HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
Small update for instructions.
I have changed those 4mm bullet bushes with EC5 connectors.
Also drilling through contact for bridging, I have not seen any issues with that as there is through connections already.

I have made several of these during past days, no issues found.
Trickies part is to make second unit to "no DC gnd" as all three screw connections on bottom has to be made non connecting to minus pad.
If there is continuity and you just believe that you scored the build. Just plug mains connection first to power and then to wall, whoopii and You blow your fuse, or even burn Your house.

So be careful with connections you made!
Stay safe.

Regards
Sami
SJo1 is offline Find More Posts by SJo1
Last edited by SJo1; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added some information
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2013, 10:45 AM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
To isolate the DC ground from the case, can't you just disconnect the AC line input ground ring terminal that is near the AC input connector?
darkfa8 is offline Find More Posts by darkfa8
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Help With DPS800GBA

Does anyone know if the DPS800GBA has a fuse inside, I had two of these connected together (One floating) for a 24V+ charging station, the floating ground unit has stopped outputting power, the fans still spin but the green LED does not light up and there is no power output.
Topangler is offline Find More Posts by Topangler
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:28 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topangler View Post
Does anyone know if the DPS800GBA has a fuse inside, I had two of these connected together (One floating) for a 24V+ charging station, the floating ground unit has stopped outputting power, the fans still spin but the green LED does not light up and there is no power output.
Yes it has one fuse on the AC power it`s located near the ac power input and covered with a black shrink tube. But if the fan still going this fuse must be in order.
culexus is offline Find More Posts by culexus
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for the info re the fuse, I checked it and its good so now I'm stuck, no idea why the fans spin but no power out put.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Topangler is offline Find More Posts by Topangler
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
132 Posts
ATSN 7001044 Keeps Shutting Down

Evening guys.

I hope you can help me perhaps.
I've started making these up to order and inadvertently got sent some DPS-800GB's and ATSN 7001044 PSU's, so I thought great as I could have a play.
Well the play meant messing two up and possibly this one ATSN 7001044, should have read further about the multi layer tracks ooops.

Anyway, I half messed up one of the ATSN 7001044's floating the DC earth points, the centre point may have gone too deep into the pcb and severed some copper tracks.
However it is working (sat beside me now working away in fact) but every so often it shuts down. I've since found out that if I leave it, it comes back on again.

I've read about the caps possibly going bad, found one bulging and so have replaced all of them with the same ratings if just a different make, including the large AC caps as well from the previously working DPS-800's I shorted out.
But this has not helped and while I'm confident to poke around being a former engineer by trade, fault finding what could possibly being wrong now is eluding me.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ian
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:54 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Just a quick question here.

After isolating the DC on the 2nd PSU i plugged it in to test. I measured 190v over the case and the positive terminal. . The voltage rose over 5 seconds to 190v.

What have i done wrong here or is it because i did not have the first PSU connected?

I am reluctant to continue until sorting this out
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Last edited by lipoflyer; Sep 15, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:55 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
After following the rest of the instructions all is good. 25V and all the amps my 3010B can eat
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Last edited by lipoflyer; Sep 16, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
I have managed to save 4 of these DPS-800's from being scrapped when servers got decommissioned at work.
Anybody interested in buying them?
Can sell them as-is (no mod) or modified for hobby use as per SJ01's method. I've modded 2 for myself using that method previously and they still working like a charm. See my post earlier in this thread.
UK buyers only unless you prepared to pay crazy shipping fees.
Quadrant is offline Find More Posts by Quadrant
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
41 Posts
can someone help me on the isolating the dc on the second supply. I am a bit confused. am I just removing the grounding connection from the case to the pcb where the standoff's are? Then what point do I test from with the multimeter? case to the ground on the pcb?
paedbo is offline Find More Posts by paedbo
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paedbo View Post
can someone help me on the isolating the dc on the second supply. I am a bit confused. am I just removing the grounding connection from the case to the pcb where the standoff's are? Then what point do I test from with the multimeter? case to the ground on the pcb?
Would having the hot-swap backplane make any of this easier? I have the ML350 from where I pulled the supplies. I believe it's HP part# 413144-001.
BossRoss is offline Find More Posts by BossRoss
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,601 Posts
Unlikely. The whole point is to disconnect the DC out on the second supply from the metal case of the supply. Adding a back plane connector won't change that problem, I think.

Might make the connection of power and control pins a bit neater and easier though.

To answer the second question, you need to check there is no connection between the -Ve DC output of the supply and its metal case. It is also wise to check there is no connection between the -Ve DC out and the ground pin on the input mains connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossRoss View Post
Would having the hot-swap backplane make any of this easier? I have the ML350 from where I pulled the supplies. I believe it's HP part# 413144-001.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 25, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Mar 2005
41 Posts
thanks. I will check and disconnect continuity between the ground output of the second supply with the case. and then check continuity between the mains ground and the case and do the same.
paedbo is offline Find More Posts by paedbo
Old Nov 29, 2013, 03:32 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
768 Posts
I'm a big fan of these units based on power to for factor, and currently using a pair for 2kW power to supply a PL8 and a icharger.

What I'm curious to know is, has anyone experienced failure of the switching circuits such that mains voltage passes to the terminals? Especially the floated unit..

If you have experienced this for this or any other reputed server power supply, please chime in. Data like this is pretty hard to come by. This topic was debated elsewhere, but the conclusion was more around compliance and safety vs actual data points. I posted this question in the DPS -600 thread as well. Not trolling, just want to hear your experiences.
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
I have just modified a DPS-800GB A power supply following the instructions;
pins 31 + 34
pins 30 + 12V

and testing without load i see a voltage of 12.8V - without the 30+12V pins shorted, voltage seemed much closer to 12.0V

I do NOT want >12.2V since this is for computer components rather than RC battery charging - Is the pin 30+12V connection designed to achieve a higher (12.8V) output, or will it drop to 12.0V once a load is applied?
klondike_bar is offline Find More Posts by klondike_bar