Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Thanks Kerry!!

I'd rather have a 11x6 or a 12x6 the 6 pitch would give more thrust and less speed. Should equate to better vertical. but I don't see a 11x6 or a 12x6 in spare blades.
I'm used to flying 3D foamies and being able to hang off of the prop.
Me and speed don't get along well Speed always wins

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
I found a 10x6 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7983 which is what I have on mine but I am running 1000KV stock is 750KV. They have them with spinners for about $8 otherwise you may have to try your LHS. If you get stuck let me know I think I have both.

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright. It arrived today and I had encountered a few problems:

The elevator servo horn screw was a little to short to fit through the elevator, apart from the fact that it seems like the servo horn was inteded to be placed ontop of the elevator which couldn't have worked at all. In the end I screwed 2 servo horns up by trying this, thank god there were enough supplied with the glider(2 add ones) and that I bought some servo horns additionally last time I visited the local hobby store.

Other problem I encountered were the connectors from the ESC to the battery. Stock with the plane are 2*4mm bullet connectors, my Zippy had an XT-60 connector. Had to go out to the local store and buy some other 4mm connectors, no problem now.

I actually had a small transport damage. Both of the wings are broken at the back end of the wing where it's supposed to stick into the main fuselage.

I wonder, is there anything else that should secure the wings apart from the carbon fiber thing and the servo cable?

The elevator/rudder servo don't go back into their normal position when they're being pushed up/to the left..

My CG is at the front of the wing(or like 1cm behind it), is that usual? What CGs do you guys have? I use a Zippy Flightmax 25c 2200mah and I suppose the CG is completely incorrect.. I don't want to put stones into the back of the plane o_O
jeanorwin is offline Find More Posts by jeanorwin
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
I found a 10x6 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7983 which is what I have on mine but I am running 1000KV stock is 750KV. They have them with spinners for about $8 otherwise you may have to try your LHS. If you get stuck let me know I think I have both.

Kerry
Thanks Kerry!

Whats the stock shaft size, I'm going to Barrie tomorrow and will hit Ideal Hobbies and see what they have for blades and spinners.

I think you told the stock spinner is 47Mil wide.

Glen
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:15 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
OK according to the link in an earlier post.
Bob figured it was this motor.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6247

The shaft size for the above motor is 4mm??
Does that sound about right?

Glen
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Glen: I just measured both 47Mil and 4Mil is correct. Go shoppen :-)

Jeanorwin: I think you will find all your answers are in this thread already. Ele. needs material removed, C/G about 40mm , Rud. needs work or lock it straight, Strengthen the C/F rod is a good idea. Read through it, you will find lots of good stuff :-)

Bob: Thanks bud. good stuff on the rudder.
Last edited by Helitime; Jan 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: cm corrected to mm jerk
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Hey Glen: From post #18 "engine works a treat. i replaced the original blades (which i broke accidentally) with 12*6 blades and this thing all but pulls vertical."
You still checking in Pete? (I don't think so :-(
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:55 AM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Hey Glen: From post #18 "engine works a treat. i replaced the original blades (which i broke accidentally) with 12*6 blades and this thing all but pulls vertical."
You still checking in Pete? (I don't think so :-(
Perfect!!! You have an eye for detail there Kerry

12x6 or 12x4 would be good. I often use 12x6 slow fly GSW props all the time on Bell motors, even smaller then the one
in the Fox.

Glen
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright. Going out for the first flight now. I really hope the wings don't rip off mid-air just being secured by the rod.. 40mm seems to be fine with my plane here.. I hope it won't just fall towards the ground Sadly I don't have anyone to record with my HD camcorder, so I might just be using one of those Spykeychains as onboard cam..
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:17 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
JEANORWIN: You do know about the retaining screws for the wings????? A small screwdriver was in the kit, you tighten the screws on the bottom of the wing, they tighten around the C/F wing rod.
GOOD LUCK

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Jan 28, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Alright, I did the first flight today.. Without using the screws.. Thank god nothing bad happened.

But let me start with the first flight: I flew in about 3bft, I just threw the plane a little bit at full throttle and kept the full throttle fora bout 10-15 secs, getting me maybe 20-30m up and then I was gliding for a while and landing, checking may the wings were going off. Everything was just fine, so I tried a little bit of 3D -> Wings were slightly out of the main fuselage, so I put them back in and secured them with some tape, though not doing 3D anymore. Thanks to helitime I'll now be using the screws and I'll be doing some more 3D tomorrow. I was at 3.8V/cell @ 3 cells at the end of flying maybe 2-3 minutes. Yet I'm unsure how long the battery will keep.

Just wondering, how can I see the amount of milliamps that were used? Is there any "cheap" way, like a counter or whatever that I can put into the plane?

QUite new at RC flying, sorry.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
I was at 3.8V/cell @ 3 cells at the end of flying maybe 2-3 minutes. Yet I'm unsure how long the battery will keep.

Just wondering, how can I see the amount of milliamps that were used? Is there any "cheap" way, like a counter or whatever that I can put into the plane?

Most chargers show the amount added back to the battery when charged, that is what you used, assuming it was full at the start. You can also get meters that can be used on the plane while flying but you have to land to check it. Use it a couple times to establish an idea of available time. You will soon be able to tell by the way the plane responds to power ie: the climb is getting slow? soon time to land. Have a look at H.K. under "battery chargers and acc."

I do not think you should be down to 3.8v/cell after only 2>3 min's of power usage. Was the pack fully charged (4.2v/cell), sounds like you have a volt meter. Thats all you really need, do short flights and frequent voltage checks. You have to take off again after each check so you will develop that "feel" even faster.

Kerry
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
I use one of those cheap Turningy chargers that cahrge 2/3cells and it has only 3 LEDs(Green and red).. Nonetheless I'm thinking of getting one of those more "expensive" ones as soon as I have the money.

As far as I remember the cells were previously charged to 4.05/4.08/4.05 Volts, though I'll see how big the voltage is after this charging process. I'll report back.

P.S.: The unboxing video is nearby finished uploading at youtube, will maybe put the link in here in about an hour!

EDIT:
Here's the link:
Hobbyking FOX 2.32m wingspan unboxing (11 min 37 sec)
Last edited by jeanorwin; Jan 28, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,531 Posts
While there is a lot of info in the batterys and chargers forum above

I decided on the iCharger 206B when HK had a sale last summer.
It will charge up to 6 cells balanced and do lots of other stuff
like INDIVIDUAL CELL RESISTANCE ( biggy for me as it tells healthy from sick cells )
and even power your Hot Wire Foam cutter.

Your mileage may vary, but, So far I've had NO problems.

I also have the Quanum Telemetry stuff ( HK again )
It reports your INFLGIHT individual cell voltage on a display the clips to your TX !
Great for Long Glider Flights :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
"P.S.: The unboxing video is nearby finished uploading at youtube, will maybe put the link in here in about an hour!"
Did I hear you say no manual??? I got a 10 page manual with mine (FMS FOX 2.32m)
See if you can find it on the net, I couldn't.