HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
790 Posts
I had the HK air brakes installed in my first set of wings, very effective. Here is a link to a vid showing the landing
Fox Glider 2.32M Air brake landing (2 min 10 sec)
you can see the near 45deg. decent with no increase in speed and the short landing.
They are a bit of a pain to install but work great. You need to make sure they are closed TIGHT when down or they can be lifted by the air flow over the wing. I used an HK speed/direction gizmo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html to have them open slowly but slam closed. At the start of the vid you can see them operated on the ground before launch.

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
phil alvirez,

Glad to hear you got your parts from BH without incident. Don't know what the wing tube is made of but it seems to work ok. It will flex enough to support the wings in a high G pull out from a dive. I inadvertantly pulled out of a dive low to the ground after rolling out of an Immelman too low for comfort and boy you could see those wings flex down at he bottom of the dive as I jerked up elevator. Thought for sure they'd snap off. Lucky, I guess, that it held together. If you try any fancy manuevers , make sure you have some altitude first.
Stinkey Propwash is offline Find More Posts by Stinkey Propwash
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Hi all. Here my first video of my Fox V2
really needed the flaps or airbrakes? thanks
Fox 25 11 2012 (6 min 3 sec)
asmodeo is offline Find More Posts by asmodeo
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkey Propwash View Post
Don't know what the wing tube is made of but it seems to work ok.
Aluminum.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeo View Post
Hi all. Here my first video of my Fox V2
really needed the flaps or airbrakes? thanks
Where do you have the CG set at ? Looks to be handling fine. Good job
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:06 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkey Propwash View Post
phil alvirez,
Don't know what the wing tube is made of but it seems to work ok. It will flex enough to support the wings in a high G pull out from a dive. I inadvertantly pulled out of a dive low to the ground after rolling out of an Immelman too low for comfort and boy you could see those wings flex down at he bottom of the dive as I jerked up elevator. Thought for sure they'd snap off. Lucky, I guess, that it held together. If you try any fancy manuevers , make sure you have some altitude first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Aluminum.
Mine has a fiberglass tube for the joiner. Has anyone replaced the spars with something lighter...like maybe a carbon tube?The first thing I noticed upon picking up a wing was that the spar is quite heavy.
I'm a flat-lander and will be shaving weight wherever I can.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Mine has a fiberglass tube for the joiner.
I don't think he was talking about the "joiner". I think he's talking about the tube that runs almost the entire length of each wing. It's aluminum. Hold it up to a light and you'll see it. The tubes the joiner shoves into and get clamped are separate from the aluminum tubes. Don't know what those are made off.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Quote:
I don't think he was talking about the "joiner". I think he's talking about the tube that runs almost the entire length of each wing. It's aluminum. Hold it up to a light and you'll see it. The tubes the joiner shoves into and get clamped are separate from the aluminum tubes. Don't know what those are made off.
OK, mine is aluminum also...can see it through slots in the foam and makes a "tink" sound if tapped with a screwdriver. I'm considering surgically removing it and putting a CF tube in. Thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
I'm considering surgically removing it and putting a CF tube in. Thoughts?
Good luck with that. I just replaced my wings after flying my Fox into a tall lamp post. I tried to extract those Aluminum tubes to see of I could straighten them. Not a chance. It would take the complete destruction of the wings to accomplish such a task. They are glued in there so solid, the tubes will be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to separate from the foam.
Besides, you won't save any weight to speak of by replacing aluminum with CF. My car has an aluminum OEM hood. I replaced it with a CF hood. The 2 weigh virtually the same. Compared to the overall weight of a flying Fox glider, the weight of those tubes are insignificant.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
790 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with that. I just replaced my wings after flying my Fox into a tall lamp post. I tried to extract those Aluminum tubes to see of I could straighten them. Not a chance. It would take the complete destruction of the wings to accomplish such a task. They are glued in there so solid, the tubes will be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to separate from the foam.
Besides, you won't save any weight to speak of by replacing aluminum with CF. My car has an aluminum OEM hood. I replaced it with a CF hood. The 2 weigh virtually the same. Compared to the overall weight of a flying Fox glider, the weight of those tubes are insignificant.
I agree. The square aluminum tubes are very light. I scavanged a piece from a broken wing to use on another project and don't think you would save any weight. Big destructive job to get them out as mentioned.

Kerry
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,936 Posts
I've tried aileron rolls with the Fox. I even dived and pulled out at full throttle, and still the Fox drops and wants to fall out of the roll. My CG is at 50mm.

Is anyone having better luck rolling their Fox?
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
I've tried aileron rolls with the Fox. I even dived and pulled out at full throttle, and still the Fox drops and wants to fall out of the roll. My CG is at 50mm.

Is anyone having better luck rolling their Fox?
Does it pitch up at full throttle (thrust line issues)?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:40 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Besides, you won't save any weight to speak of by replacing aluminum with CF.
The reason I asked, is the only glue I could see was at the root end. But your probably right...major operation.
I've used aluminum arrow shafts on several planes with great results. Thinner walls and very stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
I agree. The square aluminum tubes are very light. I scavanged a piece from a broken wing to use on another project and don't think you would save any weight. Big destructive job to get them out as mentioned.
Kerry
Yours were square ?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:33 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
790 Posts
Quote:
The reason I asked, is the only glue I could see was at the root end. But your probably right...major operation.
I've used aluminum arrow shafts on several planes with great results. Thinner walls and very stiff.

Yours were square ?
Sorry, my mistake (I had to go check)
Feeling a little dumb right now. Actually, I used an old GWS Slow Stick fuse (Square alum.) to repair an EasyStar wing. I guess thats where my head was at.?

Kerry

I checked an old bashed up Fox wing (same plane this time for sure) it is either glued all the way or maybe placed in the mold before the foam, it's stuck good.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,936 Posts
I corrected thrust line issues by mixing down elevator. I now have level flight-> a slight climb from low to full power. The down elevator should only help keep the nose up when inverted. I think the main problem is just insufficient power with the stock setup. Even full power and a zooming dive produces a very slow roll that rapidly decays when approaching inverted. I just wondered if anyone was having better luck rolling their Fox.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro