HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2003, 10:21 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
GWS EDF 50 - what to build?

I just got an EDF 50 - I have no idea what to build for it.

I think I'd like it to be a flying wing type affair. I've done a little searching on it & found one foam wing plan......I'm more interested in either balsa or carbon rod (eg mini ifo) type construction - has anyone got any plans that I can use or related links?

Cheers

Soundman
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:30 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Give my Fun Jet a try, hope you like speed in a 5oz package. First page has dwg dfx files and second page has pdf file. Heres the link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=123838

Thanks epilot.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Last edited by Thatovalguy; Jul 01, 2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:42 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,881 Posts
The link points to a non-existing page.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=123838
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jul 01, 2003, 01:28 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,552 Posts
As soon as we can convince him to kit it. Make sure to check the video. Not an indoor foamie

MIG-15
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2003, 07:37 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
"Not an indoor foamie"

I'll tell you what, at 5.4oz its the most bang for less than a buck you can get. Most of all my flying is done outside and this little foamy can clock about 40-50 mph level flight top end, a little much for indoor, but can slow down to a nice calm pace for cruising around indoors too. Has no bad tip stall problems. Loops from level flight with ease, and not some tight ugly loop but a nice large round loop. Little hard to spin but once in it stays till you relax the sticks and comes out by its self. Nice all around airplane to get you feet wet in ducted fans. Best of all it can be built and flown in a couple nights easy.

My 8yr old daughter has had her hands on it and did well. She has only minimal stick time on trainer planes that only need rudder input to turn.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 08:39 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,552 Posts
Thatovalguy,

The indoor foamie comment was not directed at your design. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The indoor foam "jets" I've seen don't fly like jets. The MIG-15 I linked to looks and flies like a jet. Best use I've seen of an EDF-50 IMHO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2003, 09:34 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Fun Jet

The Fun Jet is a blast, as stated. I have had difficulty in keeping the motors from burning up, but when they work they are great. I think I would go with the three blade fan next time.

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Jul 02, 2003, 12:24 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
No problem, sorry myself. Seems that the bearings are set to tight on the 50 motor. You need to oil them, front and rear. The rear you need to drill a hole where the shaft is, I use a exacto to bore the hole so it can be oiled. I use slick 50 to lube and m second motor is still going strong.

What happens is the bearing starts to freeze up on the shaft and this burns the motor up. My next build I'm going to try the new EDF 40 in differant air frame, actually 2, should be a cool project, can't say to much more right now.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:39 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
That Mig is looking nice!!! Any idea if kits are going to be made - is it as case of when or if?

The fun jet looks like fun too - I don't have any foam though, I need to find a source for fanfold foam in the uk.

I think I'm just going to knock something together with carbon rod & see what happens....from what I can tell no-one has done anything with the edf 50 & a carbon assembly before - I'm sure someone somewhere must have, but I haven't seen any evidence as yet.

If anyone else has any other plans, please jump in - I'm still looking for ideas.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 07:39 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Well - I've decided not to just build something on a whim.

Just ordered some Depron, so I'll give the Funjet a try - just got to wait for it to turn up now

I've also seen a depron flying wing powered by an edf 50 which I'll have a go at also.......can't remember what it's called or who made it at the moment - but I've got the plans
Old Jul 02, 2003, 08:33 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soundman
That Mig is looking nice!!! Any idea if kits are going to be made - is it as case of when or if?
His first kit is an IPS-A powered HellCat currently in a great looking beta. A P-38 is also in the works. He indicated that he will be kitting the MIG-15 in one of the HellCat threads in the parkflyers section. I think he wants to get the HellCat kit off the ground first.
RCG Plus Member