HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:10 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Help!
Where can I buy RC Airplane KITS in the DC area?

I generally have to buy my kits from ebay or rcuniverse, but sometimes I feel like shopping for a kit in a store. Any thoughts on where I can buy kits in the DC area? Hobby Hanger in Chantily has only ARFs...I am looking for kits...

4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:55 PM
Curmudgeon at large
Cedar City, Ut.
Joined Dec 2009
167 Posts
You might try
www.yellowpages.com, or simply look in your local phone book
Look for Big Sky Hobbies, there are over twenty hobby stores in the Alexandria area.

If you want to order kits on line look at Tower Hobbies or Sig model Aircraft.
oskartek is offline Find More Posts by oskartek
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Believe it or not, none of the stores in the Alexandria area sell RC airplane kits! A few sell ARFs, most sell only model train stuff. I generally use Tower Hobbies to buy new planes, but sometimes it is nice to shop in a store and buy things in a whim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskartek View Post
You might try
www.yellowpages.com, or simply look in your local phone book
Look for Big Sky Hobbies, there are over twenty hobby stores in the Alexandria area.

If you want to order kits on line look at Tower Hobbies or Sig model Aircraft.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:54 AM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Believe it or not, none of the stores in the Alexandria area sell RC airplane kits! A few sell ARFs, most sell only model train stuff. I generally use Tower Hobbies to buy new planes, but sometimes it is nice to shop in a store and buy things in a whim.

There is a hobby shop in Chatilly (spelling) near Dulles Airport that has about any plane you would want.
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
That is the Hobby Hanger, which is a great hobby shop, but they only keep ARFs on stock! I was hoping that someplace around here would have a decent selection of kits.

Hobby Hanger used to carry kits, but they have not for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg96 View Post
There is a hobby shop in Chatilly (spelling) near Dulles Airport that has about any plane you would want.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:16 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
That is the Hobby Hanger, which is a great hobby shop, but they only keep ARFs on stock! I was hoping that someplace around here would have a decent selection of kits.

Hobby Hanger used to carry kits, but they have not for about a year now.
I'm afraid your best bet is gonna be Balsa USA, BTE Engineering, Penn Valley Hobbies all on line and I can recommend both BTE and Penn Valley. Good people and good products.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:16 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Best to do your shopping on line for kits. I agree with the companies mentioned by the previous author. Read on the discussion sites like this and see what others fly, and then shop online.

L. Jasmann
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann