SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2011, 10:32 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
I continue building the FPV cockpit for my Fox EPO Glider. I added another layer of foam to reenforce the structure of the 'sled', added a balsa camera mount and used a 5/16" dowel to clip the cockpit into the plane.

Fox EPO FPV setup #2: mounting clips, camera mount and second layer of foam (2 min 21 sec)

After putting the camera on the plane I realized that it's a liiiittle to close to the prop for comfort so I need to move it back a bit. Overally the layout is very good and feels solid.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Hey Kev:
A weak batt. pack (low C rating and or old pack) can give the same result. Also, increasing prop size or pitch can make it worse.

Just some thoughts, testing with a larger pack first might be easier than pulling the motor apart. :-)

Kerry
Thanks Kerry, but tried again with a full pack but just the same. Also prop is standard.
Just a crook motor I think, so I'll send it back to HK

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old May 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
I continue building the FPV cockpit for my Fox EPO Glider. I added another layer of foam to reenforce the structure of the 'sled', added a balsa camera mount and used a 5/16" dowel to clip the cockpit into the plane.
Looks good, and I agree about that back mount.
It appears to be pretty secure.

Ant
Ant is offline Find More Posts by Ant
Old May 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
No back mount on mine from day one. Much better without, easier to place and remove but still very secure.
Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old May 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Hi Guys, Just maidened mine last nite. I upgraded the motor to the turnigy 1300kv with 10x6 prop, 40A plush esc, 2200 turnigy 25c bat, TP 9gram MG servos.

This is my first aircraft outside of the 3D/aerobatic realm, and I am still smiling today. It was just pure joy to fly this bird. This is a WHOLE lot of fun for the minimal $$$ spent!!!!

Just one question though.....I set the CG at 45mm, but still it seems a bit nose heavy as I had to trim in a bit of up elevator to get a fairly flat glide. The up trim made her climb under power as well. Thinking of moving back to 50mm,55mm......what is your experience with CG?
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967
Old May 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk1967 View Post
Hi Guys, Just maidened mine last nite.

Just one question though.....I set the CG at 45mm, but still it seems a bit nose heavy as I had to trim in a bit of up elevator to get a fairly flat glide.
Hi rhawk!

Congrats on the maiden!!

I did a search of this thread and it appears the consensus is anywhere between
40-45mm from the leading edge measured at the root (closest to the fuse).

Min is currently set at 41mm

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old May 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Hi rhawk!

Congrats on the maiden!!

I did a search of this thread and it appears the consensus is anywhere between
40-45mm from the leading edge measured at the root (closest to the fuse).

Min is currently set at 41mm

Glen
Thanks Glen. When I swapped in the higher KV motor, I also changed the firewall to set the motor back farther and to correct the factory thrust line issues. I now have right and down thrust.

My next move is to try 50mm Cg. I think that should make the airframe neutral with and without power, and allow me to get rid of the elevator up trim.
rhawk1967 is offline Find More Posts by rhawk1967
Old May 25, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,424 Posts
Congrats hawk,

The fox is a blast with a couple cheap upgrades. It always gets thrown in the back of the truck when I go fly. It can handle the wind and is turning out to be a good camera platform.

My cg is at 44mm and I to have to add up trim. I have added 30 grams to the tail and moved the battery back into the wing saddle about 2 inches. I think 50mm might be the ticket. I'll shoot for that on the next flight.

Such a fun plane, added about 35 degrees on the spoilerons and the last landing rolled to a stop 20ft away from me.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post

added about 35 degrees on the spoilerons and the last landing rolled to a stop 20ft away from me.
So you are using your ailerons as spoilers huh?
Are you sending them up when you land or down like flaps?
Are you mixing in any elevator?

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,424 Posts
I was using flaperons (ailerons down) but was having some tipstall issues. Helitime recommended I try out spoilerons (ailerons up) and they work well.

I have used flaperons on warbirds, an Extra260, and a Katana with success. The fox didn't like them one bit.

I will mix in some elevator once I get the CG dialed in. I was going to add air brakes but the spoilerons are working great so far.

Give em a try biggy, fun and effective.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
I was using flaperons (ailerons down) but was having some tipstall issues. Helitime recommended I try out spoilerons (ailerons up) and they work well.

I have used flaperons on warbirds, an Extra260, and a Katana with success. The fox didn't like them one bit.

I will mix in some elevator once I get the CG dialed in. I was going to add air brakes but the spoilerons are working great so far.

For sure!!!!
I have mine setup with flaperons, but was not happy with the stalling either Using them as spoilers maybe the ticket thou!!

If I do put in some elevator mix, I guess I'll need to add some down elevator
right???

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
I run them on my hawk sky, and they really make that thing drop like a rock.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ant
Old Noob.
Joined Nov 2003
123 Posts
My Fox arrived today, been picking through it for a while now, and I have to say it sure is pretty. I see what you guys are talking about with the rudder, it is unworkable in it's current incarnation, it will have to be re-done.

I am afraid of weakening the tail structure if I place a servo in the rudder like some have done here. What size servo are you guys using in the tail?
Old May 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
My Fox arrived today, been picking through it for a while now, and I have to say it sure is pretty. I see what you guys are talking about with the rudder, it is unworkable in it's current incarnation, it will have to be re-done.

I am afraid of weakening the tail structure if I place a servo in the rudder like some have done here. What size servo are you guys using in the tail?
Cool! It's big isn't it?

The Hk 9 gram good for 1.6 kg-cm HXT900 is what I used in the tail for the rudder.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...?idProduct=662

Glen
Old May 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Flaperons slow you down, they increase lift and drag and allow an increased down angle on the glide. The increased lift allows slower flight/landings but can increase "float" and stretch the landing making it harder to "spot" land.

Spoilerons slow you down, they increase drag and kill lift forcing an increased down angle on the glide. Now landings are more like point and shoot if you leave them down through the landing. I use 2 stage (flap switch) spoilerons on my DG1000 but usually raise(cancel) them just before touchdown to slow the decent at the very end.

Flaperons will work on many planes, spoilerons will work on almost all.(standard configuration).
Dam, now you got me thinking, the brakes are in already, "spoilerons" are just a bit of transmitter programing now. I bet she will come down quick with both, hell ya then I can give some comparative info re brakes vs. spoilerons.

Hope all this helps, sorry if I'm getting long winded.
Kerry

P.S.: C/G back to 50mm sounds interesting "rhawk", let us know how that works. What you say makes sense to me. Don't get too tail heavy>>>small steps.
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime