HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
787 Posts
Just found out a friend took 2 video's, the maiden plus this one. Not the best quality, late in the day, low sun, friend not familiar with my camera. But it was fun, some inverted etc nothing too challenging.
First 45sec. trying to find the plane in the camera.
fox2 (4 min 0 sec)
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; May 10, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 08:53 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
LOVE IT !

Nothing sounds more impressive than a big glider whistling overhead a high speed.

Too much fun :-)

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Ya love the sound of the wings in the video.

Question:
When setting the CG should I be setting it with the prop blades folded back close to the fuse, or just let them flop around. I find with the blades loose and flopping around the CG never settles in.
This is my first craft with a folding prop.
I'm thinking strapping them back with an elastic band while checking the Cg would be better!?

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old May 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
It's NOT that critical !

But if ya have to put em back.

Some of the EU guys have SPRINGS in their Folding prop adapters.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
I was finding with the blades moving forward and back during CG checks the blade position did make enought of a difference to effect level CG. The plane would tipe forward or backwards.

Sorry I know I'm being overly paranoid about this plane......
Crashed it too many times already trying to maiden.
After I have the new spectrum receiver and mode 2 radio setup on the Fox,
I'll have no more excuses for crashing trying to get this thing in the air.

Only had oner other plane in the last 8 years that gave me problems like this one is.
The rest of my planes fly fine.

Glen
Old May 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
The LACK of Throws is probably what GOT you on the maiden.

Mine flew STOCK the 1st time but it wasnt quite right.
So I've since done all the Aileron & rudder mods to get more throw.
It seems OK now.
My Next mod is a larger motor.

I understand paranoia.

I said Back on the props since that will result in a slightly more forward CG
when the props are OUT. Which wont hurt.

SEEK HELP - AKA some local modelers :-)
Old May 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
787 Posts
"Only had oner other plane in the last 8 years that gave me problems like this one is.
The rest of my planes fly fine."

Do the rest fly fine mode 1 ??? :-)
Blades folded or not ?? Yup, paranoid me thinks.

You will not have a problem Glen, your an experienced flyer and this plane is a pussy.
Get the c/g within 1/2" and it will fly>>>adjust to taste.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:30 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Thanks guys for the support! I really appreciate it!!!

Glen
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
Orange County, Ca.
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
HELP GUY"S...
I can't make up my mind between this one or the ST Models FOX that Tower Hobby sales? My only concern is transporting it because of its size, I assume the wing breaks down without any problem?

Let me know what you think, I do respect your advise.
HBPD is offline Find More Posts by HBPD
Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
787 Posts
HBPD: You are correct sir, the wing breaks down easy, 2 little screws per wing to lock them in. I keep mine in it's box 52.5"x13"x8", transports nice but requires removing the horz. stab. (I did a quick disconnect) You could transport in a compact car as long as your not taking the wife AND the kids with you :-)

OK, I just went and measured. The fuse. is longest at 51".

Hope this helps and fire away if you need more info.

Kerry
Old May 11, 2011, 02:51 PM
Mex
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2007
116 Posts
It been a long time that i have the Fox glider and today i did the maiden flight and it flies great! I used the CG from the manuel and it's good. After 3 clicks down and 4 clicks left trim it flies like an arrow.

At the first video i did some fly by's and a landing, the 2nd video only a landing. I hope you like it (p.s. you can double click on the youtube video to see it in HD)

HobbyKing Fox EPO Glider Fly By and landing (2 min 0 sec)

HobbyKing Fox Landing (1 min 8 sec)
Mex is offline Find More Posts by Mex
Old May 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
787 Posts
Nice flying Mex.
Looks like you have a nice area for it also. :-)

Kerry
Old May 11, 2011, 10:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Holsworthy
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts
Been flying my 2nd version of this glider for a few weeks. Did some reinforcing on wings (after the last version blowing apart at high speeds), and modded the elevator and rudder servo's, and apart from a minor mishap with a dodgy battery, all is going well, and handling way better than stock.

Just about to fit it up with some new gear to up the challenge. On its way for this bird is a full EagleTree OSD setup (OSD, eLogger, GPS, airspeed sensor), a new 2.4Ghz 1000mw vid tx/rx, long range UHF radio setup, co-pilot, heading lock gyro, new prop & spinner (12x6), and some 2800mah 3s. Will be swapping the motor out to something with a bit more grunt to handle the extra weight, but have enough motors laying around that something should be suitable.

Plan is to have a plane that can handle a breeze, and fly a LONG way out. With the above combined, I am pretty confident this bird will be able to fly cross country and pretty much hit waypoints without much input from me, allowing me to take in the view instead of worrying about flying.

Only concern I have is getting all this gear in the Fox and still being able to balance it up right. Was thinking of opening up the tail section and placing a bit of gear in there to even it out a bit.

Any other area's anyone thinks will be a struggle?
vertigo79 is offline Find More Posts by vertigo79
Old May 12, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
After having done so much with the Fox, I'd say it's no problem at all. I actually think that it might not even be a bad idea to have a second hatch in the tail section of the plane to install other gear in there. Maybe you can just cut out a good large piece of foam from the tail and put some magnets on the piece of foam plus the tail? Then you have a second hatch and can (de-)install gear or weight anytime you like.

I now finished with the air brakes, however, how can I get one of the servo's to turn the opposite way? Which of the 3 servo cables do I have to swap in order to turn the turning direction of one of them? I installed the servos in both of the wings exactly in the same way, now I have the problem that if I have the air brakes on the "out" setting, only one of the two comes out, if it's on the "in" setting, the other one comes out whilst the other one slides in^^

I wish I had such a nice landing area too.. Just grass with tons of bumps in the terrain here though.. Quite high grass.
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Last edited by jeanorwin; May 12, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
After having done so much with the Fox, I'd say it's no problem at all. I actually think that it might not even be a bad idea to have a second hatch in the tail section of the plane to install other gear in there. Maybe you can just cut out a good large piece of foam from the tail and put some magnets on the piece of foam plus the tail? Then you have a second hatch and can (de-)install gear or weight anytime you like.

I now finished with the spoilers, however, how can I get one of the servo's to turn the opposite way? Which of the 3 servo cables do I have to swap in order to turn the turning direction of one of them? I installed the servos in both of the wings exactly in the same way, now I have the problem that if I have the spoilers on the "out" setting, only one of the two comes out, if it's on the "in" setting, the other one comes out whilst the other one slides in^^

I wish I had such a nice landing area too.. Just grass with tons of bumps in the terrain here though.. Quite high grass.
Did you install air brakes or are you setting up spoilerons ?