SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMacRemote View Post
hi guys, been offline for a while (but still flying!!).

I've closed the other thread. thanks all for your comments!!

Heli (i think), yes, my motors i bought were waaaaay off (post was quite some time ago - page 4 i think). looks like i have a few idle bell motors sitting in the cupboard waiting for a new machine! my motor has actually worked itself out - turned out to be a wire problem. one wire was touching another in the wind. just needed to separate.

i'm flying it every weekend now and lovin it!! using 1.3 3s and its very well balanced and ample power for gliding. still haven't put a new swing mech in for the rudder.. but i always was a bad user of rudder. even on the real thing when i used to fly them out of cambden airport. i was lucky enough to do aerobatics in a dg1000 once (although i wasn't allowed to pilot it because i was still learning ;-(.

hey - anyone sloped this yet? i must admit, i'd like to slope her, but i'm very very nervous about landing her. she just doesn't want to come down!! (although i suppose a good updraft on a hill will slow her) most times i feel like i could set her on approach, go grab a coffee and come back 20 minutes later for the flare!

someone pointed out the stock engine and i've had a few on back order for a week or so. hopefully it doesn't take too long, although now my issues are resolved.

hey thanks Patrick for the fuse open shots. thats certainly given me food for thought.

Heil/Bird - i presume by now you have manged a flight or 8?? hopefully yes! i'm sure once you did your mods you loved it!

cheers
pete
I'll throw this out there although you're probably aware of this anyway..

If you have a receiver that will do flaps or landing gear or has an auxiliary channel, it's possible to program a mix where you have spoilerons where both ailerons can be made to go up a few degrees killing lift and helping to get her down more precisely. I did this with my ST Models Fox and landing her is MUCH easier than before. I plan on doing this with this Fox as well. Have fun!

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Hey Pete, welcome back. I am still building/mod./adding as it's too cold to go out flying.

Thanks for the compliment re heli's but I realy am just a rookie. The trick is to have LOTS of simulator time behind you. If you are not familiar with them it is a good idea to have someone with experience set it up(+show you how) Even an experienced heli pilot can't fly them if their not setup right. I have an HK450 (actually 3) so if you have any Q's.........Hmm, not here I guess. Read the reviews and be sure to deal with the tail drive issue.
Sorry guy, an MSR pretty much flys itself.

Rudders are just for steering on the ground for me
I had 1 ride in a glider (a "Blanic" or something like that) forward swept wings, 15 min's no thermals I have HK's "fly fast or crash" DG1000, tip stalling thing, but gotta love that whistle.

Patrick, I'm with you on the spoilerons. I have them set up on everything with 2 servos in the wings. That DG1000 I mentioned would need a lot of room to land without them. On the Fox I will be setting up slight flaps and spoilers (3 position switch) as Bird mentioned, since I already have the air brakes in.

I had to do something more while the fuse. was split so I made it easier to see on the cloudy or low light days. Name: SANY0177.jpg
Views: 512
Size: 61.0 KB
Description: Should make it easier to see.

It's 6:20 pm here Bird ? :-)
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
We did a late after noon Thanksgiving with friends + Cards - till late !

Um your attachment doesn't work for me.

I like the idea but ... the LED Lights draw How Much ?

yup yup yup TX programmed Ailerons fer sure !!!

Although the only two times I have had a chance to fly this bird
It landed slowley and with grace and IMHO with it's low mass
stopped fairly quickly on grass.

Now my Gersasis 2M Fox comes whistling over the fence at ludicrous speed
and has to be flown down to the grass with fingers crossed ! ( mode 9 )
Even WITH programmed Ailerons the ONLY time I got a satisfying landing
was on asphalt last Fall.
It touched down at MACH 2 and actually rolled out
without getting all SKOOCHY for a change. I can still see it .... aaaaaaa :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Attachment removed, it was another pic I removed in error (messing with attachments).

I have about 130 LED lights on my floater (6 on the Fox) and have never noticed any loss of flight time. Also, I usually hook them up to the ballance tap and only use them when needed. Don't know what the power draw is but it must be minimal.

Even on a plane that doesn't normally use them, spoilerons can be handy if you come in too high or fast. As rookies like me often do :-) More a matter of getting it in where I want than slowing it down. Just my opinion Bird, not trying to argue with you. :-)

I fly mode 9 all the time, especially with a plane. (mode 9, I like it :-) )

Your 2M Fox sounds like my DG1000, it has been slightly dammaged twice just from the high speed grass slide and catching a wing.

Happy thanksgiving Bird (sorry, and anyone else celebrating:-))
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
I'm not saying Dont do them !

If ya got em Use em ! fer sure !

What ever works for your situation.

It's just that guys who Cant do them dont need to feel left out
as "most" of the time they wont really need them.

I happen to be lucky enough to be flying on 2300' grass strip !

It's pretty taxing to make the field :-))))))

The Fox is just an Aero Tow toy !

It gets towed up by 100cc tugs dangling on the line - straight UP !

So I just do some rolls on tow and then pop off for a quick look around
and a fast fly by and a landing - sometimes before the tug gets down. :-)

I also have the 2.6M Salto and the 2.6 Discus.

I've HAD IT with the cheapo Chinese Gliders !

Mode 9 - kinda like "SPACE Quadrant 9" or just LEFT FIELD ! whatever :-)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:23 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
2300' shiiiiiiiiiiiioot, I have been in school yards untill this year, ie surrounded by trees, poles, buildings .......
This year I joined a club, football sized field still but no trees for hundreds of yards, big dif., nice. ;-)

Watched a lot of aerotow vid. but only recently caught one with the vert. climbs, nuts. But fun to watch. I need more "skills" before I try something like that. Gotta love whistling high speed glider passes though eh. I think thats what first drew me to them.

Fun stuff :-)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
There are some guys with large glass ships that really carry a lot of energy.
And those whistling passes are awesome !

I'm too cautious for that kinda stuff "most: of the time.

When ever I see an airport I'm getting ready to land, not show off.

My local site is a private strip so I dont even get Looky Luz !

I have to update this site for next season but you'll get the idea

http://www.balsabuddies.com/aerotow/index.htm
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Well, mine's ready for her maiden flight. I have the CG exactly at 40mm even though that seems far forward. I had to add 2oz of lead in the back to make up for my heavy E-Flite Power 15 motor. For those that have flown theirs, how was it at the 40mm CG point? I wound up putting servos in the wings for the ailerons and a rudder servo in the vetical stabilizer in order to get proper throw. The elevator is the only surface I left alone as there appears to be enough throw to fly it okay.

Robbie
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
40 seems a bit Forward for me too.
But I havent had a chance to experiment with moving it back.

It's probably SAFE for 1st flights.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
I just couldn't go with the ugly stock pilot. For your entertainment, I've enclosed a couple of photos of the fox that belongs in a Fox. I think I out-did the female pilot I put in my smaller ST Models Fox.. LOL

The forecast for tomorrow is mid 40'sF, sunny, and calm winds. She goes up tomorrow!

I noticed in Birdofplay's video that this plane doesn't require too much of a toss to get going. That's good as I had to run a few steps with my similar sized ASW-28...

Robbie
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:00 AM
Suspended Account
Panania, Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
76 Posts
ok then Robbie, where do i get myself one of those little flyin wenches? you guys got any good online shops?
there's a very nice buxom wench pilot available at my local shop, but they want about $871263487621387962345 for her... as usual... hobby shop prices...
PeteMacRemote is offline Find More Posts by PeteMacRemote
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:03 AM
Suspended Account
Panania, Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
76 Posts
oh and by the way... as much as i like a Cohiba (cigar) every now and then... tell her to give up the cigarettes... when she gets older she'll have a cats bum for lips...
PeteMacRemote is offline Find More Posts by PeteMacRemote
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMacRemote View Post
ok then Robbie, where do i get myself one of those little flyin wenches? you guys got any good online shops?
there's a very nice buxom wench pilot available at my local shop, but they want about $871263487621387962345 for her... as usual... hobby shop prices...

She's made by Slimline from their 'Extreme' line of pilots. Her name is Pamela according to the packaging. LOL I had to cut some of her off at the bottom in order to get her into the plane.

She can be found here:

http://www.gravesrc.com/SLIMLINE_PAM..._p/sli7004.htm

She cost me $24.99 but that's a bargain compared to what a date with someone of her likeness would likely run up.

The cigarette was my addition as that's become a sort of trademark of mine at the local flying field. I didn't want to dissapoint! Besides, the planes usually kill them before the cigarettes can.

The weather is looking good this morning for a maiden. Just need to wait for it to warm up a tad first.

Robbie
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
I did the maiden flight this morning. She flew great! Plenty of aileron throw with the servos done in the traditional way near the aileron surfaces, rudder throw with the servo near the rudder, and elevator left stock and powered with an E-Flite power 15 motor and 3s1p 2200mah Turnigy battery. It was windy with 15mph winds as well. With the CG at the recommended 40mm from the leading edge near the root no trimming was necessary at all as she handled well both during powered flight and while gliding. This glider was also much easier to fly than my ASW 28 and the stall speed is a bit lower so coming in for a landing was a piece of cake. I managed to land her perfectly on 2 wheels and everyone clapped at the local flying field. Nobody else was flying due to the breeze and the cold. I think they thought I was crazy for attempting a maiden flight today.. LOL I only stayed up about 15 minutes as my hands were beginning to freeze in the 38F temperature even though the sun was out bright. This bird will thermal quite well and there's no reason 1/2 hour flights can't be the norm in less hostile conditions.

I could notice a lot of wing flexing while heading into the strong breeze at around 500FT but the wings didn't start to work their way off of the joining rod meaning that the 2 screws per wing secured the wings nicely. That said, this bird flies so well that I think I'm going to invest in a solid carbon fiber rod for it to take most if not all of the noticeable flex out. The OD of the rod is .395" by my digital calipers.

My busty pilot was probably a lot colder than I was with that skimpy sting bikini top..

Robbie
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:15 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Bird: I followed your link a couple of times for a good look. Very impressive, looks like a lot of work on your part to organize the event. Fantastic flying site, your spoiled, I only wish >wow >nice! You live down in the USA I am up in Canada but you are actually north of me But you still get warmer weather than I do. <me

Robbie: Love the look of your pilot. I can see in the background that you are hardcore :-) I have them hanging on a couple walls but no ceilings yet . I hope you remember you video camera for the maiden. Looks like we did the same mods. Most importantly, GOOD LUCK with the maiden. (40*F is a little cool for my old bones but similar to what I am getting today. Where you is ? )

Progress has been slow as sometimes life gets in the way. The tail group is finished. Tons of deflection makes it easy to get the removable horz. stab. on and off so it will load back in the box for transport. :-)
NOTE: I noticed the bottom of the rudder hinge is starting to fail, the foam is breaking. I don't think I stressed it too much so it might be something to keep an eye on.