Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:03 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Radian transport box build

Transporting a 2 meter (77" wing span and up) glider, sailplane (segelflug, segelfliegen) to the flying field was something as a beginner I really didn't give much thought to - opps. What car can I use, my MINI or the sedan without folding rear seats and just a trunk?

I like to keep the original boxes of most all my models - I seemed to have been set in my ways owning Tamiya art packed models. After receiving my Radian RTF the box design, photography and graphics are second to none, just as good as the Radian flying characteristics.

Those of us that own smaller cars are limited in what we can haul around and the Radian RTF box is no exception - it's BIG and long. After five or six times with this crammed into my MINI Cooper and opening and closing, pulling out everything, the toll is showing on my nice box, plus the fact it is not field friendly.

The other issue I have is, comfortably fitting my family (within reason in a MINI) and to have my wife and daughter follow along for the RC flying experience, this means folding one rear seat down and getting three in plus the Radian. You can stuff the RTF box into the MINI, but, it has to be upright and sticks well into the front seating area and along side the rear passenger. Not so good.

I had to make something light, protective and that would fit inside the back without affecting the occupants too much. Just a simple transportation device. Here's what I made.

I had some leftover white Coroplast pieces from the shipping department at work and needed to tape these together to make them long enough. Easy enough, just use 3M clear packaging tape! Strong and sturdy.

Parts and Tools used
- Coroplast plastic sheets
- Velcro
- Hot glue gun
- 3M clear packaging tape
- Xacto #11
- Scissors
- Small brass channel
- Spare recycled foam pieces of various sizes

Dimensions
12" tall x 6" wide x 46" long.

Base is 46" long x 6" wide
Sides are 46" long x 12" high
Ends are 12" high x 6" wide

- Measure and cut out the Coroplast pieces.

- Tape all of these together on both sides and mount in your foam pieces to hold the Radian in snug. See photos. That's it!

[note: I made a simple central reinforcement piece that uses velcro and goes over the wings and fuselage. Not needed, but I felt this added some extra support].
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 01, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts