HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,397 Posts
Don't know where you guys have your CG, but I moved mine back per recommendations in this thread. Moving the CG back slows the descent, and it makes the Fox react to lighter lift. It also makes it easier to stall, and loose the light lift you just found.

My Fox doesn't climb in the lightest lift, but I can usually find enough to hold altitude. My problem isn't so much with the Fox as my own skill. It sees the lift, I just don't work it all that well. I have a Multiplex Flamingo (2.5 M) and a Graupner Cirrus (3M). Both old designs. The Cirrus is even what used to be called a "gas bag". My experience is that if the Fox doesn't see the lift, they wouldn't either.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,274 Posts
My cg is at 50mm. I have a SkyClimber, CloudsFly, Easy Glider and a Riser, all of which can stay up longer than I can on one battery pack...... not so with the FOX. It's just a matter of wing loading, the FOX has a much higher wing loading than the others. Perhaps I'm just a lousy glider pilot.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:17 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Maiden my Fox yesterday in 15Mph wind - freat flight!.
Thanks to all the research on this site I started with CG at 53mm, which I cut out of the fuselage area so my battery fit perfect and it was DEAD ON! Flew for 25 minutes up to around 500 ft and just won't land when brought down. Needed 100yds to land so she is doing what she is suppose to - glide. Caught themals very easliy and it just speeds around without power like a jet. Thanks again to all. feldmarshal1
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Anyone know where I can get replacement screws to hold the winds on? Preferably hex head ones?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:12 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
The wind is fleeting, I do not believe it can be held.....
woketman is online now Find More Posts by woketman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:29 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Haha. Damn. I meant, wing. :-)
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:48 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
Sorry, I am such a wise-a_s!
woketman is online now Find More Posts by woketman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,397 Posts
The wing screws are 2x8mm.

Hobby King sells 2x8 hex screws: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12307. It may take a while to get them, as it's Chinese New Year.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
493 Posts
Hello all,

I'm resurrecting my Fox again in readiness for some decent weather. We've had nothing but wind and rain over here ( yes, even in Spain) for weeks on end with only the occasional break for some flying. So, taking advantage of the time to prep the Fox in readiness for some decent flying weather.

I must admit that when the opportunity to fly has risen, I've been flying sport models more than my gliders. But, now have the urge for some soaring again.

Regarding the CG of the Fox, mine is set at 55/56mm and floats along very nicely at this setting with no nasty tendencies.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Had the fox out yesterday in winds up to 17mph. I had adjusted the control horn throw on the elevator to the outside for the servo and inside for the rubber horn. This was way to much movement and the fox flew very twitchy/sensitive compared to my first flight. I've brought it back by putting the servo on the center hole again, but beware, it will loose that lift and reacts fast the more the evelvator moves and not in a good way. Otherwise 53mm is a perfect CG and have a long runway to land on.
Feldmarshal1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Had the fox out for an hour of flight time and have determined that the CG set at 53mm is perfect for gliding, but for power on is too far back. With the motor on it stalls alot! Can only climb at about 3/4 throttle and that needs lots of down elevator so it doesn't stall. Full throttle and bad stall! Will move CG to 50mm and experiment/compromise with the flight characteristics to see what is best overall. Just knid of sad that i have to do that best the glide ratio is just fantastic and 53mm.
Anyone with input please chime in.
Feldmarshal1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
5,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldmarshal1 View Post
Had the fox out for an hour of flight time and have determined that the CG set at 53mm is perfect for gliding, but for power on is too far back. With the motor on it stalls alot! Can only climb at about 3/4 throttle and that needs lots of down elevator so it doesn't stall. Full throttle and bad stall! Will move CG to 50mm and experiment/compromise with the flight characteristics to see what is best overall. Just knid of sad that i have to do that best the glide ratio is just fantastic and 53mm.
Feldmarshal1
Most sailplanes and many powered planes will climb at a very steep rate if not countered with down elevator. This should not be a surprise. Flying an RC aircraft is not a simple one control at a time endeavor. Set the balance (CG) for the best power off glide (or moderate throttle for a powered plane) with as little trim input as possible, then use whatever other inputs you need when under power to keep it going where and how you want it to. Some of this includes using "mixes".
You'll know the best glide ratio when you do a power off fly by (at neutral or near neutral control surface trim) at an altitude you can easily see what it's doing. Too high and you're just guessing that it's "fantastic" because up high, you don't know what other factors, like thermals and winds aloft, may affect the glide. Once this is done and it still has a tendency to go vertical, then you might suspect that something is crooked (wings or tail) from the build.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldmarshal1 View Post
Feldmarshal1
Shim the motor mount to add down thrust.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:33 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
+1 on that.

In case you are not familiar, near the top of the page (right under the page numbers) you will find "Thread Tools" click on the drop-down and then "show all attachments in this thread" It is then very easy to quickly find pic's of what others have done.(ie: to add down thrust)
I have about 10>15 deg. down on mine and it still wants a little down elevator at higher throttle settings. I had to split the fuse and cut new mounts into the foam as many others have done. If you get into the pic's you can click on the word "post" at the bottom of the pic. and it will take you directly to the post to get further info.

Hope this helps
Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:13 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
+2

I did the same and have no climb issues under power.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana