HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by craig_c, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
We are close to having a set of stations for Aphrodite 3 so I will be doing some serious bending but having used ammonia back in the late 80's, early 90's I am pretty much convinced it is more hassle than help. Steam, heat, thickness and wood type are the key players.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:41 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
I worked a couple of summers when I was younger with the local Parks and Rec, Part of the job was maintenance at some of the ice rinks. A couple of them used ammonia as a refrigerant. When you were working on the equipment you had a Scott Pack for everyone involved, you didn't have to wear it, but it had to be within reach. I think that that ammonia would have been strong enough to curl wood. Personally I have always ether steamed of soaked wood.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:39 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
I worked a couple of summers when I was younger with the local Parks and Rec, Part of the job was maintenance at some of the ice rinks. A couple of them used ammonia as a refrigerant. When you were working on the equipment you had a Scott Pack for everyone involved, you didn't have to wear it, but it had to be within reach. I think that that ammonia would have been strong enough to curl wood. Personally I have always ether steamed of soaked wood.
Regards,
Gerald.
That was the right stuff alright, Gerald! Pure anhydrous ammonia!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
That was the right stuff alright! Pure anhydrous ammonia!
If you look at the tank that anhydrous ammonia is stored in you will see a big Hazmat sticker. Ran blueprint machines briefly before the ascendency of ocee printing. One of the jerk administrators came in one day when the fumes were so thick you could barely breathe and made the profound statement that it was the same stuff you put in your food, (i.e. fertilizer). So much for a college degree. The guy was so stupid he didn't even know what he didn't know.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:01 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Added some more threads to the Threads List above.

I also added some more books to the books list as well as started linking them so you can find them more easily if you want a copy or if you want to know if your local library has a copy in the stacks. Use the WorldCat (A world-wide, linked library system) link on the review pages.

Keep sending me those links and threads guys... I'll get 'em up.

ps... I'm a touch behind in my email... Lost a couple of teeth on Friday so been taking the weekend a bit slow... I'm get back in touch with you within a couple of days.

Thanks for all the assistance,
Craig

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:43 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Good going Craig. We need a thread like this and I for one am very happy to see it here. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:45 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,135 Posts
1949 20' Chris-Craft Custom Runabout lost in time…

woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:22 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,135 Posts

Seas The Bay
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:26 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
Not for the "faint at heart"... indeed!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 11, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:43 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
$10,500 is a lot of money for what won't even amount to a load of firewood. It would be easier to start from scratch, maybe not any cheaper but easier.

Randy
dinosaursoupma is offline Find More Posts by dinosaursoupma
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:48 PM
Bavaria, about 45km from Neuschwanstein-Castle
Joined Nov 2006
222 Posts
Must be a nice job to build it as a model...
FatBeech is offline Find More Posts by FatBeech
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Not for the "faint at heart"... indeed!
Doesn't look all that bad but 10k is way out there for what I see here. Maybe 2k at the most if the trailer goes with it. Pete
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
It has a nice patina to it.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:14 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,730 Posts
Here's a "woodie" I'm starting. The drawing is a plan of the outside shape of the hull which I drew last night. Later I was looking for an old yacht about 120 feet long and came up with the Mariner lll which happens to have about the same shape as the hull I drew at 122 feet long and 20 feet wide.. My hull will be two feet narrower and two feet shorter but that will hardly be noticed.
I will use the Mariner lll as an example of a yacht from the 1920's along with several other yachts to get what I consider a nice looking yacht from the 20's. Sort of a composite model and not of any specific yacht.
If anyone happens to come across any pictures of the Mariner lll or her sister ship Infanta I'd appreciate a link to what you find.
Anyway the hull plan is drawn so now it's time for the hull elevation or side view. Don't know what the bottom of a yacht like this should look like so unless a picture shows up along the way I'll be winging it. All CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcome so long as you offer a solution to the percieved problem. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Sep 08, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Like you, Pete, I like the covered fantail on the model in the second picture. It really adds to the yachtlike look of the model. Looking forward to this next build of yours. Any idea of what scale or size she'll be?
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940