HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2003, 06:19 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
One Excellent S600 Spitfire Plan!!

Hi all,
How many times have you seen a thread on "Where can I find a Balsacraft Spitfire?" I see them almost weekly. Upon reading through some postings on the zone today. A fellow Ezoner by the name of Mickey has found, and brought to my attention, a great set of plans to scratch build from. It's a 1/9 scale Spitfire with almost the exact same specs as the Balsacraft one. These are really well drawn out plans and I think would make a great substitute for a classic scale rendition that went out of production well before it's time. I've compared them to the Balsacraft Spitty plans that I have and I think that they are just as good. Actually better in that they have all the rib templates and formers that you need to scratch build from without having to buy a kit.
Wingspan is 48" Wing area is 2.90 Square feet. Length is 40 9/16" Check 'em out and tell me what you think. Here's the Link:
http://plans.am.free.fr/
Plan # 56 And Yup! They're FREE!
Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Last edited by RCFlybry; Jul 01, 2003 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 07:32 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Jul 01, 2003, 07:57 PM
albuquerque
Joined Sep 2001
1,122 Posts
Bryan, I'll check it out. My fleet is missing a good spitfire.
jbest is online now Find More Posts by jbest
Old Jul 01, 2003, 09:01 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
As fast as Jimmy cranks 'em out, I'm sure we'll probably be seeing one in the air as late as.... Oh maybe next Wednsday?
Seriously, I think this could be the ticket for those that missed picking up a Balsacraft kit while they were still in production.
I'm going to start building one soon.
Tally Ho!

Bryan
Old Jul 02, 2003, 01:17 AM
Czech Republic, Liberec
Joined Apr 2003
411 Posts
Well as I look at it, I'll have to start working on mine as well. Funny thing is I had this plan in my PC for over a year now and never paid close attention (it was just another plan I added to my file for future projects) but I checked it the other day more in detail and it realy is great! Just have to find a way to enlarge it correctly and print it out.
RCFlybry - regarding the scale of Alex Pedeshenko plans, I have this plan and it says 1/12 scale at 29" so thats what got me confused. But I agree with you that the 48" will work out better (and if it's the same as the Blsacraft one, no doubt then).
Anyone who starts to work on this, pls keep us posted and pictures, pictures, pictures......
Mickey
Mickey is offline Find More Posts by Mickey
Old Jul 02, 2003, 12:44 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Mickey, If you want I can send you the Spitfire plan scaled already to the correct size if you'd like. Just let me know. Printing them out is easy. If you don't have Turbocad, you can get a free downloadable version at the Turbocad website. Then all you need to do is open the Spitfire file and have it printed out on seperate 8 1/2 X 11" Sheets of paper. Tape them all together and you've got your full size plan.
I've done this with all of my scratch build projects and it works just fine.

Bryan
Old Jul 02, 2003, 01:47 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,425 Posts
Great set of plans......
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jul 02, 2003, 03:35 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Yup. Looks the bizness. AND is scaleable as its DXF, to whatever you want...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:03 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
How about 1/8 scale plans? Don't know how to re-scale plans. What's a .dxf file and what software can read them and how much of the 500 page manual do I have to read to learn it.

I don't like belly landers since the fields in Texas are rough and everytime your Spit lands it looks like it's performing an emergency landing. Gotta have retracts to lower after a successful sortie. Although the Kyosho Spit is "convenient" it would be nice to be able to build one of similar size lighter and be a little more scale.

With these plans that have been mentioned here, what do you do about canopies and cowls? I guess you have to vacuform your own?

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by kelvin; Jul 02, 2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:09 PM
Czech Republic, Liberec
Joined Apr 2003
411 Posts
Bryan,
that would be great! Yes, if you can, please e-mail me the plans already scaled to the correct size. Thank you.
Yeah, what do you do with the cowl and canopy? Vacuform on your own?
Kelvin, this one is a 1/9 scale with retracts. I know it is smaller than your Kyosho Spit (enjoyed reading your threads on building and flying, sorry to read about the crash), but it should do fine, don't you think?
Mickey
Mickey is offline Find More Posts by Mickey
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:12 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
U just imported the DXF into Corel Draw. It allows me to stretch the whole image to any size I want.

Cowls are easy - patience, bionic eyeballs and lots of sandpaper.

Canopies? I guess vacuum forming is the only way...or get the RBC kit...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 02, 2003, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
This is a very nice plan, though I must say that I doubt that if it only had an ordinary Sp600 on the 7 cells shown for power, it would have much performance left if it also had to transport about 5oz of retracts and wheels as well.

A direct drive Ultra 930 on 10 cells and 9x6 Graupner grey nylon certainly would, judging by the energetic way my 52" span enlarged Balsacraft Hurricane flew.

I have heard that the Sp600 Race is a much more powerful motor thand the Sp600 7.2 or 8.4, so maybe that's what the designer had in mind.

Ref canopy and cowl moulding, you can do this yourself if you can get the transparent sheet. One source is those large plastic lemonade bottles.

First you carve a plug from wood and finish it smooth. Then three routes are available for the moulding process:

1. Stretch moulding where you cut a rectangle of the plastic, pin 2 wooden sticks along opposite edges, heat up the plastic with a hat gun until it's floppy and then pull it over the plug using the sticks as handles. An assistant uses the heat gun whilst you hold the plastic, and the assistant also wipes a soft cloth over the still hot plastic to smooth it down to the plug.

2. Plunge moulding where you pin the plastic sheet to a square of ply which has a hole cut in it to the plan view of the canopy. You then heat up the plastic till floppy and, push the plug into the plastic though the hole, thus forming the plastic over the plug.

3. Shrink moulding. Cut one end off the bottle, place the canopy or cowl plug inside it with packing to hold it firmly against the bottle surface. Then play the hot air from a heat gun on the bottle, and watch it heat-shrink down over the canopy/cowl. Cut the bottle away when cool.

I'm sure these three must have been dealt with on the ezone somewhere in better detail.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Jul 02, 2003 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 06:40 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
kelvin, A DXF file is a Drawing Exchange File that is opened with a CAD Program. If you don't have a CAD program, download the free version from TurboCad. No 500 page manual unless you wanted to make changes from it. All you need it for is to print it out. You can do this by printing it out in tiles. The CAD program sections out the entire plan and prints it on several 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper. Tape 'em together and you've got your plan.
Don't like belly landers? No problem as this plan also has an option for retracts.
I agree with you Gordon, I'd go brushless on this one for sure. Ultra, AXI, or Mega for sure.
Mickey, I'll get the plans to you later on today.

Bryan
Old Jul 03, 2003, 04:20 AM
Lapsed Non Modeller
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
123 Posts
I've just downloaded the plan and it looks cool. I think I may be tempted to actually build this one (as opposed to leaving it on my hard drive with the other zillion plans I've collected)

Is anyone else thinking of building? As I'm relatively new to building from plans I would find it easier if someone 'out there' was a few steps in front of me in the build process and I could ask questions, etc.

I know, it's a real cheek, but hey if you don't ask ...

Regards

Andy
Andycart is offline Find More Posts by Andycart
Old Jul 03, 2003, 08:57 AM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
I'll be doing one soon. I've just finished a speed 400 version and need a break from building for a little while. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be doing one though. A lot of people have been looking for a set of plans for a Spitfire this size for quite some time. This one looks to make a builder out of you for sure.
Enough parts to cut out for a while to keep you busy. Make a kit of it first.

Bryan
Last edited by RCFlybry; Jul 03, 2003 at 09:01 AM.