HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright. Good "luck" then I have just pushed 82gr of weight around at the back of the plane and the CoG now seems to be just perfect. I'll see how it is flying with the wings on(Well, I bet it wouldn't be flying without the wings..). I actually think that there is the light possibility of some very weak thermals today, I saw birds circling the day before yesterday so I'll see may I can catch any at all.
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Ok, here is the CG mod. No weights needed. The Fox is a bit f****d up by design in this aspect.

Forgive me about the messed wires, it is not finished yet. I am waiting for some servo extension leads. The supplied aileron y-wire is WAAAYYY too short to reach anything. I am not using it anyway but plan to do some flaperon/spoileron mixing.

B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Without words..
(doubt I can fix it)

Onboard HD video coming soon.. :<

Another RC PLANE CRASH - ONBOARD HD Camera footage! (4 min 7 sec)
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 26, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:07 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
Without words..
(doubt I can fix it)

:<
OH man that is not good, Sorry to see this happen
You are going to have to use words! I want to know what happened, as sad as I feel about seeing the picture. At this point telling us what happend, at leased could save the rest of use from the same outcome.

Man that sucks

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Well, I just hope HK stocks replacment parts soon.

Anyways, here's the story: I made 2 loops, going into a maybe 45 dive for 30-50m of height. The elevator suddenly didn't react anymore.. Later I could it another 10 up or so, though still it certainly kissed the ground. I think the 9gr servo isn't enough for such manoevurs..

Does anyone know may any other shop has replacment parts? Or may the plane is called different somewhere else? Or may Hobbyking sells replacment parts via the support?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:29 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
If they don't sell replacement parts, the only thing I can think of at this time, would be to somehow find a block of epp or epo foam and cut out and shape a new front end.
Cut off the old damaged front end and glue a new front end on!?!?
Then maybe reinforce the new front end with some carbon fiber rods or stripes??

Glen
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I just thought the same. I think I'd need some Epoxy then though, I only used Uhu por so far and I'd get to know how to use it.. Oh well. Alternatively I actually currently think about building a completely self-built glider(without any plans or so), but I'm quite sure it wouldn't be flying in the end
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:03 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Maybe carve out a balsa block for the front end.
New tech material meets old school material.

I have also laminated sheets of foam (blue SM) together to make a block and then shaped the block to the required shape.
Or even Depron sheets laminated together to make a block, done that too.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:16 AM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,249 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune. The best best glue for this foam is.... HOT GLUE. Yes, its true. Sticks better than Uhe por, and better than CA. NO on the epoxy. It will not stick for very long.

Who knows,, if you got all the pieces,,, it may fly again! Hot glue sticks in a hot glue gun,,, best bet.

Thanks for the tip on the servos. I suspected they were adequate,, but not much more. Good thing they are screwed in, and easy to upgrade.

So far all of my servos seem quite good as far as speed, centering, holding power, low noise. They have not flown yet though. I do not plan on upgrading anything,, except the esc,, which I did only because I had one pre soldered with my choice of connector.

BTW, I have rebuilt epo edf jets from a similar state... not pretty in the end,, but absolutely flyable to continue the experimentation.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Is Uhu the glue that expands, like North America Gorilla glue does?

I some times use shoe Goo or marine Goo, that stuff is tenaciously sticky and remains flexible, not brittle like epoxy.

Glen
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:36 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Jeanorwin, Topforce is right, I have also rebuilt similar damage with hot glue. You need all the bits and it's a puzzle and it's ugly but it works. You would probably have to reinforce the repair. Throw some paint on the repair and you won't see it once it's in the air.
Now you have lots of opinions, let us know if you have a go.

Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I've already started re-building the thing. In order to make it a little bit easier and more stable, I decided to cut off the complete front and re-build it seperately.. I have some pictures of the two parts of the fox(left/right) that might be interesting for some, I'll upload them soon.

Here's the video:
Another RC PLANE CRASH - ONBOARD HD Camera footage! (4 min 7 sec)
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 26, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,249 Posts
Nice video!... Seems like it was pretty far up when it lost elevator? Got mine fully assembled now, but on here looking for CG information. Its got a long heavy nose!
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:15 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,200 Posts
Man!!! Bummer jeanorwin!!! I've noticed on my fox, that after pulling out of a fast dive, elevator is a little slow to respond , think I'll upgrade both the elevator and rudder servos to some high torque metal gear servos. Was flying fox 2days ago again, got her up in a thermal, and no matter what I did she kept going up up up!!!!! Still amazes me how fast and how well this thing climbs in a thermal, so I pointed the nose down and tried to spin her down, she came screaming down with incredible speed!!!! Pulled up and wings bent so far they we're literally in a U shape!!!!! Thought they we're gona snap!!!! But they didn't .
My advice for those of you who haunt flown your fox's yet: loosen up hinges and internal pushrods on elevator and rudder to keep friction and resistance down, and probably upgrading rudder and elevator servos not a bad idea, I used 1/2 oz in tail to get my CG right. I'm also using a 6ch receiver so that I can use ailerons as spoilers on landings. Spoilerons don't help much to get out of a thermal, but quite helpful on landings, as she's capable of gliding an incredible distance close to ground!!!! And she picks up ALOT of speed when you point the nose down. Taking her out again this afternoon. Oh and if you're not concerned with hotliner climb performance, the stock power set up seems fine to me,,,, but you do have to keep her speed up when climbing. Others have mentioned putting a .220 carbon rod inside the main wingrod to stiffen up the wing,,,, might have to try that. I"ll keep you posted
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
It's indeed required to upgrade the servos if you want to do some "heavy" 3D with the plane..

Is there any way to set the ailerons like spoilers with the Hobbyking 6ch for $25?

Does anyone know how I could get more throw on the ailerons? Extend the servo hinge?

You can find the pictures of my repair progress below.

I have 3 problems though: The nose part seems to be 2cm off the main body, the motor mount moves around(I think it won't any further, though might be a problem later on) and how should I rebuild the cockpit? What'd be cool would be some sort of UAV without cockpit, though I'm unsure how and if I can get the foam I have flying around here(3mm) getting "curvy" so it fits the cockpit..

Does anybody know may hardware stores have magnets in their sortiments? Then I'd update the cockpit lock to a magnetic one..
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 26, 2011 at 03:39 PM.