HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,169 Posts
Help

HELP

My stock prop has no identification as to the pitch and diameter. Does anyone know what the stock prop dimensions are?

Thanks
Hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
After a successful re-maiden with no problems, the second flight was not so good. During a high bank turn she refused to roll back out of the turn ?? In disgust, I haven't got that deep into looking for problems but initial inspection found nothing unusual. This time I think it can be repaired with lots of Gorilla glue.

Kerry
Very Interesting as the same thing happened to me twice a couple of weeks ago.
The plane was in a high left bank turn and would not respond to right aileron control. I had full right aileron and it just sat there on its left side in knife edge. Fortunately, it was high enough that I was able somehow to recover from the problem.......but, it also happened again later when I was near the ground and it crashed. Some thought it could be a stall and spin but I'm skeptical about that as I was not doing anything that would put it in a stall.

First time in about 8 flights that this happened. Come to think about it, this was the second flight after repairs from a direct center hit on a Lacrosse net which caught the wings. The impact did some wing warping which I thought I had pretty much removed, but...........
Old May 15, 2012, 12:31 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
HELP

My stock prop has no identification as to the pitch and diameter. Does anyone know what the stock prop dimensions are?

Thanks
Hoppy
The stock prop on the nitroplanes version is said to be 12x6.

Yes, those 'high bank and fall' attitudes sounds like stalls to me.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
The stock prop on the nitroplanes version is said to be 12x6.

Yes, those 'high bank and fall' attitudes sounds like stalls to me.
Stall seems unlikely as I was going fairly fast but I do not know much about stalling during high bank (like knife edge). Would love to learn more about that subject if you can help.

With what happened, it was like the ailerons stopped working??
Also, I had previously removed "differential" to get max ail. throws.

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old May 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Kerry:
Unfortunately, all I can offer is my guess. The unresponsive control surfaces gave me the impression of a stall.

So, for both of you (Hoppy and Helitime), which wing was up (left or right) and which aileron was unresponsive (left or right)?

For instance, if the right wing was up (in what I would call a left bank turn) and the aileron on the lower wing (left wing) became unresponsive, it would lead me to believe that the lower wing stalled (which would make sense) since it is the one that 'stalls' for the turn.

Or, if the aileron is too flexible, the outboard portion of the aileron may not have been responsive under the airflow pressure. just thoughts.

I have also experienced flying wing stall due to too much aileron throw. Too much throw in a turn and the flying wing just drops. again, just things to ponder.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,169 Posts
Left wing down, attempt to roll right with right aileron command yielded no response from plane. As this happened once with the plane gliding at a high altitude with no elevator input, I wrote off stall at the time. I can't remember flying it any differently than the previous 8 flights which had no problems. Like Kerry mentioned, the first thing I tried upon reaching the plane was seeing if I had ailerons as the plane had reacted as if the aileron servos had stopped working.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll havve to ponder on them and see if they might explain what happened.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Assuming no servo or linkage problem a failure to respond to elevator commands means stall. They can happen at high speed - called accelerated sralls.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
What causes an accelerated stall? too much control surface throw?
Old May 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
What causes an accelerated stall? too much control surface throw?
Control surface throw is not a factor.

From Wikipedia: An accelerated stall is a stall that occurs while the aircraft is experiencing a load factor higher than 1 (1g), for example while turning or pulling up from a dive. In these conditions, the aircraft stalls at higher speeds than the normal stall speed (which always refers to straight and level flight).
Old May 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Very interesting and good to know. It does sound like control surface throw is a factor, since it is the turning or pulling up (coupled with the speed) that loads the plane. More throw = more turn or change of direction.

For instance, with gentle elevator in a dive, the g-force would be less on the plane than if you crank the elevator with high throw on the control surface. Isn't it the abrupt change of direction coupled with the weight of the aircraft and speed of the aircraft that essentially determines the g-force?
Old May 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Your analysis is correct Bombay. Long throws does not cause stalls but make is easier to get into trouble.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Now that is an "Ah ha" moment!

I bet you that a lot of pilots claims radio failure in those instances. They think that it couldn't possibly be a stall since they were flying 80mph and the control surfaces were unresponsive.

Thanks for the education.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
806 Posts
She may not be pretty but she's ready to fly.
Repairs were made mostly with Gorilla glue, clamped with stretch wrap which does not stick to the glue and keeps it smooth as it expands and cures. The breaks were also reinforced with fiberglass cloth soaked on with regular C/A.
Name: SANY0575.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 135.5 KB
Description:

Name: SANY0577.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 127.6 KB
Description:

Name: SANY0578.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 166.9 KB
Description:

EDIT:
On further investigation, the motor which spun free and true without blades was a little noisy when the blades were added. I put an in line meter in and throttled it up slow to max and back off. This read 50 AMPS, previously this test yielded about 38 AMPS so I guess the motor needs repair or replacement. The pack seems to have survived also so I think I came out lucky considering she went in "with authority".

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; May 20, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 05:12 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
mounting wings

how is the mounting of wings to fuse? how you hold them to it?
am asking this because i got a fox's fuse for using a set of wings i designed for it and the fuse does not show any holes.
could any1 show pics?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old May 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
how is the mounting of wings to fuse? how you hold them to it?
am asking this because i got a fox's fuse for using a set of wings i designed for it and the fuse does not show any holes.
could any1 show pics?
thanks
On the underside of each wing, there are two screws (accessed via 2 holes). Those screws tighten a pair of ring clamps over the CF rod that goes through the fuse and into each wing.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper