HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider

I flew mine today but it was nose heavy. I tried to follow the 40 MM recommendation with the ARF version. It flew great but need power to keep flying. It wasnt a floater but looked good in the air. Can I adjust the lipo to keep in in the air? The wings look like more of a fast glider build for aerobatics like the full scale version its designed like for a foam glider.

Where is best to put the 2200 MA lipo? I have it in the foam area for the lipo.

Should I cut some foam at the rear of the area?

I tried the quarter method on the rear of the airplane but it didnt help.

Should I use a smaller lipo to avoid cutting the foam?

Thanks for the help.

Also I have to tighten wing screws to secure the carbon rod. Is there any other method to keep the wings on without screwing in the screws securing the carbon wing tube?
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFlysRC View Post
I flew mine today but it was nose heavy. I tried to follow the 40 MM recommendation with the ARF version. It flew great but need power to keep flying. It wasnt a floater but looked good in the air. Can I adjust the lipo to keep in in the air? The wings look like more of a fast glider build for aerobatics like the full scale version its designed like for a foam glider.

Where is best to put the 2200 MA lipo? I have it in the foam area for the lipo.

Should I cut some foam at the rear of the area?

I tried the quarter method on the rear of the airplane but it didnt help.

Should I use a smaller lipo to avoid cutting the foam?

Thanks for the help.

Also I have to tighten wing screws to secure the carbon rod. Is there any other method to keep the wings on without screwing in the screws securing the carbon wing tube?
I use a 2200 mah battery. I've cut the foam as far back as I dare, put the battery there and STILL needed the quarters. If you have a 1300 mah battery, give that a try. Once it's balanced and trimmed right, it's a true sailplane. It'll fly for a long time with no power if the winds and thermals are right. 1300 mah will get you pretty high up at least once.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Chris Flys RC

Try balancing at 50 MM for better float. Battery can be moved back or add weight to tail. Mine needed 0.8 OZ in tail with 1800 MA lipo battery in the molded in foam battery bay to balance at 50 MM.
Stinkey Propwash is online now Find More Posts by Stinkey Propwash
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Flew the Fox again today. Needed left aileron trim and a little up trim. Using 10% throttle / elevator mix and 50% aileron /rudder mix. CG at 50 MM. Flew well and floated 100 yards with power off at eye level before finally touching down. However, after the flight the prop shaft seemed to wobble a little due to one of the two motor retaining screws being loose. They are phillips head or cross point screws and I'd likwe to replace them with socket head screws. Anyone know what size they are and does the motor need to be removed to change out the screws?????
Stinkey Propwash is online now Find More Posts by Stinkey Propwash
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider

I removed the quarters and didnt move the lipo. I have full up elevator trim and it flys level with minimal nose down with power off.

I might want to add something to insure the wings stay on before any aerobatics with this glider. The screws seem to be holding.

Also has any added any markings to the lower wing for better visability? Full scale version has a few markings.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Zakla...9d53fab4e59c6d

Landings are good with the nose gear and tail wheel.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFlysRC View Post
I removed the quarters and didnt move the lipo. I have full up elevator trim and it flys level with minimal nose down with power off.

I might want to add something to insure the wings stay on before any aerobatics with this glider. The screws seem to be holding.

Also has any added any markings to the lower wing for better visability? Full scale version has a few markings.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Zakla...9d53fab4e59c6d

Landings are good with the nose gear and tail wheel.

Full up elevator trim? I try for no trim level flight. Are you saying your elevator is quite a bit up in normal flight?

My gliders have a dark color on the bottom of the body, wings, and elevator. Makes it stand out against the sky. I once used a 2" checkerboard pattern but it dissappeared quickly at altitude. What ever pattern is used it has to be BIG.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,268 Posts
Full trim on the elevator is only a few mm. However, this is not the proper way to trim a plane. Best to balance the plane properly with neutral trim. Move battery first or add weight second.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider

The elevator is full to keep the nose. The glider flies ok on either a 1300 or a 2200 MA lipo using the 40MM CG. A smaller lipo is best on this airplane and I dont have to use complete trim on the airplane. I didnt want to remove any foam in the battery compartment.

Its more aerobatic and does float at higher altitudes but you have to continually fly the glider.

The landing gear does help but I am adding wingtip wheels to make sure the wings dont hit the ground on landing.

Also the wing tube screws have to be tightened all the way so the hold the wings on the glider so they dont get loose and leave the airplane during flight.

Also visability is tough so coloring the wing might help for visability using the full scale Fox glider.

I have flown the Radian and Diamond 2500 and this is alot more fun to fly since you have to fly the airplane and make any corrections as needed while flying.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider in Different Markings

Here is a Fox 2300 EPO foam glider. Id like to get one of these and have it shipped to the U.S. Id also like to use U.S. dollars. Is there a way to get it shipped to the U.S.? Not sure if its a duplicate of the Hobby King, Bannana Hobby or Nitro Planes version but it looks like its of similar construction.

http://www.modellhobby.de/Models/Mod...&t=3&c=31&p=31
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,630 Posts
Chris the airplane in the photos at the link you provided is a version 1 Fox. The company may be shipping V2 now and just using the V1 photos. HobbyKing is doing the same thing. Nitroplanes no longer sells FMS airplanes, so Bananahobby is your best bet in the US. They are in the US so shipping and payment in US $ is no issue.

I have to say that I love the paint job on the German version, but 159 euros before shpping is a lot of money for this model.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,630 Posts
I maidened my V2 fox Saturday in moderate winds (8 gusting to 15 mph). I did a few test glides to get the trim sorted out. With the CG at 43mm it needed a few clicks of up trim. Thanks to this thread I was ready for the steep climb out when I added power. The Fox flies beautifully. I was impressed at how well it handled the shifting wind. Aileron authority is crisp for a sailplane. I tried a roll, but not till the battery power was low. I did not have enough power or aileron throw to complete the roll. So what started as a roll ended up as an ugly split S. The wings and elevator hardly flexed. Approach and landing was a breeze (pardon the pun). No second flight, as the winds were gusting over 20 mph by the time I got another chance to fly.

I made a few adjustments since the first flight: I moved the CG back to 50mm, increased ailerons to 20mm up - 12 down, and mixed in down elevator with throttle. The down starts at 50% throttle increasing from 0 to 15% down at full throttle. I suspect the amount of down will need to increase, but I will do this in steps.

The V2 Fox incorporates a lot of the changes people on this thread were making to the V!. Sadly they didn't change the thrust angle of the motor, or fix the elevator horn rubbing on the fuselage. I had to remove the plastic stab mount as it was not glued in correctly. I used Gorilla glue on the mount, and the stabilizer is now at the correct angle, and rock solid.

I have a motor and spinner in my cart at HobbyKing. I ordered this spinner:
45FPSPIN - 45mm Alloy folding Prop Spinner with 3.1..as product 5565 is no longer listed. Is that what others are using.

Roger
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider Euro Version with New Marking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
Chris the airplane in the photos at the link you provided is a version 1 Fox. The company may be shipping V2 now and just using the V1 photos. HobbyKing is doing the same thing. Nitroplanes no longer sells FMS airplanes, so Bananahobby is your best bet in the US. They are in the US so shipping and payment in US $ is no issue.

I have to say that I love the paint job on the German version, but 159 euros before shpping is a lot of money for this model.
I think I have version 2. I purchased it here on RC Groups. It a Nitroplanes version.

What is the difference in V1 and V2. Bananna Hobbies has some for sale is that the best version? The Euro version looks scale. Here are some photos of the actual full scale Fox sailplane in the Bananna Hobbies version sceme.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Marga...c76e4038578ce7
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...c76e4038578ce7
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Marga...607ddc8ecacb46
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Marga...a067b98b49703e
Last edited by ChrisFlysRC; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:27 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,630 Posts
The most noticeable difference in the V2 Fox is the pilot. V1 has a google eyed pilot bust. V2 has a pilot wearing a hat with arms out streatched holding a joystick. The next things to look for are the rudder and aileron servos. The rudder servo was moved from the cockpit area and is now buried in the left side of the fin. The aileron servos were moved from the wing root. They are now buried in the wing in front of the ailerons. Carbon fiber was added to the wings, the horizontal stab, elevator, and ailerons. All of these changes are mods documented on this thread.

Lucky for us FMS reads these forums, and makes updates to their airplanes. Their 1400mm P-51 is now on V7. They just keep improving it. Now if they just upgrade the motor, fix the motor mount, move the elevator servo to the tail, and make the the battery compartment bigger/further back the Fox would be great. FMS these changes would make a wonderful V3.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2007
207 Posts
Fox Glider

Where can I buy the V2 of the Fox? Id like to set the rudder and elevator trims for better control of the airplane in flight.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:25 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,268 Posts
I have done what I once said I would NEVER do again -- buy anything from Banana Hobby. After they gooned me years ago on a helicopter purchase, I have been one of the most vehement detractors of BH.
I broke one of my Fox wings. BH seems to the the ONLY place where I can buy a wing set. Since their "understanding" with FMS, nobody in the whole wide world sells new stock on FMS planes, especially parts. Nitroplanes has them listed as "Airfield" but has not had stock on anything to do with Fox Gliders for some time.
I have just initiated an "experiment" and made a small purchase from BH to see what happens. Wing set cost 20 bucks. Shipping to Canada cost 30 bucks.
I shall report back once (or if) my purchase is completed. Bananaphiles (and there are a limited few) will either love me or hate me when the time comes. I won't pull any punches but I will also give credit where credit's due.