SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:07 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,237 Posts
Discussion
Wrong Power Supply, Can I still Use It?

Alright guys, so I picked up a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger. I purchased it new, but I bought it off of someone from the forums, so no power supply. If I would have ordered it from HK I would have just picked up a power supply from them, but since I didn't want to wait a month I ordered here in the states.
Anyway, I knew that I needed a 12v 5a power supply. No problem there. However, yesterday it came in and definitely was a different tip than I was expecting! I guess I should have done a little more research, but since the pic didn't show the tip and this company (purchased through buy.com) had this same pic up for like 30 different listings I guess I didn't think about it and just assumed the tip would be a normal 9,16 or 32 size tip. However, that was not the case. It was a 4 prong type tip. I found a pic on another website showing it. (attached below)
So my question is will this work? I was thinking about just cutting off the end and soldering a regular tip on, but I wasn't sure if that were possible? Is there 4 seperate wires? Anyone know of an adaptor. I've sent an email to the company and hope they have the correct one that I can just switch out, but it's such a pain waiting for stuff in the mail/ spending money sending stuff back.
Also, since I'm talking about it, does anyone happen to know the actual size of the tip that goes into the Accucell 6 (9,16 or 32)

Thanks in advance for any help.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:40 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Are you saying the Accucell 6 does not come with the proper input battery jack harness? Whoa.

As for the power supply, you should plug it in and test each of the 4 pins. It should work fine, just need the - and + wires. If you find these as expected, cut the power jack and hardwire the one you need to the wires.
As for the power jack, perhaps try Radio Shack?
I just did a recall of 75 of a product I build at my 9-5 due to an incorrect power jack. The inside male pin on the unit was smaller than the female pin on the supply and this caused an intermittent power connection.
If you have a way to measure the male pin on your charger, do that before looking.
If not, take your charger with you on your search.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:16 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,846 Posts
yeah, I had to modify the three laptop power supplies I bought to match the power plug on my chargers too. Just cut the connector off, peel back the insulation some, carefully spread the wires apart and power it up and see which two wires you want to use to power the charger with. Then solder on the correct connector as needed.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:34 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
yeah, I had to modify the three laptop power supplies I bought to match the power plug on my chargers too. Just cut the connector off, peel back the insulation some, carefully spread the wires apart and power it up and see which two wires you want to use to power the charger with. Then solder on the correct connector as needed.
Thanks earlwb. So basically I'm just looking for the positive and negative out of the wires after cutting open? Also how are you testing for which wires are correct? Did you just plug in the tip to the charger and plug the power supply in and then touch wires until you found what powered on the charger? Thanks again.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
88 Posts
If it is a 12V 5 amp rated adapter, it will working hard on a 50W charger.
I would not charge at 5-6 amp with it for a long period of time. However I did jast that in the past, but I've taken the top of the adapter off and put a small 80mm PC case fan over it to keep things cooled.

Use a digital volt meter to find 12 V leads.
solar696 is offline Find More Posts by solar696
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:44 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar696 View Post
If it is a 12V 5 amp rated adapter, it will working hard on a 50W charger.
I would not charge at 5-6 amp with it for a long period of time. However I did jast that in the past, but I've taken the top of the adapter off and put a small 80mm PC case fan over it to keep things cooled.

Use a digital volt meter to find 12 V leads.
What size would you recommend? I only purchased this power supply due to the fact that it's the same specs as the one thats recommended on HK to purchase for use with the Accucell 6. What would you recommend I charge at with this power supply?
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:23 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,901 Posts
What size packs are you wanting to charge?
At a 1C charge rate, that power supply should not have a problem with 3s packs up to 3000mah, 2000mah for sure.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:36 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,237 Posts
The largest is 3s 2200. Don't plan to charge at more than 1C. I have enough batteries to do all of my charging at home throughout the week.

Just so happens the company carries the standard 5.5mm tip, so I dropped this one in the mail and they are sending that one to me. Thanks for your help guys.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Sep 2009
88 Posts
Accucell 6 is likely falls in the category of 70% efficient charger.
meaning it will pull 5 amp from the power supply to put out (charge) high 3 to 4 amps at ~ 12V which is where your 3Slipo is.
If you only charge at 2200ms 0r 2.2 amp or at 1C with your current battery, your adapter will be fine , but it will be warm (normal).

The thing is when you have 5 amp capable charger such as your accucell 6, the devil in you (or min me) will attempt to charge at 3, 4 or 5 amp when you are in the hurry.
Also as you advance you will want larger batteries and larger crafts, planes or helis.
SO.... mine as well order a better power supply now. Seriously.

like this one: Cheap, shipped fast it is here in the USA ( well....now it shows out of stock)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-g350-powersupply.html

I have one; I've taken it apart and it is poorly made, but works.
solar696 is offline Find More Posts by solar696
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:32 AM
Dahlonega, GA
Joined Jul 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Are you saying the Accucell 6 does not come with the proper input battery jack harness? Whoa.
Rick
What he said. The Accucell 6 should come with an input jack with alligator clips on the other end to hook to your power supply. whoever sold you the charger did not include the input jack.
rdhood is offline Find More Posts by rdhood
Old Sep 03, 2010, 07:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,381 Posts
FWIW I don't think that is a laptop PS. It's probably an external hard disk supply and you will find it provides 12V and 5V. Hence the 4 pins. There will be a +12V, +5V and two grounds.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:31 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Just so happens the company carries the standard 5.5mm tip, so I dropped this one in the mail and they are sending that one to me. Thanks for your help guys.
Make sure the polarity is right before you plug it into the charger.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin