HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:57 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,498 Posts
Me too re the 900's
but Commonsense RC just had a sale on their small servo so I grabbed up a dozen
in their last 1 day free shipping sale .

Time will tell :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:47 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Well it looks like my Fox glider is finally on an airplane from Hong Kong.

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I use a 9gr Hextronik Servo in my Mini Cessna as ailerons, works just fine and sets back into it's standard position just fine. With the Fox I encounter the motor slowly going off the mount now. I'll see may I can screw the motor back on correctly whilst keeping it in it's small moule there, but is there any better method to do so? I mean, how to get the screws on the motor mount screwed?
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanorwin View Post
I use a 9gr Hextronik Servo in my Mini Cessna as ailerons, works just fine and sets back into it's standard position just fine. With the Fox I encounter the motor slowly going off the mount now. I'll see may I can screw the motor back on correctly whilst keeping it in it's small moule there, but is there any better method to do so? I mean, how to get the screws on the motor mount screwed?
The stock mount is tightened with the included screwdriver through a small hole in the side of the fuse./cowel. :-) I replaced the plastic mount with plywood and the motor with one I am familiar with. (about 300 watts)

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:41 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Kerry did you end up splitting the fuse all the way or just the front part, to allow the motor mount to be replaced??

Glen
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:34 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Kerry did you end up splitting the fuse all the way or just the front part, to allow the motor mount to be replaced??

Glen
You only need to split the front 6" or so to get the mount out. Very easy with a sharp knife :-)

Kerry (at work.)
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I meant how I can get the screws under the motor out. I'd need a 90-Screwdriver, or what methods can I use?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:13 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
It's here

Yaah my glider is here!
After seeing jeanorwin video of him unpacking his fox and pointing out the labeling, I thought it was odd!?! My box is plan, no labeling on it at all. No spec's. No diagram nothing to say what was inside. Made me feel kind of dirty like receiving a big box of p@rn videos or an inflatable doll from the Internet.

Anyway it came undamaged and looks great!! The fuse is big.
the whole glider looks impressive! appears to be well built!
No documentation or instruction came with the kit.
i see what you guys mean about the ailerons and rudder not having much play. Guess I'll have to cut some of the wing material away to allow for more deflection??? The wings feel a bit heavy.

The magnets in the motor feel real week. It would be nice to take the motor out and put it on my thrust stand to get a reading on the motor, but that's too much work at this point. If I do get around to replacing the motor, I'll do it then. I have an onboard data logger I'll throw on it to see how may amp it draw under flight.
It's been about twenty five years since I last flew a sail plane, shpuld be interesting.

right now there is about 2 feet (just over half a meter) of snow on the ground so I won't be flying too soon.

Glen
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:27 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,498 Posts
"THEY" simply used my BOX cover and turned it inside out and taped it back together.

Kinda Cheapo packaging but It arrived OK !

Only 2 feet of show !?!?!

There's over 100" of Base up in the Cascades.

But I'm closer to the coast so I have ZERO ! :-)
and ~ 50 deg F and way to much rain and fog and and and ....

C'mon Spring !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:33 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Don't know if this will help anyone?
The botttom is the stock mount etc.
Name: SANY0300.jpg
Views: 461
Size: 66.4 KB
Description:
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright. I found out how to remove the motor. I thought I'd need to take the C-Ring off or whatever but it was just those 2 screws at the motor mount. Should've tried out unscrewing them before asking more stupid questions ;D
Last edited by jeanorwin; Feb 05, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:57 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Only 2 feet of show !?!?!

There's over 100" of Base up in the Cascades.
Kerry and I actually live more south of you. We are both just out side of Toronto. Kerry to the East and I to the West.
Kind of funny to think that parts of Canada ( EI: parts of Ontario) is more south then all of some of the states and more south then parts of other states 12 plus states

I'm looking forward to spring too!!

So I guess it's advisable to pull the motor out and make sure the motor mount is fastened properly then????

Glen
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:06 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to put loktite on the round bit that slides into the mount as well as the set screws. My concern was the motor spinning in the mount, it happened to someone else already (can't remember where I read it though)

Never mind metal/plastic, loktite won't work, perhaps thick C/A or a little epoxy??
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:29 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to put loktite on the round bit that slides into the mount as well as the set screws. My concern was the motor spinning in the mount, it happened to someone else already (can't remember where I read it though)

Never mind metal/plastic, loctite won't work, perhaps thick C/A or a little epoxy??
If you used Epoxy or C/A would it then make is near imposable to get the motor out? Just a thought!?!?!?

HUM... what about drilling a dimple into the sides of the motor shaft where the screws would touch the motor shaft, just enough to make a pocket for the screws to go into. Maybe 1 or 2 mil deep, not all the way through.

I took my motor out to look at the shaft and motor mount, the mount is metal and so is the motor shaft, so could you not then use metal to metal Loctite? if so I would use the light Loctite.
I'm planning on taking the two screws that hold the motor to the motor mount out and replacing them with a pair of Allen key set screws.
I don't trust Phillips screws, Allen key set screws can be tightened way more then Phillips.

Glen
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:42 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
My mount is black plastic not metal but no matter, your idea of recesses in the round bit sounds way better. If I had thought of that I probably would have left the stock motor in it. :-( Good thinking buddy!!
In the pic. (post 295) the screwdriver is in the set screw of the stock mount, that black piece is plastic. Did they upgrade to metal???
Kerry (yup, allen keys over Pillips fur sure.)
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 05, 2011 at 01:00 PM.