It freqkin SNOWED here today !

No flying any time soon
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:20 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Hey Bob, I'd appreciate it if you didn't use that language. Not the frekin, the "s" word that follows. Thanks :-)

OK I got it sorted out, I was thinking there were threads below the saddle (duh). Alright, so I need to put some there or there's no adjustment. Turned out to be simple, just thread a nut down the bolt first. Finish the top of the bolt by grinding smooth, rounding the tip and drilling through near the top. Now shove the bolt (with the nut threaded right down to the head) up through the fuse into the stab. area. Put the stab. in place, washer and pin it. Then use the clevis pin to thread the retaining pin down till tight. Try removing and replacing the pin, if it's all good put some epoxy in the hole in the bottom of the fuse. to lock the nut and bolt (retaining pin) in place.
Mine is done except for attaching the horn and confirming the "Z" bend can be used easily. Otherwise I will add a "clevis? (I put one in a pic. earlier, post #70") to the control wire (solder on).

There are probably lots of ways to mod/improve the above but it works at least. (This time I did it to make sure ) Oops still have to put the epoxy up it's hole
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:30 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,482 Posts
By the time we get thru with all these mods there wont be much Fox left !

Looking good :-)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:45 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Dam I forgot to mention, it's worse the you thought. The stock bolt is too short and thin. I had to use a thicker, longer bolt and drill out the back hole in the stab. Remove the plastic to do this, it comes off easy and C/A back on when drilled. I still spun the NUT in mine and had to glue it back in also.
The extra relief in the rudder is in case the clevis pin flips up.

Still a one night job, while we are grounded by weather. :-)
Last edited by Helitime; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Continuing tail mod: Glued all the tail plastic bits with foam safe C/A, adjusted the pin height and glued it in tight. The stab. now slips into place and locks down good and tight. No way to connect the "z" bend though (inside the tail). Chopping the tail (2"") at the back of the plastic wing saddle would make it possible with needle nose pliars and some twisting (I don't like it) Not enough (pull) space in the back to allow a clevis on the end of the wire. The best I can think of so far is to move control to just outside the tail as on most R/C planes. Looking for ideas !!!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,482 Posts
What I've been doing on the stock bird is loosen the wire holder on the servo arm.

hook it up then stuff the stab in place.
then re tighten the wire holder screw.

You've eliminated the two screws holding the the stab.

We're only half way there !

some kind of captivating snap action thingy.

It's blowing hard and snowing occasionally EW Yuk !

yeah yeah ... I know the "S" word agian!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:20 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Good stuff Bob, I have been on the same train of thought. I have included a couple pics of some fittings. The plastic one allows an "L" bend and are easy to get on IF YOU CAN GET AT THEM. The other is a "clevis"? I think? (Hmm, I also call the third one a "clevis pin" maybe someone can correct me :-) )With a little foam removal you could use the plastic one as long as you have GOOD young eyes and nimble fingers. Soooooooooooo, I have to find another way. Actually Bob your undoing the front and this type of clip might be one answer, a little easier at least.
As you mentioned, we are not in a hurry ( I maybe a little impatient)
Hears another thought, what about quick disc. the "horn" from the elevator? I'm off to think about this some more. Keep throwing that stuff.

P.S. I C/Aed the washer to the stab. so I don't have to mess with it. Also, the 'bolt" I used was actually a short threaded rod used to attach light fixtures to brackets, usually with a little ornamental brass ball (might make it easier for people to locate a good size) screw on a nut and yur good to go. Oh ya, the washer "hole" should be very close to the modified bolt top so the clevis pin goes in easy.
See ya, it's late
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:48 AM
Dos Hermanas (Sevilla)
Joined Dec 2007
293 Posts
Here you have the opened fuse from the fox glider, i hope it helps.
Take care when opening with the exacto knife, use new long blades and don't do it in a hurry.....take your time, before doing this, you may have to cut the servo holder.

Regards.
Patrick
Patrick R is online now Find More Posts by Patrick R
Last edited by Patrick R; Nov 23, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:10 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Patrick: THANKYOU I am quite sure your pic,s will be VERY helpfull to anyone working on this plane. I will be refering to them for sure, now I will be able to get my rudder servo wire from the vert. stab. back into the cabin.
Good work and thanks again Patrick !!!! Sooner than promised too I think. :-)

Kerry
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
Dos Hermanas (Sevilla)
Joined Dec 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Patrick: THANKYOU I am quite sure your pic,s will be VERY helpfull to anyone working on this plane. I will be refering to them for sure, now I will be able to get my rudder servo wire from the vert. stab. back into the cabin.

Kerry
Kerry, i'm glad to help, i've written some important points before doing this, please read again.`

Patrick
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post

Kerry
What Kerry said Patrick! It's very helpful to see the *guts* so to speak.

I'm doing mine stock for the elevator and I couldn't even see the horn for this control surface in the tiny picture they provided in the manual. I wound up taking a peak at how they did it with my ST Models Fox as it's virtually identical in design. LOL

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
Dos Hermanas (Sevilla)
Joined Dec 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiehatfield View Post
What Kerry said Patrick! It's very helpful to see the *guts* so to speak.

I'm doing mine stock for the elevator and I couldn't even see the horn for this control surface in the tiny picture they provided in the manual. I wound up taking a peak at how they did it with my ST Models Fox as it's virtually identical in design. LOL

Robbie
Robbie, nice to hear that's helpful, it's quiet easy to do, the only thing that i had to cut through, was the servo mount (that does'nt bother me at all, i'm going to mount the servos at the back)
The motor mount was only glued on one side, otherwise i would have to cut it like the servo mount.

Patrick
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:58 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,482 Posts
Thank you Patrick - Say ... you're not a barber are you ? :-)

This plane would be an even BIGGER bargain if they would just sell us the FOAM !

With all the work guys are doing on it AFTER purchase, it just seems silly
to even bother assembling it. ya know ?

HELITIME:
You may have something there !!! in the Eazy on/off HORN idea !!!

I like that too as it's easier access right out in the open.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post
Robbie, nice to hear that's helpful, it's quiet easy to do, the only thing that i had to cut through, was the servo mount (that does'nt bother me at all, i'm going to mount the servos at the back)
The motor mount was only glued on one side, otherwise i would have to cut it like the servo mount.

Patrick
Yes, I partially split the fuselage just enough that I could get in there and extract the stock firewall myself. Mine was only glued on one side as well, but poor Kerry's was REALLY glued in there from the pictures he posted. Must have been a different shift that built his? LOL

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
Dos Hermanas (Sevilla)
Joined Dec 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Thank you Patrick - Say ... you're not a barber are you ? :-)

This plane would be an even BIGGER bargain if they would just sell us the FOAM !

With all the work guys are doing on it AFTER purchase, it just seems silly
to even bother assembling it. ya know ?

HELITIME:
You may have something there !!! in the Eazy on/off HORN idea !!!

I like that too as it's easier access right out in the open.
No, no......i'm not a barber
I don't understand, why these guys (FMS model) don't sell the fox as a kit........like multiplex, i think it would be easier for them, also cheaper
As you say, everything would be easier and we would'nt waste so much time re doing the whole thing.

Patrick