HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by craig_c, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
A 1935 Labbat Art deco overland beer truck. this was right after prohibition was repealed. during this time it was still illeagal to advertise directly to the consumers, so trucks like these were meant to be functional billboards, transport the stuff to market, and catch the eye at the same time.

Why did advertising stop being gorgeous? That is rolling sculpture. Magnificent!
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:05 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Because it wasn't neccesary anymore.. in fact, that truck pictured is only half original. Labbat had some 25 of those trucks built between 1933 and 1947. all of them were hand built from a reputed coach works, rolled alluminum over a wood frame. and the only thing that is original about that particular truck is the trailer. it was found being used as a consturction companies rolling office, no cabs exist any more and that cab right there is a 1947 White's tractor. the rear fenders for it were found in the netherlands, and the rest of the body for the front was recreated around them and photgraphs as refrence.

that truck is owned by labatts and the restoration and recreation was completed in 1989, and it still makes its rounds on the show circuit.

some more interesting thing about that (original) truck design, it was the first overland truck to incoroporate a anti jack knifing fifth wheel design and.. .air brakes!

rolling scuplture it may be, but as a true overland truck it's woefully impractical. she needed to be hand loaded, where as modern traler design is standerdised so as to have a predictable loads of skids, and weight and that a fork truck can be driven off and on to.

beer trucks still carry rolling billboards, just not as fancy...

a fully laden beer truck is carrying usually 24-26 skids, and each one of those skids is about 2000lbs each by the way.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
708 Posts
beer truck

I bow to words of knowledge, however a friend of mine has on his PC a series of pictures showing a motor home simular to this that you walk up to the top via the rear of the unit, the builder has installed a steering wheel that is connected to the top of what was the original steering column as I wrote he then drives it down the street from the top, Have you ever seen this?
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:34 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yeah, Tim B posted one up thread, that's a mid 30's era Deco-liner. there is a craft brewery in Oregon that is using a fully restored one as a special events vehicle, but it is not a transport vehicle like the labbats truck I showed. which was a fancified tractor/trailor rig

At the brewery I work for, we have a mid 50's international refrigerated milk delivery truck that we have turned into a special event tap truck.

no where near as classy looking as the deco era stuff I have shown off. Beerforce one as we call her has the nose of a school bus with a giant box hanging off the back end, duely rear axle, a three on the tree transmission and absolutly no power any thing with a top speed of 40mph.
and god speed to any one that gets it going that fast!

we dont let her go more than 30 miles away from the brewery... she's brutal and doesn't like to venture far from home.

the refer bocks runs off of 210AC and that's to run the compressors that ice up two ice panel in the box. takes three days to ice them up, but it takes a week and a half for them to defrost.

she's a ugly, tempermental old broad, but folks love her.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:12 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
708 Posts
brewery

Here is useles piece of information a few years ago well actualy it was 1945 I worked for Watney Coombs and Reed in London, the company allowed the work force a bottle of beer a day, as a newbee my introduction to alchol [15 was not legal age fo dinking] was a glass of stout the kicker to drink through a straw I didn't finish the beer I was realing all over the place finally passing out on brewery sacks, with freshly malted beer the dregs of hops are in the bottom of he glass and that is what you first drink.
One other miscnseption as to English beer being warm thats a myth, I will agree it is not a cold as beer coming out of a reach in fridge here in the US it is not warm, the LVA Licensed Vitular Association rules are beer delivered back in those days via carts hauled by dray horses to the pubs cellar where it was lowered down a wood ramp using a rope, the barrel is placed in a corner of he cellar a small amount of brew was drawn by the drayman [ I suspect this was a law the delivery man made up] and the barrel taged beer was not allowed to be drawn from that barrel until 24 hours elapsed, by which time trust me it was cold.
One other useles piece of information again the law drawn up by the LVA spirits all have to be dispensed unlike in the US via a shot glass, has to be visual that is why the bottles of spirits are upside down on a dispencer rack that upon a glass being pushed upwards the two bars across depress allowing alchol to fill the optic should the glass be drawn away to fast the balance of alchol will remain visual. The measured ammount of spirit called an optic which is one fith of a gill no more no less, it is in my considered well practiced opinion quite a lot less than a shot.
Here endith the frst and last chapter of useless information
David AKA The Brit
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
Last edited by fudi50; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
RC Sailboat Builder
Sarasota, FL
Joined Aug 2007
33 Posts
Aphrodite Commuter Launch laser cut frames and cabin parts

See http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/mft for Aphrodite frames and parts cut from 1/8 x 12 x 24" white birch plywood at 1" to 1' scale and other sizes including 48" and 37".
The Aphrodite has drawn more inquires than other models prompting me to offer
The 60' Consolidated Commuter as well.

See http://www.thehistoryman.com site by Daniel O'Neill for a PhotoShow of his Consolidated build which shows the frames that I offer. They are from the drawings that Daniel provided.

I have over 40 designs on my website and offer a 4 gigabyte memory stick with over 80 folders of the models I provide frames and plans for.

Mthrasher@verizon.net
MiltonThrasher is offline Find More Posts by MiltonThrasher
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
233 Posts
Could anyone provide me with a link to the Sterling model boat that is powered by an OS or Saito (cannot remember which) Marine four stroke motor? It is on RCG somewhere and I cannot seem to locate it.

It appeared to be one of the finest quality builds I have seen, inside and out. I would like to have a look at the pictures again but cannot find the build thread.
King of Plane is online now Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
If anyone wants there own,much smaller, copy of the above beer truck, Sylvan models makes a resin kit of it in HO scale.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Est-ce que vous parles anglais ?
OBW
désolé mais je ne suis pas un champion en anglais....

http://riva.blog4ever.com/blog/index-296114.html
gedeon is offline Find More Posts by gedeon
Last edited by gedeon; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:48 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Aug 2008
62 Posts
Woodies: scratch Baby Bootlegger

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I created a thread for my Triple cockpit 2 days ago (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1804505). But what I want to introduce here is my Baby Bootlegger which is my new (and first!) scratch building.

I hope you will enjoy following my construction! (Do we say "following" or "to follow"?)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23763554

Pierre
chipalipo is offline Find More Posts by chipalipo
Last edited by chipalipo; Jan 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
Ms Q
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Shorleave/ Nedeva 5 informatiion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH404 View Post
Hi Predreadnut,

Actually this is really good news...I'm very happy for the grand old lady.. Perhaps it would have been nice had she stayed in the U.S. but being that she was restored and was given her original name back is the best thing that could have happened to her. She now has a new lease on life.

It surely beats having her sold locally to become a liveaboard by someone that would let her deteriorate further. Now with her being a charter, you can track her whereabouts and who knows, one day buy her if the circumstance is right.

I do hope that they remove some of the added wood for that closed deck living space. It was not part of the original "Nedeva" but added later on when she got to Seattle.

Do you have any more info about where she is being chartered?

-Rich.
Yes, there is information for you to look at on the Shorleave/ Nedeva 5. All information is recent and updated. She was sold 10/2010 to Mr Georg Papp of Bremerhaven, Germany. Of which she now resides. Her outside is fully finished and inside is almost complete. Lower level staterooms are being attented to at this time with the date of Apirl to be finished. Mr Papp has a facebook page with photos and some info on page. You could send him a message there to which he may or not respond to. I worked on her till the end as my father was her past owner. Hope this give you the details you were looking for. Maybe you will be inspired to book accomodations on her while you explore Germany. Ms Q :
Diana Q is offline Find More Posts by Diana Q
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:30 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
Thanks Diana!

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:01 PM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Woodies - Restore Rebuild help needed

Hi All,

My Dad built this model 40 plus years ago - all balsa construction. I don't know if he built from plans or scratch built. It originally had a steam engine installed and you had to set the tiller arm so that it went out into the pond, described a gentle arc and returned to you. It never did and I can remember as a kid having to wade all over to retrieve it - great fun. It was very slow and susceptible to any wind whatsoever. It is 650mm long with a beam at widest point of 18mm (25.5 inches - 7inches)

My Dad passed away in 2009 and with the model having survived (sort of) being stored in the garage and numerous moves, my brother and I have decided to rebuild/restore her. I was thinking of installing an electric power train. As a parkflyer this is going to be something different for sure.

As far as I can make out she is a 1958 /60 services launch used by the UK Metropolitan Police on the Thames.

Any help whatsoever, pics of models or the original, plans whatever you can help with, will really be appreciated.
Helron is offline Find More Posts by Helron
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,128 Posts
This is my first post to woodys with my triple cockpit Chris Craft I built a while ago.I decided it needed some upgrades
I changed the older type windshield with a newer one and replaced the rub rails with 1/8" chrome.
Browndog is online now Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts
Well done, thank you for the posts...
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 29, 2013 at 03:14 PM.