Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
he thinks that anyone can do this but that's not true
this just scratches the surface on what he can do : www.rpmodeltech.com

BTW, we want a concrete date for the first flight
I want to be logged on here and ready for the flight report
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Sep 07, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:12 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
clown, what happened to the rocket?
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:41 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Go play with your Horizon Hobby air force, leave the building to the builders

Anyone who has built a decent balsa plane from plans before can build this.

Molding parts for the rocket to assemble.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Fuselage

The fuselage is made with 2mm rolled depron sections, and a centerline crutch from 6mm and carbon strips. The MD fuselage is slightly taller than wide, this is represented here also.

The crutch with some carbon strips

First rolled section slid over crutch

Center wing section. It would really be cool to have this skin section removable...But not really needed so later it will get skinned.

Fuselage sits on a work jig made from depron

This section is 55" long. The front and rear will be fiberglass moldings. Now the good size is becoming apparent, Im thinking that the extra carbon I put in these wings was not a bad idea.
Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 08, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:21 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
549 Posts
Beautiful clean build.
Are you sure you won't need any lateral stiffening in the fuselage? The MD83 is quite long, you know

Cheers
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blohm und Voss BV P.144
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:57 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
Nice!!!!
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chochmah View Post
Beautiful clean build.
Are you sure you won't need any lateral stiffening in the fuselage? The MD83 is quite long, you know

Cheers
Thanks.

Seems very rigid laterally, after all it is a tube once you glue the rings together...but we'll see later on once its more assembled.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
glass plugs

Started on the nose and tail plugs for the glass parts. The nose and tail fiberglass are not load bearing, they are just basically covers so i can lay them up really light.

The whole fuselage section is 85" long

The plan is to mold a hatch into the top of the rear fiberglass section, right in front of the vertical stab for battery and component access. This will be right in between the nacelles. The part where the foam fuse section joins the fiberglass is the very front of the nacelle.
Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 08, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:02 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
get it in the air clown
Old Sep 09, 2010, 12:38 AM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
get it in the air clown

Ok..we give up..tell us the clown story already! You said it twice for a reason.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Ha!

I'll let him answer for himself!
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:03 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
You have beautiful build going on here as well .

It's funny i was going through your build while you were posting on mine..lol

I like how you made you fuselage formers, MD80 to 95s all had "Lobe crease" where floor is in the fuselage, it's like double bubble construction to prevent buckling ans twisting of the fuselage barrel. I don't see it on you model but it's looking great even without it.

How are you going to fill the open spaces on the cockpit section?

Out of curiosity, why did u chose to use almost flat airfoil on this model?
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Yes been watching your build, when you got the fuse all together and outside you needed a compliment! Fun to look at your creation huh

Yeah I saw the fuselage profile, and i know what you mean about the double bubble. Thats really hard to replicate, and stay super light at the same time. So I just made the general fuselage cross section kinda an egg shape and it replicates the original good enough. I might make a full fiberglass fuselage, then i can do the double bubble.

For the nose and tail, you're looking at fiberglass "plugs", im going to make molds of these parts, the nose and tail seen here are only patterns to make molds from. They are not flight parts.

Clark Y airfoil. This plane is designed for two things; Takeoff and landings. Need maximum lift at the lowest possible speed. Symmetrical-ish airfoils are lost on this design, and not to mention much harder to fabricate.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:41 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Well minus the Double lobe crease and the way you did your formers, i have to say that your constant section of this fuselage is very very close to Concorde's fuselage cross section...

Thanks for appreciating my build, i'm bit surprised the none commented on my thread after seeing fuselage outside and placed besides the van.

I hear ya now i know that nose and tail sections being made into a plug to make molds off them followed by casting fiberglass parts. Neat idea if you ask me.

I will have to see ur pictures of wing ribs again, i didn't see Clark "Y" airfoil profile in them, must be late at night when i last saw those pics. If you want high lift airfoil being symmetrical type, you could have used NACA 4412 instead of Clark "Y" but it's too late now to make changes as ur wings are RTF now...

Sam
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:05 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
If you want high lift airfoil being symmetrical type, you could have used NACA 4412 instead of Clark "Y" but it's too late now to make changes as ur wings are RTF now...

Sam
the 4412 is cambered. Why are you suggesting that over the Clark-Y? what concrete data do you have that shows it would be better? You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

A properly picked airfoil for this model should be NOTHING like the full-scale, since we are operating it at a totally different Reynolds number. Picking the right airfoil for an application is an art that takes a lot of experience and knowledge. So, if people are going to spout things off, then you better know what you are talking about.
Last edited by teryn1; Sep 09, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Closed Thread