HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,087 Posts
The Fox was in sight for me when my son lost it behind the tree. He stopped the video at that point, and resumed when I came back in his view. He missed the Fox doing a loop and a roll. Oh we'll.

My fox is a V2. I kept it stock except I carved some foam out of the fuse so I could move the battery back about 1 1/2 inches. The Fox thermals best with the CG is back at 50 mm aft of the wing leading edge. I used a 2200 mah battery, and needed to add 3/4 oz of lead to the tail to get the CG right. I also added wide red stripes to the bottom of the wings to aid visibility at altitude. It works.

I have a couple of late 1970s sailplanes converted to electric power: a 2.5M Multiplex Flamingo and a 3M Graupner Cirrus. They are great flying sailplanes, but I find the Fox a much easier plane to fly, especially in gusty winds. It is a surprisingly good thermalling plane as well. It is fun to fly.

If you have a V1 Fox, you should look in this thread for some good mods. FMS incorporated the important ones in V2. You can tell the difference in versions by looking at the pilot. A V1 pilot is a bug eyed armless bust. A V2 pilot has outstretched arms, and normal eyes.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
If you have a V1 Fox, you should look in this thread for some good mods. FMS incorporated the important ones in V2. You can tell the difference in versions by looking at the pilot. A V1 pilot is a bug eyed armless bust. A V2 pilot has outstretched arms, and normal eyes.
Not sure this is a good indicator for the Fox in general, but may be for the specific HK versions (which this thread is named). For instance, my Nitroplanes Fox appears to be a V1, but has a pilot with outstretched arms...and sunglasses on. :-)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:26 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
For sure.
My Nitro Fox is version 1 with a pilot with no sunglasses, no arms and very heavy.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
for glider fox :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0kv_420w_.html

You recommend??????????

tank`s
F22raptor2012 is offline Find More Posts by F22raptor2012
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22raptor2012 View Post
That motor is almost twice the kv of the stock motor which is 750kv. I'd look for something in the 750-850kv range. You'd have to really reduce the size of the prop with that motor. In addition, be careful about motor weight. That plane is nose heavy as it comes and adding any weight to the nose would be undesirable. I don't know the weight of the stock motor so I can't say if the motor you selected is heavier than the stock or not.
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,816 Posts
Actually, most Fox EPO gliders that use the recommended 2200 mah battery is nose heavy. People can't get the battery back far enough and have to add weight to the tail to make it balance.
This is the better replacement motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_750kv.html
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
That motor is almost twice the kv of the stock motor which is 750kv. I'd look for something in the 750-850kv range. You'd have to really reduce the size of the prop with that motor. In addition, be careful about motor weight. That plane is tail heavy as it comes and adding any weight to the nose would be undesirable. I don't know the weight of the stock motor so I can't say if the motor you selected is heavier than the stock or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Actually, most Fox EPO gliders that use the recommended 2200 mah battery is nose heavy. People can't get the battery back far enough and have to add weight to the tail to make it balance.
This is the better replacement motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_750kv.html
tank`s motor Turnigy L3010C-1300kv Weight (g)87

I want to be a strong engine and good brands

You recommend?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
hoppy,

I think you meant nose heavy, because al the guys I know had to put lead in the tail (about 10 grams). Installing the servos in the tail was a way to compensate this (and to get rid of sloppy control surface movement to of course)
Steve
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:04 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,816 Posts
Quote:
tank`s motor Turnigy L3010C-1300kv Weight (g)87

I want to be a strong engine and good brands

You recommend?
Read what Hoppy posted. That motor will spin too fast. You'll have to change the prop size significantly.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts

I got my engine so I use a Fox glider?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000kv.html
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,816 Posts
Quote:

I got my engine so I use a Fox glider?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000kv.html
Sorry, I do not understand what you're trying to say. The Fox Glider that is featured in this thread comes with an engine. It is a 750kv motor. If you have a different Fox Glider, then it will require a different motor.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476 View Post
hoppy,

I think you meant nose heavy, because al the guys I know had to put lead in the tail (about 10 grams). Installing the servos in the tail was a way to compensate this (and to get rid of sloppy control surface movement to of course)
Steve
LOL...Just now.I was out in the garage watching the football game and glanced over at my FOX and seeing the lead in the tail realized I had misspoke. Glad someone reads my posts.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:51 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Brugge
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
LOL. Glad someone reads my posts.
That's the best proof, insert a HOAX in to a thread now and then

Cheers

Steve
stevo0476 is online now Find More Posts by stevo0476
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:36 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,111 Posts
Just got back from flying the FOX. Back in the garage it will go till I forget how fast it comes down. That relatively heavy wing loading just doesn't allow it to stay up long under non-thermal conditions. It looks great in the air but for "floating" I much prefer my Sky Climber.

Anyone else have those feelings or is it just me?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:52 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Just got back from flying the FOX. Back in the garage it will go till I forget how fast it comes down. That relatively heavy wing loading just doesn't allow it to stay up long under non-thermal conditions. It looks great in the air but for "floating" I much prefer my Sky Climber.

Anyone else have those feelings or is it just me?
Yup on that. I have never seen the Fox GAIN altitude. Although the thermals where I fly are generally weak and hard to find I have managed 1 hour flights on a 1000mah pack in a lighter bird.
The Fox is a fun plane to fly but it's always coming down.

Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime