HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
I have a few questions as I faithfully make my way thru the thread starting from page 1.

How do you remove the spinner? It wobbles a little. Typically they mount with a small bolt thru the center, but not this one.

What else? Oh yeah, how is the wing held on? I realize it comes with a large carbon rod that feeds into the aluminum tube, but is that sufficient to keep the wings from pulling apart in flight? I think the review article mentions some screws that feed from the fuselage, into the wing, and snug up against the carbon rod, but I don't see any screws or holes in my kit (nitroplanes).
The spinner is a snap fit. Push on - pull off.
The wings are held on via 2 screws on each side. CF rod goes through fuse, wings goes over CF rod. On the underside of each wing, there are 2 recessed screws. Each screw, when turned tightens upon a sort of ring clamp. Do NOT unscrew too far or the screw threads will exit the clamp. You'll have a bugger of a time getting it threaded again. Best done when the rod is not in the wing if you unscrew it too far.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
The spinner is a snap fit. Push on - pull off.
The wings are held on via 2 screws on each side. CF rod goes through fuse, wings goes over CF rod. On the underside of each wing, there are 2 recessed screws. Each screw, when turned tightens upon a sort of ring clamp. Do NOT unscrew too far or the screw threads will exit the clamp. You'll have a bugger of a time getting it threaded again. Best done when the rod is not in the wing if you unscrew it too far.
I cut a small square hole in the foam around the screws (not pretty) to get to the screws; works for me.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
I cut a small square hole in the foam around the screws (not pretty) to get to the screws; works for me.
Yeah, I wanted to avoid cutting the foam for that reason. I had one screw that came loose. Trying to screw it in with the rod out seemed to have gotten it threaded again. It allows the clamp ring to contract enough to make the screw meet up with the threaded part. I don't loosen them much anymore. Just enough for the rod to slide with some friction.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post

The landing: Well, have I read many times about how the Fox floats on and on
upon landing. But, I wasn't prepared for just how long it took. I did a final circuit with motor off, lined up for final approach at about 5m high, and waited and waited and waited........this thing just doesn't want to return to the earth! It must have been 200m before the model finally touched down, coming to an abrupt halt upon hitting the one and only small bush at the end of the strip. Very slight damage ( a small dent in the foam) to the left wing but nothing more.

Cheers guys,

A very contented Fox flyer.
For me, I just put it down on the grass at speed and let the grass put the brakes on it. Works for me.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
heavier rods

Still reading, but wanted to ask another couple questions...

Acknowledging that the rudder and elevator control mechanism is one of the main weak points on this model, it appears that one of the main issues is simply the size/diameter/stiffness of the rods used.

Has anyone tried a simple mod of slipping out the control rods and putting in their place something stiffer?

BTW - thanks for the previous responses about the spinner and wing join. that really helped. Once I knew how the spinner was on, it popped right off with just a slight squeeze where the prop exits.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Still reading, but wanted to ask another couple questions...

Acknowledging that the rudder and elevator control mechanism is one of the main weak points on this model, it appears that one of the main issues is simply the size/diameter/stiffness of the rods used.

Has anyone tried a simple mod of slipping out the control rods and putting in their place something stiffer?

BTW - thanks for the previous responses about the spinner and wing join. that really helped. Once I knew how the spinner was on, it popped right off with just a slight squeeze where the prop exits.
stiffer might work for the elevator; but the rudder has a goofy way to work and I don't think a stiffer rode will work for it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
stiffer might work for the elevator; but the rudder has a goofy way to work and I don't think a stiffer rode will work for it.
+1

The elevator control rod mod might work. Could be worth a try as a simple fix.

The rudder needs to be removed and re-hinged and a normal control horn fitted if it is to have any possibility of working effectively. A simple solution would be to lock it off in the neutral position and turn the fox using just aileron and elevator.

However, for peace of mind, I think it's best to relocate both the rear surface servos to the rear of the model. Lots of work I know but the best solutuin in the end.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
The rudder needs to be removed and re-hinged ...
Why complete removal and rehinging as opposed to just disconnecting the rod and then placing the servo ,a small rod, and a control horn on the rudder? I.e., what is wrong with the hinge?

Also, how much rudder throw would be typical on a glider like this? 1/2", 3/4", 1" ?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Why complete removal and rehinging as opposed to just disconnecting the rod and then placing the servo ,a small rod, and a control horn on the rudder? I.e., what is wrong with the hinge?

Also, how much rudder throw would be typical on a glider like this? 1/2", 3/4", 1" ?
I just disconnected the rod and added a servo on the rear; so far with about 6 flights no problem; as to throw, I have about 30 to 40 degrees either side max. I have my alerons and my rudder coupled in the transmitter via a switch coupled or not.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
More questions...

I got side-tracked with a few other projects...and the fact that I sent in my AR500 to be checked out before using it again.

I toyed around with the stock rudder and elevator setups and have been able to greatly improve the throws and response simply by relaxing the hinges, moving the connectors on the servo arms, and equalizing the throws.

In any case, I have a few more q's.

On the stock rudder mechanism, does anyone have a picture of it ("unmasked" ) with a description of how it works? I do not see any pics in the thread.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Whittier, CA
Joined Oct 2007
113 Posts
Fox Rudder

[QUOTE=
On the stock rudder mechanism, does anyone have a picture of it ("unmasked" ) with a description of how it works? I do not see any pics in the thread.[/QUOTE]

Greetings...

When the Metal Part is moved Up and Down by the control rod, the Larger Plastic part on the left moves to reposition the rudder. IT DID NOT WORK TO MY SATISFACTION.

I installed a servo at the rear of the fuselage to control the rudder.
fpshell is offline Find More Posts by fpshell
Old May 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,834 Posts
Ok I am close to committing to one of these, I am liking the room.

Not got through the entire thread, have a couple of questions

1:- Wondering if anyone has FPV'd one if so what sort of MAUW have people got to?

2:- The version 2 has the servo in the tail mod?? Looking at the HK pics I am just not sure.

3:- Seeing mention of hinge failure, has anyone run a bead of UHU por down the hinge line as a back up? Or are the hinges better now.

TIA advance, with finger poised to buy.

Cheers

Gary

I shall continue back through the thread.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 03, 2012, 05:13 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Gary, the fox 2.3 flies very well when you sort out all the issues. Unlike myself you are now aware of the issues before you make the decision to purchase. I dicovered the problems as Imhave been flying and crashing.If you want a big foam glider that will thermal well the fox is a good choice. However, it does not fly like a balsa / ply film covered model.

The fox 2.3 is my favorite glider at the moment and I have had flights over 40 minutes and have only used about 3 minutes of battery.

Get the C of G right. I fly mine 60 mm from leading edge. Measured next to fuselage at the wing root.
Fix the push rod issues, get rid of all the flexing.
Fix the hinges on all surfaces. I used pinned hinges.
Replace the screws that hold the wings on with M2x 8mm hex heads.

Do these things and you will have a great glider.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,939 Posts
spoilers

am not sure where in this thread i read about spoilers. if so, could you please direct me to the post?
thanks.
i would like to install spoilers of the kind that slide up or down and show up at the top surface. if the ones mentioned here are not of this type,
i found these on hk: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8576
has any1 used them? hints on installation?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 03, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
am not sure where in this thread i read about spoilers. if so, could you please direct me to the post?
thanks.
i would like to install spoilers of the kind that slide up or down and show up at the top surface. if the ones mentioned here are not of this type,
i found these on hk: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8576
has any1 used them? hints on installation?
thanks
I recall the discussion was about "spoilerons" (as opposed to flaperons). I have a few degrees of UP on both ailerons set to my flap switch. It was considered that this worked better than flaperons (DOWN) because UP doesn't make the plane balloon and hang up so much. I haven't found a profound difference in the way it lands with the spoilerons. I think those "speed brakes" may actually work better. If you get them, you should post about how the mod went and how they work.