hit the wiper and distorted it, so had to trim it back further. That was really dumb on my part, but it's no big deal. Next time, I will relieve them less, and before the install

5. I left the brass tube for the flaps RDS floating on the rod for now. I scuffed the outside prior to installation, in case I wanted to secure it. Lots of people say that securing that is the trickiest part of the install, but I don't think it would be bad to do at all. If I do it, I will just do it from the back of the wing, with the flaps down. Access is just fine that way, from what I can see.
However, because the hardware is SO beefy, and its been documented the RDS needs to either float up and down, or in and out towards the servo, I thought it best not to make it more rigid. Time will tell I suppose.

Pics to follow.

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Dec 08, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:57 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
I forgot to post how much down flap I got by bending the flap wipers an extra 10 degrees, from 45 to 55 degrees.

Here you go. Plenty of flap travel.

R,
Target
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
I'm thinking that if I buy another plane for F3F, it will be another Cyril.
Or maybe a Fosa? Hmmm.

R,
Target
Old Jun 06, 2014, 07:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Here is a funny epilogue-
I let the Cyril go to DP to take a shot at the F3B TS a few years ago... I felt it was a bit heavier than I wanted and with a bit more bite than I wanted for a true F3B plane that I might spend some time thermalling. So off it went and I got the Extasy instead.

Still, the Cyril's that I had seen on the slope worked really well for F3F. They were brutally fast, and no need for floating in thermals in F3F (I hope!).

So, now I have the sister to my original F3B Cyril, back from DP. It needs a little repair, and I'm just the guy to do that to it!

Get ready for some F3F, baby!

R,
Target