Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
When you say roll I think weeble. I get concerned about what I see the plane doing and then I quit trying to roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
I corrected thrust line issues by mixing down elevator. I now have level flight-> a slight climb from low to full power. The down elevator should only help keep the nose up when inverted. I think the main problem is just insufficient power with the stock setup. Even full power and a zooming dive produces a very slow roll that rapidly decays when approaching inverted. I just wondered if anyone was having better luck rolling their Fox.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:38 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,394 Posts
Do you guys have any LINKs for upgraded motor (direct fit, no mods)? (prop size?) for this v2 Fox?

I have a couple 45mm spinners lying around...

P.S.
with the CoG at ~50mm, what is the largest capacity 3s Lipo have you guys used to fly?

Thanks
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
With an 1800mah, about 4" of foam needed to be removed to get the pack far enough back to get the cg at 50mm. The pack was almost completely inside the rear of the body. Even so, an ounce or more of tailweight was needed.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,555 Posts
I use a 2200 3S 25C battery. It sits back about 2". I have a foam block in front of the battery to keep it from shifting forward. At this setting I need 3/4 oz of lead attached to the rear of the fuse to get the CG to 50mm. Moving the battery further aft might help. I just don't like carving up the structure of the fuse too much.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
I use a 2200 3S 25C battery. It sits back about 2". I have a foam block in front of the battery to keep it from shifting forward. At this setting I need 3/4 oz of lead attached to the rear of the fuse to get the CG to 50mm. Moving the battery further aft might help. I just don't like carving up the structure of the fuse too much.
I use 1600MA 3S 40C batterys; don't need near the rear weight, still get lots of air time. I have a 225 Watt motor up frount, gives enough power and doesn't weigh to much.
I had moved both the rudder and elevator servos to the rear, this helps with the balance problem
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Last edited by btdt; Dec 04, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:11 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,394 Posts
....I guess a bigger Lipo (~3s 3000mah +) is out of the equation.
If one was to put a bigger Lipo, there would be too much foam to carve
towards the rear of the plane.... bummer :-(
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,437 Posts
I use a 1600mah 3 cell Zippy from HK and I get over an hour of safe flight time with several climbs to height.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:40 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,223 Posts
Quote:
I've tried aileron rolls with the Fox. I even dived and pulled out at full throttle, and still the Fox drops and wants to fall out of the roll. My CG is at 50mm.

Is anyone having better luck rolling their Fox?
Just came back from flying my Fox. Tried to get a video but I was alone and I didn't have the camera pointed correctly to get the plane in frame.
I rolled it several times, looped it, flew it upside down in a big circuit. There was no problems doing any of it. When rolling, you don't do it on a dive, unless it's really high up. You do it with power on a slight climb and good airspeed. You also use rudder when on knife edge and down elevator when inverted. If you do a roll on a dive and use no rudder or elevator, most planes will lose altitude. Due to the fact that the Fox is a glider and has relatively long wings, roll is quite slow and sluggish. You need high rates (lots of aileron travel) to roll as quickly as possible and even then, rudder and elevator are required. The Fox rolls just fine when you know how to do it. On the other hand, it's a "biggish" sailplane. Why would you want to roll it much anyway?
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I"m puzzled; I have a 12 inch carbon that came with the kit, it fits in the hole that the joiner for the wings is (thats the one that has the set screws ); there is also a square hole closer to the leading edge that this rod will fit in. On the hobby king website there is a video showing a carbon rod in this area (nearer the leadig edge of the wing) joining the wings. the video is showing the V1 verson I believe. I think; but I"m not sure that I have the V2 version,
Am I missing a rod? Or where does this rod I have go? I haven't flown this thing yet. so I don't want the wings to fold if I put this 12 inch rod in the wrong holes.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
I have the V1 and it has no "extra" carbon rod so you most have V2.

However, the V2 manual does not mention a 2nd carbon rod. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X774521X48.pdf

You do have the longer rod, right? The one that uses the wing clamps. By the way, I just lightly tighen the clamps to prevent distorting the phillips heads.
Last edited by hoppy; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,555 Posts
I created a video of my V2 Fox maiden. When I was doing the initial hand launches to get the trim straightened out, the winds were about 10mph. Just after launching they started gusting 15-20mph. The Fox handled the winds very well. I originally used a CG of 42mm aft of the LE. After the maiden, I moved the CG back to 50mm (per recommendations on this thread). It thermals very well now, and still handles wind well.

Here is the video, and yep the white haired old guy is me!

Fox Maiden (6 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:05 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,394 Posts
Maguro,
cool Vid:-)

How big of a Flight Lipo can you use?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:09 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
The problem with the size of the lipo is the cg. I've found a 3s1800mah has to be placed in a cutout area well back of the normal battery location to get the cg on. I wouldn't go any larger than that and would recommend a smaller High C-rate pack as light as you can find. Perhaps one of the ZIPPY Compact packs, 1500 or 1800mah.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,555 Posts
I used a 2200 mah 25c battery pushed 1 1/2 inches back into the fuselage. I still had to add 3/4 oz of lead to get the 50 mm CG I wanted. Using a smaller higher C rated battery might work. You just have to be able to provide sufficient current to the motor with the least weight. I used what I had. It worked for me.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:49 AM
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Joined Dec 2007
124 Posts
Very nice maguro - both the Fox and the video.
Loved the music, appropriate and better than listening to the wind.

What happened when she went behind the tree?
I see the video cut then, I assume you still had her in view if the camera didn't, hehe!

That has given me the incentive to get mine going - it's been sitting in the box on the shelf for AGES....

Is yours stock?
Apologies if you have described the build earlier up the thread, I've not been there yet, not read the thread for AGES either
BikerDon is offline Find More Posts by BikerDon