SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 02:42 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Question:
We both had problems getting the tail bolts to thread up thru the nuts in the black plastic plate of the horizontal stabilizer. I was able to get the holes aligned, but it appears to me that the bolts were just shy of being able to reach the nut. I am convinced that the bolts are too short. Did anyone else experience a similar problem with the bolts?[/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same problem Bombay.

The rearmost of the two screws was no problem but the front one was a real pain. I discovered that it didn't align properly with the nut recessed into the tailplane. The nut was not set squarely. Screwing the bolt into the tailplane (tailplane off the model) produced an angle of about 10 degrees from vertical.

My fix was to remove the nut from the plastic piece and reinsert it square. Also, I found that the tailplane would not seat properly with the stock elevator pushrod running inside the rear of the fuselage. Another reason for the elevator mods.

Re the short bolts: Mine were actually too long and would foul the rudder. I simply screwewd on a nut all the way to the head of the bolt - sorted.

Hope this helps,

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Steve:
Thanks for the info on the bolts. I will have to go back and re-check. Perhaps my conclusion that they were too short was in error. Problem is that I went ahead and glued the horz stab in place. Hopefully the dowel rods (q-tips) I have in the holes have aligned it well enough.

Quote:
Also, I found that the tailplane would not seat properly with the stock elevator pushrod running inside the rear of the fuselage. Another reason for the elevator mods.
I ground down the control horn one notch and carved out a little foam too. Now the push rod and horn have enough room. The throw on the elev is incredible. I had to reduce it a bit in the TX.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
Gary, the fox 2.3 flies very well when you sort out all the issues. Unlike myself you are now aware of the issues before you make the decision to purchase. I dicovered the problems as Imhave been flying and crashing.If you want a big foam glider that will thermal well the fox is a good choice. However, it does not fly like a balsa / ply film covered model.

The fox 2.3 is my favorite glider at the moment and I have had flights over 40 minutes and have only used about 3 minutes of battery.

Get the C of G right. I fly mine 60 mm from leading edge. Measured next to fuselage at the wing root.
Fix the push rod issues, get rid of all the flexing.
Fix the hinges on all surfaces. I used pinned hinges.
Replace the screws that hold the wings on with M2x 8mm hex heads.
Do these things and you will have a great glider.

Graham:
Can you comment a little more on the m2 screws? Are they a perfect fit? Any tips or trickery involved in getting the old ones out and the new ones threaded back in?
Old May 08, 2012, 04:07 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Bombay yes they fit perfectly. Being hex head they are better than the soft head Philips head bolts that are standard.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 05:47 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Can these be got from Hobbyking? I'm not sure which to buy. Are M2x 8mm hex heads easy to find?

I found these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12307

But they are back order...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old May 08, 2012, 06:41 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Yes these are the same bolts that I am using in the wings of my Fox 2.3. Makes it a lot easier to get the wings on and off plus the hex headed bolts are easily tightened and removed.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 08:10 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Seems that I will have to do some more mods to my Fox.

A landing at the weekend resulted in the left wing hitting a small tuft of grass/plant/weed proud of the landing strip. Left aileron is almost stripped from the wing.

I guess now is the time to fit some proper pinned hinges.

Steve.
Old May 08, 2012, 09:26 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks, Graham.

Steve: did it snag the control horn? I was thinking of placing control horn covers on mine for the very same reason.

I went ahead and ordered some m3 x 35mm bolts for the tail end. I tried again last night and either the holes are slightly misaligned or the bolts are just shy of being able to reach the nut. I am determined to get it to work.
Old May 08, 2012, 11:32 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post

Steve: did it snag the control horn? I was thinking of placing control horn covers on mine for the very same reason.

I went ahead and ordered some m3 x 35mm bolts for the tail end. I tried again last night and either the holes are slightly misaligned or the bolts are just shy of being able to reach the nut. I am determined to get it to work.
Bang on Bombay! I think covers would be a good idea if you intend to fly on anything other than tarmac.

It sounds to me as though the holes/nuts are misaligned. As I mentiones previously, I found the bolts to be too long.

Steve.
Old May 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
I found the bolts to be too long.
right, I saw that so I tried again. I removed the plastic piece that the nuts are in and threaded the bolts and realigned the nuts. I also drilled out the plastic in the tail a little to provide some movement/alignment of the bolt. It still looked to me that the bolts were just a hair short. I figured I would use the long bolts and make sure that they thread onto the nuts with the plastic piece removed. Once threaded, I would set the plastic piece back into the groove. If the bolts are too long then I will either put spacers next to the head or trim the bolts with a dremmel once they are snugged down.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Yet another question...battery

On the maiden flight of Fox, we used one of my 25c 1300mah batteries since it was already nose heavy...and a 1300mah was the recommended battery. When we brought it down approx 5 mins later, it was a hot potato and was already drained down to the 10% mark.

So, either our inexperience with a motorized glider was at fault, or a 25c 1300mah is just too small and weak for this power system. It seems like it needs a 25-30c 2200mah to keep up with the motor and a longer flight.

Thoughts? What is everyone else using successfully?
Old May 08, 2012, 10:09 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
It seems like it needs a 25-30c 2200mah to keep up with the motor and a longer flight.

That's what I use. I don't run the motor constantly. I get it to a good altitude and shut down the motor and soar till it gets back down, then take it up again. If the winds are right, I could do this for an hour or more. If I do run the motor all the time, it's at about 1/2 throttle.
Bigger battery, more nose heavy, so I glued 2 quarters to the tail.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old May 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Will these work for the wings?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...D-439C0C044532
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old May 08, 2012, 10:54 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Probably not...since they are not the right size. These should though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/hpi-racing-Z...item3f0dcc36dd
Old May 09, 2012, 02:25 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
543 Posts
Quote:

So, either our inexperience with a motorized glider was at fault, or a 25c 1300mah is just too small and weak for this power system. It seems like it needs a 25-30c 2200mah to keep up with the motor and a longer flight.

Like xviper I'm using 2200mah lipos. I don't have any CofG issues as the rudder and elevator servos are located at the rear of the model.

Steve.