SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Alert
It finaly happened-Turnigy nano 45/90C

Same size as my other 3S 2200 LiPolys ,weight 197 grams / 6.95 oz.
XT 60 connector and I use Deans Ultras so I cut a slot in a couple of 3.5mm bullets and soldered them directly to a Deans female.

As delivered all cells at 3.82V.

First three charges were at 4.4A ,4 and 5 at 6.5A.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 03, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:34 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Latest from Hobby King and Thunder power compared.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 06, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:59 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
WHOAH!!! The earth didn't stop spinning so all is good!

Time for me to dig around for some of your other graphs and do some comparing!

Does not look too shabby at first look. Ri is lower than my new 50C packs but then that could be due to equipment variation (I am using iCharger 106B+). One year and 200+ cycles will be the real story....

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
116 Posts
Compare with this grap.Maybe we should say this pack is Ace Nano-tech 45C/90C
Name: 1.jpg
Views: 739
Size: 54.6 KB
Description:
ericyao22 is offline Find More Posts by ericyao22
Last edited by ericyao22; Sep 04, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:24 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Quote:
Maybe we should say this pack is Ace Nano-tech 45C/90C

To make such claims would be called marketing and you should really have some kind of a degree from an institute of higher learning prior to such.

A123 Systems was the first battery manufacture to use the word Nano to the best of my knowledge and that was around 4 years ago,

From their present website

Quote:
Using Nanotechnology
to create the next generation
of lithium ion batteries.
A123 Systems is one of the world's leading suppliers of high-power lithium ion batteries using our patented Nanophosphate™ technology designed to deliver a new combination of power, safety and life.

I am not so sure that any LiPoly cell truly uses nano particles but then on the other hand who really cares?
Years ago some claimed that by using nano technology they could increase the capacity of LiPolys by 10X with no increase in size or weight.

Back to the real world which I fly in.
Your 25C (which I have always stated was underrated) weighs 6.6 oz., another 50C I have weighs 6.7 oz. and this nano tech weighs 6.95 oz. My guess that it would weigh 0.1oz. less if it had more reasonable size leads on it.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 04, 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:26 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
First two 10A charges (#6 & #7) on this one this morning and first flight also. Flight went well and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference between this one and my Kick Ask 50 and Ace 25C (use the search) but they both have over 100 cycles on them and the Kick Ask 50 had one cell discharged at 110 A so incomparison this Tunigy nano has had a very easy life thus far.

One observation ,during a field charge at 10A on a iCharger 208B the Turnigy took approx. 3 minutes longer to charge than either of the others would have replacing the same capacity 1,700 mAh. There was a lot more balancing going on which I expected based on the inbalance noted on FMA POWERLAB 8 graphs above. One would think (hope) that in this day and age pack builders would do a better job of matching cells which go into a pack.

Discharge graph of Gens Ace25C cells at 30A.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3387121

Charles
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
116 Posts
Charles, It is really a joke ,there is so many people sing the praises for you on this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299497
They said learn many battery knowledge and truth from you ,however when your test result reveal the truth of Hobbyking battery ,there will no body following you.I really don't know why. What's your opinion?
ericyao22 is offline Find More Posts by ericyao22
Last edited by ericyao22; Sep 06, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:50 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
That nano Turnigy battery looks good. Thanks for bringing the everydaybuyers packs to the test table.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:17 AM
Distributed Manufacturing
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2009
359 Posts
Been looking forward to these types of test. Not a surprise to see that they are well over rated and don't hold up to there marketing hype. Thanks for another brand set of lipo's tested Charles.
Quixksilver is offline Find More Posts by Quixksilver
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:48 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericyao22 View Post
there will no body following you.I really don't know why. What's your opinion?
Nobody is an exaggeration. If I was weighing them up and saw this I’d feel informed and make my decision accordingly.

I guess you refer to the masses who unless their plane crashes and burns solely due to their hk lipos will continue to use them irrespective? Why shouldn’t they? If they are happy so be it.

I was at the field yesterday and observed highly priced, quality lipos being flown to dead stick and charged without a balancer then popped back in for more of the same. Those packs won’t last whatever they are, I don’t guess storage criteria are on their lists of must do’s either…

Horses for courses

Me, well I like to be as informed as possible, buy the best quality(performance)/price ratio that I want for a given application and look after them to the best of my ability with the knowledge that I have accumulated here
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:13 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixksilver View Post
Been looking forward to these types of test. Not a surprise to see that they are well over rated and don't hold up to there marketing hype. Thanks for another brand set of lipo's tested Charles.
Please explain how you come to this conclusion ?

Bart
amigob is offline Find More Posts by amigob
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:33 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
Yes indeed, I was wondering the same thing. How did he come to this conclusion??

"Not a surprise to see that they are well over rated and don't hold up to there marketing hype"

They are under the advertised weight. 203g advertised vs 197g from charles
Performance wise, Charles reported " Flight went well and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference between this one and my Kick Ask 50 and Ace 25C (use the search) but they both have over 100 cycles on them and the Kick Ask 50 had one cell discharged at 110 A so incomparison this Tunigy nano has had a very easy life thus far.

What happens 50, 100 cycles from now is an unknown. Maybe they go down hill maybe they don't.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Throttle Management.

One thing that many electric flyers seem to have a hard time learning / understanding is throttle management.

Attachent is a typical flight for me of my GP Electro Stik. Normaly I use a 3 or 4S 3300 Lipoly but this flight was with a 3S TP PP45 just to see how it performed in comparison. Plane had less power and shorter flight but fact is that this plane will fly rather well on 300 watts . AUW with a 3S 2200 is 51 oz. (3lbs. 3 oz) so 300 watts is 100 watts per pound.

My 3DHS extrea 300 is a much cleaner design and flys with greater authority with the same power to weight ratio but in fact is lighter wing loading and has evren more power on tap with any battery combination.

If I flew either of these WOT the flights would be less than 1-1/2 minutes. Either will go from level flight at 20 feet and 1/2 stick to 500 feet at 80% throttle in 5 seconds and will do consecitive inside or outside loops at 60% throttle.

As stsed numerious times most sports flyers like to have a 5 to 6 minute flight. min being 12C avaerage and 6 minutes being 10c average. Having three times this much power on tap makes for some rater spirited flying.
Charles
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:21 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
One would think (hope) that in this day and age pack builders would do a better job of matching cells which go into a pack.
Quote:
0.302 inbalance at 10.092 pack voltage
This is 3.364v per cell which I would consider well past a reasonable level of discharge for real world LiPo use. While this test shows some minor issues with cell matching, when the pack is used following best practices that have been around for years, most users will never be impacted by this. Only lab tests will expose these differences.

Further, won't the repeated overdischarges to 3% remainng (such as in the graph linked below) cause inrevesable damage to the pack? Such damage would render any long term tests invalid.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3453557
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
So what about this one which had no issues handling 300 discharge cycles at 40A to 10V? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142882

and it is still gets flown from time to time and still performs great.

Either all Lipolys are really all the same as many here love to preach or they are not. I have said for years that they are not all the same and that some are better / more advanced more accurately rated , matched better than others. The TP Pro Power 45 when discharged at 40A to 10V (3.33V oer cell) had an inbalance of 0.07 V after 248 cycles.

Lets see exactly how much worse is .302 inbalance with 3S pack discharted to 10 volts versus .07 V inbalance.Someone want to do the math?

In the past when myself and a few others stated that we enjoyed in excess of 400 flights using a Thunder Power Lipoly by observing reasonable LiPoly care practices we were not believed by most. majority staed they had no better luck with TPs than the cheaper Lipolys.

Now that I tested a Turnigy top of the line at very moderate levels in comparison ,concerns are being raised as to best practices.

Another 3S 2200 LiPoly I have been testing recently was discharged as a 3S 2200 up to 60 Amps. then I added leads to a single cell and tested it at 80,90,100, and 110 amps. and then retuned it to a 3S confijuration and I am still flying / testing it,. It has been discharge very deeply many times including to below 10V resting (147F) one month and 59 flights ago. Flew it yeterday morning and it is doing just fine .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1244249

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 06, 2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: corrected LVC