SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Why Bother drew, get some car ESC's and program the TX so reverse works friendly for its application. Thats what I would do for reversing with nacelles of those type.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthunter View Post
why bother drew, get some car esc's and program the tx so reverse works friendly for its application. Thats what i would do for reversing with nacelles of those type.
lol ftw.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
So are you ordering your reversing esc's now?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8993

LOL. The problem is that car esc's rarely go above 4 cell voltage, the kong sized one above does 4 cells.
One needs to look around for options on this.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Actually that esc fills the bill nicely, its not THAT big. And 100 amp is perfect.

Remove the fan, and re position the capacitors to suit.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:07 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,659 Posts
Guys I've been thinking ever since K Mr A380 asked about internal thrust reversers & after 4 or 5 large mugs of coffe I think I may have something
"Internal thrust reverser Doors Like clamshells that reverse the EDF's thrust flow.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Why Bother drew, get some car ESC's and program the TX so reverse works friendly for its application. Thats what I would do for reversing with nacelles of those type.
Yes, of course, I was just pondering how to make a scaled down mechanism.
drew1231 is offline Find More Posts by drew1231
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Guys I've been thinking ever since K Mr A380 asked about internal thrust reversers & after 4 or 5 large mugs of coffe I think I may have something
"Internal thrust reverser Doors Like clamshells that reverse the EDF's thrust flow.
Yes, that is what I said in my previous post, sliding the cowl also would allow for escaping air.

Would be tough to place the servos, but I digress.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:50 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
^^^^I kinda disagree with it. sometimes we've just got to dumb things down a bit and think of the simplest solution. this mechanism would be super simple to make, without putting much (if any) load on the servos. the hardest part would be making the outer shell slide open when the clamshells close. that being said, even that can be dumbed down to get the simplest solution.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Well if its so easy to make lets see it on your 57!

Everything seems simple in the head, I've built enough stuff to know that it usually does not end up that way. Even the "simpleset" device ends up being a pita! Look at my reversing shells. Quit a bit of screwing around!

Yeah you can make little doors open etc, but if they do nothing then its pointless really. I have never studied thse devices before, not sure whats going on in there on the real ones or the angles etc.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
585 Posts
Quote:

Everything seems simple in the head, I've built enough stuff to know that it usually does not end up that way. Even the "simpleset" device ends up being a pita! Look at my reversing shells. Quit a bit of screwing around!

Yeah you can make little doors open etc, but if they do nothing then its pointless really. I have never studied thse devices before, not sure whats going on in there on the real ones or the angles etc.
Definitely true, it always never works.

The real ones are pretty complex. They siphon air off of the turbofan, but not the jet.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:40 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,659 Posts
Quote:

I found these Pics Silent, they show real schematics of real thrust reversers, Man these things have gotta be complicated to build!

Boeing 767-400 thrust reverser test. (0 min 23 sec)
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:44 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
isn't an EDF basically a turbofan? just sayin. LOL.

as far as the 57 goes, I'm not going that extreme. I know thrust reversers work, even at model scale, but at what cost? there's always something lost from something gained, so I tend to play percentages. as for the above statement, the real ones aren't all that complicated. I was an aero engine mechanic at Air Canada, so I've got some experience with this stuff and the real designs are fairly dumbed down, all things considered. remember that designers will ALWAYS go for the easiest and most cost effective solution to a problem, mostly cause that's what makes sense.

I guess that means I stick to my original statement, although a will concede that simple often can end up becoming complicated.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:41 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
ill use it just because its cool
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:29 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
954 Posts
If real aircraft were powered by electric motors the engineers would use reversible ESC's. Nyuk, nyuk.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:55 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
wow...just..wow...
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Closed Thread