HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:34 PM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Question
What is your favorite sport plane?

Curious what people find to be the most respected sport plane from back in the day to current models.

As a fledgling flier with only a few planes under my belt it would be my new 70" great Planes Revolver, only three flights new so far and still tweaking several things but I'm really liking how solid it is in flight.
I did get a chance to fly a friends a .60 powered Sig King Cobra, one word describes the KC, SWEET!

So lets hear it, whats your favorite bird of all time?
ACKopter is offline Find More Posts by ACKopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:24 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,074 Posts
direct connection tsunami all the way. Very sweet flier no bad habits to think of. Mine was powered with a slimer but seen them converted to electric with retracts and still sweet. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:53 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Any of the Ultra Stick family from Horizon outfly everything I've ever tried It is the only plane I know of with no bad habits at all.

fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:00 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,249 Posts
The Big Stik works for me. I converted a gasser to electric. It flies in whatever the wind throws at me.
MrEWorm is offline Find More Posts by MrEWorm
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:48 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Seeing as I had one for 11 years, I reckon I have to vote for Sig's Four Star 40.

Mine had a few little alterations made to it, and 650W or so into a 15 x 10 on the nose. By then, it would outfly most similar models and doesn't cost a fortune to build or equip.

Unfortunately, when it was built, all photos were taken using something akin to chiselling images into stone slabs - it was called '35mm film' - and by the time it was all sorted out, my inadequate finishing skills were not the sort of thing I like to waste disc space on .

Doesn't matter - a model that can out slow-fly most old timers and then open up to knife edge loops, four point rolls and lots of other party tricks is pretty good stuff.

The Stik has possibilities. I was bought one by Spousal Unit, under some duress a couple of years back. After a couple of flights, I made the teeny-weeniest little change or two to it after finding its marketing to be better than its performance.

It doesn't equal the Four Star by a long way, but at least it'll do basics like KE and other odd tricks. But, for an high winged aileron trainer, it's not bad after I dealt with those trivial issues.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:03 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,691 Posts
I'll also go with the Four Star. Very forgiving slow flight character, and will do most aerobatics except for some 3D things.

Crashed her this Summer, but no worries, she's back and with a new motor.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 05, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:42 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Not a great deal of responses yet but this thread does seem to be gaining momentum. Looks like the Sticks and 4* 40 are getting most of the attention. I have a Mid Star 40, its my go to plane when conditions are less than ideal. Its so predictable and user friendly that I feel most comfortable with it when things get pretty bumpy aloft
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:39 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,943 Posts
Right now its gotta be the GP Super Sportster BL. The SS is a great sport plane design and flying it is a blast. But I am soon going to get a built airframe of the Goldberg Tiger 2 .40 kit and I heard that plane is also a great sport plane.
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:10 AM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,667 Posts
The Stick series are hard to beat for durability and availability. I was looking for something like the Sig Four-Star but wanted just a little bit more aesthetically pleasing lines. Sort of like the difference between a Hawker Hurricane versus the Supermarine Spitfire!
Something that properly powered would be fully aerobatic but still have a relatively low wing loading to land slowly but penetrate the winds if they arose. After much research and surveys within the club and RCGroups, this was the electric conversion choice I made. The Carl Goldberg Model Products Tiger 60.
I purchased the kit as I like to build but many successful electric conversions have been made with the ARF version as well. The wife applied the covering scheme as it matched the pilot who flies the airplane!
It flies very smoothly, like a pattern trainer but has very solid landing characteristics even in the winds we have here in Colorado. I've let a few of our club members fly her and they have all agreed, it lands,"Grreat!" Ar-Arr!
The nose is streamlined on this one and the landing gear was converted to taildragger configuration along with a slightly enlarged rudder, for better knife-edge flight capabilities, otherwise she is stock.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 07, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:00 AM
Jupiter Fl
Joined Mar 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
Any of the Ultra Stick family from Horizon outfly everything I've ever tried It is the only plane I know of with no bad habits at all.

+1

Huge Ultra Stick fan here! 40 size from Hangar 9... I can always see having one in some size or another...
gsnewflyer is offline Find More Posts by gsnewflyer
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:43 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
My personal favourite is my Maxford GeeBee-Y, it has proven with a few tweaks to be a first class performer, and it's very well put together, although only 40" wingspan it is rock solid and flys like a much larger model.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Last edited by trumps; Sep 11, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'll put in a vote for GWS Formosa, either large or small. I love the look of pattern planes, and I love how they fly.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:34 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Seeing as I had one for 11 years, I reckon I have to vote for Sig's Four Star 40.

Mine had a few little alterations made to it, and 650W or so into a 15 x 10 on the nose. By then, it would outfly most similar models and doesn't cost a fortune to build or equip.

Unfortunately, when it was built, all photos were taken using something akin to chiselling images into stone slabs - it was called '35mm film' - and by the time it was all sorted out, my inadequate finishing skills were not the sort of thing I like to waste disc space on .

Doesn't matter - a model that can out slow-fly most old timers and then open up to knife edge loops, four point rolls and lots of other party tricks is pretty good stuff.

The Stik has possibilities. I was bought one by Spousal Unit, under some duress a couple of years back. After a couple of flights, I made the teeny-weeniest little change or two to it after finding its marketing to be better than its performance.

It doesn't equal the Four Star by a long way, but at least it'll do basics like KE and other odd tricks. But, for an high winged aileron trainer, it's not bad after I dealt with those trivial issues.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck,

It takes a real man to fly a pink airplane! That looks good. I used to fly a pink sailplane. I never had to worry about it being stolen!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 09, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:26 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,431 Posts
The Great Planes Reactor is my favorite all around plane by a landslide.

It looks great! It's nearly as smooth flying as a pattern plane on low rates and it 3D's very well on high rates. This is one plane that will definitely make you look like a better pilot the first time you fly it. BTW, I fly mine on 6S 4000 with a Scorpion 4024-10 and a Phoenix 60 controller and an APC 14x8. The entire power system I bought used and it still spanks the pants off of any of the glow powered versions out there. In fact, just yesterday I was approached about selling it. I told him you couldn't pry it out of my cold, dead hands...lol Oh, I almost forgot, you can slow it down for a greased in 3 point landing too. It's one of the most under rated planes on the market IMHO.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 15, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:00 AM
Branford, Florida
Joined Jun 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
The Great Planes Reactor is my favorite all around plane by a landslide.

It looks great! It's neatly as smooth flying as a pattern plane on low rates and it 3D's very well on high rates. This is one plane that will definitely make you look like a better pilot the first time you fly it. BTW, I fly mine on 6S 4000 with a Scorpion 4024-10 and a Phoenix 60 controller and an APC 14x8. The entire power system I bought used and it still spanks the pants off of any of the glow powered versions out there. In fact, just yesterday I was approached about selling it. I cold him you couldn't pry it out of my cold, dead hands...lol Oh, I almost forgot, you can slow it down for a greased in 3 point landing too. It's one of the most under rated planes on the market IMHO.

Uh Oh, when I was picking a new plane I narrowed my choice down to three, Segull Models .46 Edge 540, GP 70" Revolver, and the GP .46 Reactor
I bought the edge and it was'nt quite what I was looking for, now have the Revolver and am enjoying it for sure but it is darn tough for me to land, after reading your post looks like I might have to try option #3 before its all said and done.
Oh well, one can never have too many planes.