HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Flaps/flaperons(down) increase lift and drag often requiring down elevator to prevent slowing to the point of stall. Stall speed is reduced. landing speed can be reduced and controlled with power.

Spoilers/spoilerons kill lift and increase drag often requiring down elevator to prevent slowing to the point of stall. Stall speed is increased. Landing speed is increased with no benefit to adding power. Power would just make the landing even faster (as in high speed).

This is my understanding of the basics.
Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:57 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
Anybody flown this airframe at 16oz/sq.ft. loading?
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:40 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
529 Posts
Managed to get 3 flights on the Fox this morning.

The conditions were not ideal....... it was a bit blustery at times but decided to fly anyway because I wanted to check out my spoileron settings.

I had programmed about 15mm up on the ailerons with 2mm down elevator mixed in.

First flight, up to height, turn into the wind, cut motor to check that normal trim settings were ok. Everything was fine so I did another circuit, and when flying straight and level I hit the flap switch. The nose pitched down but not violently. However, it was evident that I had too much down elevator. Anyway, I continued the flight to re-acquaint myself with the model.

Second flight as before but with about 35% reduction of down elevator mix. Up to height and hit the flap switch again......better but still not perfect. So, cruise around a while and simply enjoy the flight.

Third flight. I increased the deflection of the ailerons to 18mm and left the elevator mix as is. Up we go again, gain sufficient height and hit the switch. I noticed a slight pitch variation but nothing significant so we're getting closer.
Cruise around again until my Tx timer sounds. Line up for landing.......keep the wings level......hit the flap switch......lose some height........ground approaching......a touch of up elvator just before touchdown and a nice rollout at the end. Not bad for my first foray into spoilerons I thought.

I think There's still some fine tuning to be done but I'm content.

Lipo's currently charging for more flights this afternoon/tomorrow morning.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:55 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
Sounds like you've about got Steve. I have cut my wings to add flaps. Was planning to make an FPV rig, but not liking the weight at all. Think I'll just keep it as a windy day flyer.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
529 Posts
Three more flights this morning in slightly less breezy conditions.

The spoilerons are nicely dialed in now but I only used them when landing for the first flight today. They certainly speed up the descent somewhat and I can see how they would be useful on a short strip. However, I don't really need them because I have room enough. And to be honest I like the way my Fox just cruises gently to touchdown without them.

Still, thanks to you chaps on here I have learnt something new and applied it successfully in practice which is great.

Sawman, I would be interested in hearing/seeing more about your flap mod.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,183 Posts
I'll post some pics when I get to the point of putting it together. Been slow as I am really tied up with non-flying projects.
Basically I just hacked out the trailing edge with an Xacto knife and will hinge it with packing tape. Will carve out a recess for servos and see what happens. They will probably be larger than necessary, but my main objective was camber changing while thermaling.
Looking at the resulting wing loading, I don't think she will be a floater. LOL
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:18 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
G'day fox flyers,
Got an hour and ten minutes out of two 2200mah batteries in ideal conditions. My CG was set at 50mm and I used about 5mm up on flaperons. The only thing i believe this birds really needs is down thrust on the motor. I've added three washers and it has tamed the pitch up with power but will add a fourth so i don't have to use down elevator while climbing.

While the fox is not a light weight glider, she caught thermals very well. Had her up about 400ft and caught a thermal over our parking lot where we fly, and she just floated for over ten minutes. It was so nice I just took my hands off the sticks and let her go. Overall - with good conditions she will deliver beautiful flights.

On landing i now use the flaperons which shorted my 100yd+ down to a manageable 20 yds. She comes down at a nice glide angle which really shorts up the rollout. The flaperons really help in reducing the "floatiness" while she in ground effect.

With just a few tweaks I would recommend the plane to anyone wanting to step up to a larger plane.

Sitting in a lawn chair and flying without all the maintenance, noise and a favorite drink is just plain relaxing and above all fun!
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
prop wash
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldmarshal1 View Post
G'day fox flyers,

On landing i now use the flaperons which shorted my 100yd+ down to a manageable 20 yds. She comes down at a nice glide angle which really shorts up the rollout. The flaperons really help in reducing the "floatiness" while she in ground effect.

)
Hi,
How many degress of elevator do you have mixed in with the flaperons for landing?

Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
I was getting all of my planes ready for spring, and found my DX6I has crapped out. So I went and got a new DX7S, the 7 has a three position flap switch.
My question is, is there any point in setting up the wing as flaperons and using the three position switch to have spoilerons and flaperons on the Fox?
I'd use the up switch position for spoilerons and the middle switch position for neutral (level position) and the down switch position for flaperons.
Or should I just set up the flap switch for one or the other?
And which is most prefered spoilerons or flaperons?

Glen
Last edited by biggy boy; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,911 Posts
I vote for spoilerons by far. They go up 30 deg or more.....as much as I could without causing the servo to protest.

Also strongly suggest you use the TX function that allows you to set the rise rate of the flap. I used the flaperon function with the DX8. I think I set it for a couple of seconds.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I vote for spoilerons by far. They go up 30 deg or more.....as much as I could without causing the servo to protest.

Also strongly suggest you use the TX function that allows you to set the rise rate of the flap. I used the flaperon function with the DX8. I think I set it for a couple of seconds.
OK thanks!
I have it set for 1.6 seconds. I have the radio programed as stated above, with both flaperon and spoileron. I had it set up with max spoileron throw, but it didn't leave any play for the ailerons to work in the up direction so i dialed the spoilerons down some.

Glen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
OK thanks!
I have it set for 1.6 seconds. I have the radio programed as stated above, with both flaperon and spoileron. I had it set up with max spoileron throw, but it didn't leave any play for the ailerons to work in the up direction so i dialed the spoilerons down some.

Glen
Hey Glen
Glad to see your still at it with this bird.

Now I'm off to see if I can find this flap rate you guys are talking about, I have never noticed or heard of it. Maybe my old DX7 doesn't have it???

Kerry
EDIT: Just noticed DX8 and DX7S, I have the DX7 but not the "S". I'm guessing I don't have this rate function.
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Hey Glen
Glad to see your still at it with this bird.

Now I'm off to see if I can find this flap rate you guys are talking about, I have never noticed or heard of it. Maybe my old DX7 doesn't have it???

Kerry
EDIT: Just noticed DX8 and DX7S, I have the DX7 but not the "S". I'm guessing I don't have this rate function.
Hey Kerry,
I haven't flown it in more then a year but thought I would give it another try this coming spring. I've been mostly flying an old PZ spitfire,
old striker and electric convertion Super Star mostly.

The flap rate is kind of cool, no snapping action with it.

Kerry do you have either of the radian gliders?

Glen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Hey Kerry,
I haven't flown it in more then a year but thought I would give it another try this coming spring. I've been mostly flying an old PZ spitfire,
old striker and electric convertion Super Star mostly.

The flap rate is kind of cool, no snapping action with it.

Kerry do you have either of the radian gliders?

Glen
Sorry, never had a "Radian". I have heard that they are good and noticed a few being used for FPV.

I finished a DLG in the fall (just in time to park it for the winter).
My Fox only flew a couple times last year. Drawing high amps after a crash. I have the replacement motor but am currently finishing up a KDS700V2 heli. The Fox might be ready for spring.

Kerry
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:17 PM
prop wash
Joined Dec 2002
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Sorry, never had a "Radian". I have heard that they are good and noticed a few being used for FPV.

I finished a DLG in the fall (just in time to park it for the winter).
OH I hope you have been getting your arm worked up and ready for the spring.
You don't want to blow out your shoulder on the first pitch.

Glen