SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:51 PM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
In the pic. (post 295) the screwdriver is in the set screw of the stock mount, that black piece is plastic. Did they upgrade to metal???
Kerry (yup, allen keys over Pillips fur sure.)
OH dang!!! now I have to pull the motor out again to have a second look to see if it is metal LOL
biggy boy is online now Find More Posts by biggy boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:58 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
I have been looking at this bird and it seems to me that we will need a cooling air OUTLET. I have my ESC parked right in the air inlet but where does the hot air get out??
Me thinks we need vents, Jeanorwin did mention a hot battery.

Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:05 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
I have been looking at this bird and it seems to me that we will need a cooling air OUTLET. I have my ESC parked right in the air inlet but where does the hot air get out??
Me thinks we need vents, Jeanorwin did mention a hot battery.

Kerry
Huh? Vents! Mine has an inlet vent in the bottom front that takes air over the ESC and past the battery then then out another ported vent behind the battery out the bottom. The rear vent is behind the front wheel.

also I rechecked my motor mount and it is indeed metal. There is a fiber board behind the motor mount and the motor fire wall. the fire wall in made of molded plastic.

I'm thinking of drilling holes in my nose cone to allow for motor cooling.

Glen
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:31 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Here is a not so good video(taken using my 808 Key-chain camera) showing my intake and outlet vents. Plus the location of my aileron servos. I was wondering if this was the original location of the servos or if this location is new??

OK Great!! it appears that I have forgotten how to inbed a YouTube video!?!?!
Can anyone help?
I tried doing a search on this forum but came up blank for directions of how too.

EDIT got the video to inbed!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/O6fjuG6tJbI?hl=en&fs=1

Glen
Last edited by biggy boy; Feb 05, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Couldn't get video to inbed
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:58 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
I have no cooling outlet behind the wheel, a plastic mount and my aileron servos where located at the wing root. Sounds like they have been making some improvements. Your aileron servos should be located out in front of the ailerons as usual not at the base of the wing.

Kerry
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:01 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Glen: If the vid is on youtube, go to it, copy the address and paste it in your post.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Glen: If the vid is on youtube, go to it, copy the address and paste it in your post.
Will that inbed it here thou or just provide a link to it?
EDIT:
Got it inbeded
Last edited by biggy boy; Feb 05, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:40 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Hey Glen: here is a link to the other thread that was started on this bird, I was thinking all the info was here, but theres good stuff over there to. Eventually all came to this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1330582&page=3
Post # 36 shows the initial servo location for the ailerons at the base of the wing. I ended up fliping them over and using them on my air brakes.
Nice vid. I don't have the cooling outlet but I think I can add it. I have to be carefull of lighting wires I ran through that area.:-) Also, feelin kinda stupid cuz I scratched my mount and it is metal, duh.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
For me, I think I have a black plastic motor mount, no metal. I didn't mean the battery getting hot, I meant the ESC and the motor. And I do have 2 ventilation holes like in biggy boy's video too, I just noticed the stuff getting hot when trying out the equipment.

I bought the 2nd version and have the aileron's in the wing too.
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:27 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Kerry if you like I can take a good picture of the vent hole at the rear and add all of the dimensions onto the picture, that way it will match the v2
and you can use it as a reference.

Glen
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I flew the plane in 2-3 beaufort today, and I have to say that it was barely controllable. Does anyone have an idea how I could fix this? Maybe give the v2 ailerons a little more throw? I seriously had trouble turning the plane and it was quite unstable.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:27 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
What is 2-3 beaufort
Is that some sort of wind speed?

Glen
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Yes, it's about 2-5 m/s of wind
http://www.kellenberger-treuhand.ch/beauforttabelle.htm

EDIT:
Mine weights 1227grams + 173gr battery(49.38 oz)
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 06, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:58 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Thanks for the offer of the pic. Glen, but I will have to vent mine elsewhere as I have wires running through the bottom. I think I will be able to put it on top right behind the canopy ie. right where the back canopy clip used to be.

Beaufort, meters per second huh waz dat??MPH, KPH, a chart in english or just understand that Kerry will not (understand) :-)
Re: unstable Jeanorwin: Usually unstable means tail heavy, C of G is very important. (40mm) There is a saying "nose heavy flies poorly but tail heavy flies ONCE." Amount of aileron throw will effect the roll rate but should not make the bird unstable. Is your rudder locked straight (or working properly)? Unstable in pitch or roll??? Ensure all surfaces are moving freely (no binding) servos too. Not questioning your knowledge sir, you said you where fairly new to R/C. :-) Hope this helps.

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 06, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:09 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
I think I see a problem with the cooling. The C/G requires the battery to be at the very back blocking the air flow. Many (myself included) have had to remove foam from the back of the battery area to get the C/G right. You could go through the canopy bottom to get the air flow to the back vent, or vent through the canopy top. I am considering 2 vents one on either side directly below the side canopy clips.

Went to have another look before saying any more and decided to just do it.
Name: SANY0302.jpg
Views: 241
Size: 40.2 KB
Description:

Name: SANY0303.jpg
Views: 357
Size: 51.2 KB
Description:
From the inside they are at the back corner, beside the battery area. I may need to enlarge them but I will test first.
Now I have to look at motor cooling as I have near zero air inlet and small outlet.
Kerry