biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:03 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Don't worry it's just a weekend leave, for good behavior.

I took the Fox out the flying field today, one of the guys was going to toss it for me when I noticed an aileron was sagging a bit.
The hinge line is starting to separate.
I've hinged the rudder and elevator due to separation.

Luckily I had two other planes to fly today......
All in all it was a great day of flying, with a bunch of cool guys!!!

Glen
I had the same thing, went to our club fun fly, got out the fox to show off and one aileron had a mind of it's own. The thing was jumping all over the place,full travel, put it back ine the box Luckily I had 5 other planes and 2 helis with me (all day event).

Now the fun part, I built a glider, about 40?% more wing area and 200g lighter than the Fox with a bigger motor. With the throttle off the motor was cycling on full throt. for 5 sec. then off for about 15 sec. Try to get that back on the ground. I was concidering sticking it in the long grass when one of the few people left suggested I fly it down the field a few times and let them try to grab it.
This is the result, thank god for good buddies: FIRST PASS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbW9474ovI
Damage "0"
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Jun 06, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:19 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Now the fun part, I built a glider, about 40?% more wing area and 200g lighter than the Fox with a bigger motor. With the throttle off the motor was cycling on full throt. for 5 sec. then off for about 15 sec. Try to get that back on the ground. I was concidering sticking it in the long grass when one of the few people left suggested I fly it down the field a few times and let them try to grab it.
This is the result, thank god for good buddies: FIRST PASS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWbW9474ovI
Damage "0"
That was an amazing catch!!!
Looked like the catcher was doing a performance of swan lake with your glider.

Must have been a hair experience for you Kerry!!

Glen
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:38 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
That was an amazing catch!!!
Looked like the catcher was doing a performance of swan lake with your glider.

Must have been a hair experience for you Kerry!!

Glen
Power came on again just as he grabbed it

Two weeks ago I had to go home for my chain saw to get that wing back. Had to drop a 2' dia. tree.
Last edited by Helitime; Jun 06, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:51 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
???????????Anyone know what could cause a throttle to cycle on and off with the stick at 0?? OR Where's the best place to ask this Question.

Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:45 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
ESC manual

I sent FMS an email the other day requesting the manual for the Fox Glider.

They sent me a too large to post PDF, and this doc concerning programming the ESC.
Ant is offline Find More Posts by Ant
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:49 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Good work Ant, much better than my pic's.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:07 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
HK Fox Sailplane Manual

Here is the manual if anyone is interested.

Ant
Ant is offline Find More Posts by Ant
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:42 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I sent FMS an email the other day requesting the manual for the Fox Glider.

They sent me a too large to post PDF, and this doc concerning programming the ESC.
Great !
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Awfully quiet around here, today is my flying day and the wind is already over 20 KPH and expected to increase. SHI- uh, I mean shoot.

I had to replace a failed aileron servo (HXT900). While testing the others with a little "hand" resistance I found them to be weak on the stiff ailerons. I think I will replace the aileron and elevator servos with something stronger perhaps metal gear also. I also noted that it was slow to pull out of a fast dive, possibly the same problem.

Just my thoughts on what I have experienced. I think many have used HXT900's so a word of caution, they seem fine for flying around but if you want to push it hard, they may not hold up.

Kerry
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:42 PM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Kerry you are scaring me with the servo news!
Ya it was windy today, i stuck with the stryker and modded supper cub, no fox.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
I flew tonight, the Fox and my Easystar. It was blowing like crazy. The air brakes made it no problem to bring in the Fox but the Easystar just kept floating by. Took about 6>8 passes to get her down without a long walk. So I did it a few times.

Probably OK with the servos Glen, I haven't heard any other complaints. Just avoid pulling out at the last second (from a power dive ).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Awfully quiet around here, today is my flying day and the wind is already over 20 KPH and expected to increase. SHI- uh, I mean shoot.

I had to replace a failed aileron servo (HXT900). While testing the others with a little "hand" resistance I found them to be weak on the stiff ailerons. I think I will replace the aileron and elevator servos with something stronger perhaps metal gear also. I also noted that it was slow to pull out of a fast dive, possibly the same problem.

Just my thoughts on what I have experienced. I think many have used HXT900's so a word of caution, they seem fine for flying around but if you want to push it hard, they may not hold up.

Kerry
Hey Kerry, I am running TP MG90's in mine. I too have noticed mine is slow to respond out of a dive. I think a lot of it is due to flex in the tail feathers.

I did cut my "counterbalancers" off off the elevator flush with the stab. My thinking was to reduce drag, and It seems to have worked with little to no effect on elevator authority.

Ive got some new 30c batts coming. My 20c 2200s are not keeping up with the 1300kv turnigy motor very well.
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk1967 View Post
Hey Kerry, I am running TP MG90's in mine. I too have noticed mine is slow to respond out of a dive. I think a lot of it is due to flex in the tail feathers.

I did cut my "counterbalancers" off off the elevator flush with the stab. My thinking was to reduce drag, and It seems to have worked with little to no effect on elevator authority.

Ive got some new 30c batts coming. My 20c 2200s are not keeping up with the 1300kv turnigy motor very well.
I am in the process of ordering some stuff now and trying to decide what servo's to use, I will have a look at the MG90's. Followed the conversation on counterbalancers but never got around to looking at them, will make a point of it, thanks. I use 40C 2200's as the Heli's stress them pretty good, more punch for a buck or two extra, also ordering 3 more. Thats more punch on eveything you put them in.
Can you elaborat on "flex in the tail feathers"? I lost an HK Easyfly glider that refused to pull out of a fast dive. Are you suggesting a stronger servo or stiffening the surfaces or tail some how.

PS: Has anyone rehinged the ailerons with proper hinges? Did it help much???
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
I am in the process of ordering some stuff now and trying to decide what servo's to use, I will have a look at the MG90's. Followed the conversation on counterbalancers but never got around to looking at them, will make a point of it, thanks. I use 40C 2200's as the Heli's stress them pretty good, more punch for a buck or two extra, also ordering 3 more. Thats more punch on eveything you put them in.
Can you elaborat on "flex in the tail feathers"? I lost an HK Easyfly glider that refused to pull out of a fast dive. Are you suggesting a stronger servo or stiffening the surfaces or tail some how.

PS: Has anyone rehinged the ailerons with proper hinges? Did it help much???
I think the carbon strip trick we used on the aileron TE will work wonders on the elevator TE too. Grab each end of the elevator and you can see how much it flexes with little effort. Its probably just flattening out in the airflow at speed. The elevator may need to be trimmed staight across the back to fit a CF strip. What are your thoughts?
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967