SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:17 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Darn Bob I hope your instruction rates are reasonable.
Did you ever build or see a kids soapbox racer type cart with a board across the front and back and a wheel on each end of the boards? You would push the right and ease back the left to turn left. That was what was stuck in my head while taxiing a C152? for the first time > almost ran it off the taxiway (the instructor is :-O paying more attention now.)

"Step on the ball" would have helped. Actually pulling the rudder cable to move the rudder to that side. It's all starting to make sense :-)

Like when I could never remember which side for nav. lights untill a boater buddy said "red, right, wrong" and it stuck. Red on the left, green on the right and I don't have to ask anymore :-)
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2010, 11:49 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,703 Posts
Having Aircraft experience and a Pilots license
THAT is the Problem I had when I tried to use a Land Yacht ( dirt boat ) out on the Alvord Dessert.

I kept turning the Wrong Way !!!
Instinct just screwed me up !

Then the wind died off and I just gave up.

Never a problem with Kite powered Buggys
but as soon as I sat down in the Land Yacht my mind said = Airplane Cockpit

whachagonndo
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:17 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Hey Bob, how's your little wiggly thing? :-)
Did you get it sorted out ?
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:31 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,703 Posts
The end result is a much more solid rudder mounting and action.

And it moves enough for my purposes.

However, I JUST received Laser cut ply parts for a 1/3 scale Cherokee
Home built type Glider.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=59

I want it to be ready to fly by May so I must get cracking !!!

As I fly the Fox over the winter on the Slopes I will report back.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
That ought to keep you out of trouble for the winter!

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:32 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
The end result is a much more solid rudder mounting and action.

And it moves enough for my purposes.

However, I JUST received Laser cut ply parts for a 1/3 scale Cherokee
Home built type Glider.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=59

I want it to be ready to fly by May so I must get cracking !!!

As I fly the Fox over the winter on the Slopes I will report back.
WOW. Thats impressive, I read the whole thread. Too much work for me, maybe if I ever get to retire one day.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:56 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,703 Posts
Look at all the events we have for this type of activity in the Northwest ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316221

Wheeew ! ! !

AND, I have been busy in CAD with this design too

http://www.rcforums.com.au/forum/vie...php?f=56&t=112

The Duster is another Popular Home built Sailplane.

I'm starting to think that winter is TOO SHORT this year ? ( say what ? )

L8r

bob
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
The carbon fiber rod I ordered to slide into the stock tubular carbon fiber rod came in today. If slides right in snuggly. A little epoxy thinly spread on it will make the wing joining rod completely solid. This should end the wing flex, but with the weather who knows when I'll get the chance to prove it..

Robbie
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:30 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Yahoo :-) just sent another $200 to China. ESC and spinner for this bird ++++++plane, props, motors, heli parts etc. Gotta love it when the wife says "order something that will arrive by xmas"

Bird, you are hard core. Thems some major projects yous gettin in ta. Plus organizing an aero tow event, wow. Ahhhhhhhhh, I bet your retired. Very impressive regardless :-)

Robbie, I tried to get the 5mil rod but no stock at H.K. I will have to try the LHS.

Waiting for Pete to tell us more about how well she flys and thermals, it's getting quiet around here.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Helitime, can you explain to me how did you install the air brakes?
the position of the servo?
Can you post some pictures?
You use the airbrake hobbyking? (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8576)
Papaye is offline Find More Posts by Papaye
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:42 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Hello again Papaye.

I should start by saying that the air brakes are not required on this plane, reports are that it is very easy to land without a lot of speed. I purchased the brakes for a different plane (DG1000) but didn't want to cut up the wood wings. I installed them on this plane just to play with and because I won't be able to fly for a few months at least (cold weather leaves lots of build time:-)).

If you still want to go ahead I will be glad to help. The best pics I have are posted here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1330582&page=3
(post #36). You can zoom on them for more detail.
Basics: I used the stock servos repositioned in ths same spot as they were installed for ailerons. Be sure to install a "z" bend in the control rod so you can put some tension on the down position without having the servo buzzing. They need to be held down! If you have read this thread "Bob" has explained why. (Thanks Bob)

You will probably figure a better way but I ran the control rod (push/pull) through a very light aluminum tube (C/F as an alternate) to avoid binding in the foam.

Any further pic's would be of the finished system as it is closed and painted now, but it is no problem to take more if they will help. :-) And Yes they are the ones you have linked.

Kerry
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Robbie, I tried to get the 5mil rod but no stock at H.K. I will have to try the LHS.

Waiting for Pete to tell us more about how well she flys and thermals, it's getting quiet around here.
Hey Kerry,

I got two rods with my purchase as they only come in 2's from the carbon fiber rod supplier I use. It fit great and I just spread epoxy all over it and slid it into the stock tubular rod and let it set. It's very stiff now and I suspect there will be no wing flexing to speak of. I may even be able to find out today as the skies are sunny and the winds are calm and supposed to remain so all day. I'll provide a report if I'm able to take to the air. If it works like I expect and if you're interested, I could send you the spare rod for the cost of shipping. You're not that far away from me.

Robbie
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:20 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Hey Robbie

Thankyou very much for the offer. I will keep you in mind in case I don't have any luck locally. I probably won't get out to the L.H.S. I need till the new year, but no rush. It was down to 12*F here a couple days ago. I have finally finished discharging all my LIPO's to storage voltage, how's that for depressing.

Again, THANKYOU for the offer!!! Good luck on todays flight and don't forget to report. :-)

Kerry
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
I have an actual flight report!

I did 2 flights today. The skies were blue, temperature was around 40F, and the wind was virtually nonexistent! Just what I was waiting for to really see how this bird flies!!

The first thing is that the solid carbon fiber rod down the center of the stock tubular one was a huge success. No noticeable wing flexing whatsoever. With that said, I did some aerobatics and this motorglider performs them well. I did all of them under no power. Rolls, hammerhead stalls, loops all went very well. Inverted flight was just okay, but not great. I'm sure with the motor on it would be. The elevator throw is the only thing I left stock on mine. It's more than enough for good sport flying.

Both flights were over 1/2 hour. This motorglider thermals quite well and it's also fast when you want to go fast. It does the whistling thing when flying ever so slightly nose down overhead too. A bonus! I love that sound! She definitely picks up speed quickly. What I like best of all is that she flies very smoothly and is easy to keep in even a small thermal with the increased rudder and aileron throws. There are no bad habits at all. Upon landing, she comes noticeably slower than my ASW 28 did. The ASW28 wanted to be moving at over 20 mph all the way down to the ground. That said, I did use the spoilerons and this let me pinpoint where I wanted to set her down fairly accurately. You'll want to use those airbrakes Kerry for this feature alone. This just became my favorite motorglider today! I also love how she is very easy to hand launch. No running start nonsense.

I set my down timer on the Dx6i to 6 minutes instead of the usual 8 minutes with the 3s1p 2200mah 25-35C batteries to account for the colder air so 30 minute flights were achieved on around 5 - 6 minutes of power. Not bad! I think I'll leave the down timer at 6 minutes.

She's a winner!

Robbie
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:49 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Wow, excellent report Robbie and all good news. We got the same temps and low winds here today without the sun. I got the xmas tree out and up and lights'n stuff but no flying :-(

I am gettin real anxious to fly this thing now. I will have the spinner and esc end of next week or soon after. Hmmm, maybe the "frozen finger fun fly" on new years day.

Did you happen to try stalls Robbie ? My DG1000 drops a wing followed quickly by the nose and needs a chunck of altitude to pull out of the dive. Sounds like your ASW is the same, just DON'T SLOW DOWN till your back on the ground. But that DG whistle can raise the hair on my neck :-).

Thanks again for a great report Robbie