HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Hi Glen
Never heard of "Zebra Hobby" so I checked it out. I guess I have been shopping HK exclusive for too long, it seemed like they didn't have much. Prices look good though so I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for the link!

I had the Fox out just to fondle it a little last night and realized I didn't have my lights hooked up yet. Dug out the soldering iron and finished her up. Now when the canopy snaps closed the lights come on.

I think that motor should be SUFFICIENT, maybe. ;-)
I would have left the stock motor in if you gave me the "dimple" idea before I ripped it out :-) They say it works well.

That dam "Airman" guy is making me jelous as hell. (Keep it commin "74")
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:55 PM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Hi Glen
Never heard of "Zebra Hobby" so I checked it out. I guess I have been shopping HK exclusive for too long, it seemed like they didn't have much. Prices look good though so I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for the link!
Yes he seams to have really streamlined his stock. he used to sell kits
and every thing else related to flying. Still good for batteries motors and speed controllers.

I hope you didn't get too much drool all over your fox while you had it out LOL

I picked up a parkzone F-27c Stryker PNP last night at the L.H.S. just programing the Elevons right now.

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
I picked up a parkzone F-27c Stryker PNP last night at the L.H.S. just programing the Elevons right now.

Glen

Strykers can take gobs of power, and speed. :-)
I have something similar I picked up a few years ago at the hobby show called a "Vortex". It's usually the first I fly, like a warmup plane. It's got a LOT of epoxy in it now but it still pulls about 80 kph. It flies when it's too windy for the rest of my birds.

The Stryker will fly well right out of the box (while you shop for a hot set up) :-)
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:18 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
I just placed an order for 3 2100 3s 35c zippy batteries from HK. ill use them in the fox too. the battery I tested on the stryker was a 15 c
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Just received a new motor for the Fox, in-case I get the itch to over power it.
It's a 36-12xl 770 KV it will handle a 14/7 prop and pull about 25-37 amps on 3S

I purchased it on line from a Great Canadian web site. Http://www.Zebrahobby.ca
Kerry, not sure if you have purchased anything from them or not, they are great to deal with. Not bad prices for a Canadian C.O. and the shipping is super fast. I've been shopping there for like ten years.

Here's the link to the motor and its spec chart.

http://www.zebrahobby.ca/cgi-bin/cp-...otorsbrushless

Glen
That is quite a heavy motor at 190g plust the spinner and big prop. You will also need bigger esc.

As stock my Fox was very nose heavy with 2200 2s battery. I positioned the battery on the back seat under the canopy. Very easy, looks kind of neat (battery is seen behind the pilot) and the cg is now 40mm behind the leading edge. Rx will go in the stock battery tray.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:42 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
I have 60 amp esa for the motor, not likely ill use it on the fox. You are right its a heavy big boy!!
I have a 310 watt motor on a slow boat from china coming.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Jay! HD camcorder is there. I have a problem though: I think the internal rudder mount broke, the rudder doesn't move anymore when the servo is used. Does anyone have a tip how I could fix that? I suppose the one end of the golden thing needs to get into the plastic thing that is now broken? Would be cool if anyone who has the FOX-rudder cut open could post a picture of their working rudder connection

jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
JEANORWIN: See page 12 post #168 for a pic and a possible replacement. Birdofplay may be able to help locate a replacement. I dont think it can be repaired very well.
There are other options ie: place servo in fin, but it's probably more work.

Hope this helps
Kerry
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,703 Posts
hobby lobby used to have them. But today i CANT FIND THEM WITH THEIR SEARCH.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:23 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
concealed hinge and control

The ones hobbylobby used to sell were better, but still not perfect. There was still some although alot less slop. I am routing my rudder pushrod ala multiplex; Its going along the outside, then tucking in toward the servo.

I went ahead and dug my rudder hinge thingy out to see if it could be reworked. Not going to mess with it. Would require a tighter fitting pin in the metal part,, and that would only help a little. The molded parts are also manufactured to a larger tolerance,, and so are sloppy around the metal part.

It was a fantastic idea! Just badly executed.

I had considered just drilling another hole in the metal part, closer to the hinge line. This would give more throw, and reduce slop from the pushrod. However,, in my experience,, a good sailplane needs tight precise control surfaces to reduce the need to constantly trim for predictable hands off flight. So, it gets a conventional rudder setup.

I will post pics when finished.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright! I finished my rudder mod. I'll see how this behaves inflight.

I hope that my nose-heavyness is a little bit less extreme then it was before, as I've used 2 quite massive screws for the servo hinge. What I still don't like is that the rudder wire is a little bounded/turned at the end, but I'll see how that'll work out inflight(I usually don't use the ruder anyways, but it's not bad to have some sort of aileron backup..).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:29 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Can a rudder flutter at speed ??
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:51 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Can a rudder flutter at speed ??
Why not, it is not any different than the wing.

I was wondering what kind of speed the fox is capable without flutter. With the new motor I will have roughly 2x the stock thrust and pitch speed. Pylon racing is not the goal though. Just spectacular climbs with quite short bursts on full throttle. The battery seems to be the limiting factor but I am not going to swap those since I have plenty of 3s 2200mAh 450 heli lipos.

How have you guys dealt with the nose heaviness? Repositioning the battery under canopy is the final solution without adding ballast weights.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Well, my FOX wasn't that nose heavy, so I just decided to use those 2 massive screws for the rudder(Even though it still doesn't give me the throw that I want

Which ESC did you use? Did you upgrade to a 40amp one? And what battery did you use? 35c?

Otherwise I might be cutting out a little part of the body somewhere in the back to put some weight there. Might be useful for hang flying anyways.

Regards
Michael
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 26, 2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:36 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
It is stock so far and I have not even flown yet

I plan to use Turnigy plush 80A because I happen to have one available. The batteries are Turnigy 20C, 30C burst so they propably have to give everything they got. The setup should pull over 40 amps with 10x6 prop.