SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Wow 4 posts while I typed my last one.:-)

Ant: I don't think the tail mounted servo will cause any trouble, the surface does not see a lot of "loading"

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 07:45 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Cool! It's big isn't it?

The Hk 9 gram good for 1.6 kg-cm HXT900 is what I used in the tail for the rudder.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=662

Glen
I have some SG90's I'm pretty sure they are the same size as the HK 9gram. They are 22mm x 11.5mm x 27mm.

How far does your servo stick up past the foam?

Thanks
Ant
Ant is offline Find More Posts by Ant
Old May 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
How far does your servo stick up past the foam?

Thanks
Ant[/QUOTE]

"Flush" less drag. Pic on page 5. Glen has pic's back a few pages also. (page 49)
Old May 25, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
OK, going to have to figure out how to fish some wires through. Might split the fuse not sure yet. Vertigo79 mentioned placing the elevator servo in the back as well, where would that go? Any ideas?

Thanks again guys!
Ant
Old May 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
OK, going to have to figure out how to fish some wires through. Might split the fuse not sure yet. Vertigo79 mentioned placing the elevator servo in the back as well, where would that go? Any ideas?

Thanks again guys!
Ant
I didn't split mine I used an exacto knife on a long rod and cut the bulk heads open a little bit more. Then took a piano wire with a hook and pushed it to the back of the fuse and then grabed it with another hooked piano wire through a hole I made in the bottom of the fuse inline with the new servo pocket. If you look back into the fuse where the two servos are mounted you can see the passage to the back.

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old May 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Flaperons slow you down, they increase lift and drag and allow an increased down angle on the glide. The increased lift allows slower flight/landings but can increase "float" and stretch the landing making it harder to "spot" land.

Spoilerons slow you down, they increase drag and kill lift forcing an increased down angle on the glide. Now landings are more like point and shoot if you leave them down through the landing. I use 2 stage (flap switch) spoilerons on my DG1000 but usually raise(cancel) them just before touchdown to slow the decent at the very end.

Flaperons will work on many planes, spoilerons will work on almost all.(standard configuration).
Dam, now you got me thinking, the brakes are in already, "spoilerons" are just a bit of transmitter programing now. I bet she will come down quick with both, hell ya then I can give some comparative info re brakes vs. spoilerons.

Hope all this helps, sorry if I'm getting long winded.
Kerry
Thanks Bud!

That was great!!! I always learn a lot when you get long winded

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again guys!
Ant
The stock elevator set up works well for me, I haven't heard any complaints. Vertigo79 mentioned "binding", perhaps less chance for trouble without the long linkage. IMHO, not required but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything including the C/G. :-)
Old May 25, 2011, 08:43 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
The stock elevator set up works well for me, I haven't heard any complaints. Vertigo79 mentioned "binding", perhaps less chance for trouble without the long linkage. IMHO, not required but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything including the C/G. :-)
Ya my elevator servo appears to work just fine stock.
I did have to re-hing the elevator and the rudder due to them starting to separate along the seamed hing line.

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,179 Posts
Is anyone using an external bEC on their Fox?
Is it a good idea/worth it, to due so just for added security?

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
I have been taking my time building, and checking her out.

It sure is a BIG pretty plane. Can't wait to fly her.

Anyway I was looking at the motor, and thinking about adding some down-thrust.

I have the same plastic firewall, but it looks like they added a sheet of G10 in between the motor mount and the plastic firewall.
Anyone else see this on theirs?

Ant
Old May 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,179 Posts
Quote:
I have been taking my time building, and checking her out.

It sure is a BIG pretty plane. Can't wait to fly her.

Anyway I was looking at the motor, and thinking about adding some down-thrust.

I have the same plastic firewall, but it looks like they added a sheet of G10 in between the motor mount and the plastic firewall.
Anyone else see this on theirs?

Ant
G10 you mean the fiber board? Ya mine has it.
Did you notice the motor points to the left instead of the right???
Odd huh!!!
Yup I need to add down thrust to my baby.

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
G10 you mean the fiber board? Ya mine has it.
Did you notice the motor points to the left instead of the right???
Odd huh!!!

Glen
Yeah it is odd, not sure if I want to monkey with changing it to the right. I have not heard any bad reports on here about pointing to the left, just about the tendency to pull up quite a bit under power.

And yeah to the fiberboard/G10
Old May 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone using an external bEC on their Fox?
Is it a good idea/worth it, to due so just for added security?

Glen
I do, cheap insurance for this great plane.

After I maidened my new HK Extra 260(sweet) I put the fox up as the sun was sinking to relax. Ended up catching a few thermals and flew for 20 minutes with 3 climb outs. Had CG at 50mm, flew fine. Touched down right as the sun slipped behind the ridge.

New MG90s arriving this week for the ailerons.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I'm just thinking about "recreating" the nose of the plane, it already has quite some ditches etc so the look of the plane might increase by doing so..

Anyways, I have quite some vibrations in my motor after getting some of the motor shaft off - Any tips how I could fix that? I'm using one of those "Folding Prop Spinner 45mm / 4.0mm shaft". I have already tried getting the front of the motor more horizontal, but I have the feeling that it is already horizontal..
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Old May 26, 2011, 10:11 AM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
Anyways, I have quite some vibrations in my motor after getting some of the motor shaft off - Any tips how I could fix that? I'm using one of those "Folding Prop Spinner 45mm / 4.0mm shaft". I have already tried getting the front of the motor more horizontal, but I have the feeling that it is already horizontal..
What do you mean by "after getting some of the motor shaft off"

Probably need a replacement shaft. You can check to see if it is bent by rolling the shaft along a flat table. If it is bent it will wobble.