HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:44 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Discussion
Is anyone talking about the new Hitec X4?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/new...ticharger.html
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:48 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,503 Posts
No!

its just a OEM charger labelled as hitec

here are other examples

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Multi_Charger_

and

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000004858
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:55 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Do these have pc monitoring via USB port like the Hitec---as in the review in the lastest FLYRC??
RC_AVIGATOR is online now Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:13 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
And you know that they are in fact identical how?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:27 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,526 Posts
There is a review in the November 2010 issue of Fly RC on this charger starting on p.44. The review is by Thayer Syme. This is the current issue that is out right now.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
108 Posts
Are they the Same????

I do not know but I have the X4 and at a fun fly I met someone with the Hobby King and one with an identical charger by a trade name of Thunder. Both of these chargers charged the 2200 11.1v Lipos that I charged on mine after use in a t-rex 450 and a T-28 Trojan. In multiple cases one out of three times the battery was not balanced (out by .2 to .3 volt per cell and as much as .5 volt between cells. The X4 charged dead on each time. These had been checked right after the charge cycle with a cell pro from Common Sense RC. We did this test after I had trouble with a Chinese balancing charger over charging my batteries and destroying them. This was a common charger I have seen many times. Well they may look the same on the outside but..... who knows on the inside!
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Piece of Junk

This thing failed right out of the box....

Two of the LCD would not even illuminate or show any LED backlighting. The two ports that did work wouldn't even charge at the max amps stated on the box, 6A.
TrexHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by TrexHeliPilot
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:35 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexHeliPilot View Post

Two of the LCD would not even illuminate or show any LED backlighting. The two ports that did work wouldn't even charge at the max amps stated on the box, 6A.
Interesting. Hitec branded model or one of the others?
JoeR is online now Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexHeliPilot View Post

Two out of four outputs being dead is terriable but
there is often user confusion on the max. output available.
Max. of 50 watts and up to 6A can be hard for some to understand.

If you are charging a 3S LiPoly then 50 watts is approx. 4A max. .
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:48 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Two out of four outputs being dead is terriable but
there is often user confusion on the max. output available.
Max. of 50 watts and up to 6A can be hard for some to understand.

If you are charging a 3S LiPoly then 50 watts is approx. 4A max. .
YUP! As much as I/we love this hobby it is amazing to see the inferences/conclusions that some people arrive at! What do you mean it's a 50 watt charger, it says "5 AMPS" right here on the display, it must be defective! Many people have not taken the time to understand even the simple math, such as volts X amps = watts. And just forget about telling some that if you divide watts by volts you get amps, ect... I even have people asking why it takes almost 2 hours to charge their battery when the charger is set at 5 amps and the battery is only 5100mAh (6S1P batt and charger good up to 6 lipo cells and 50 watts output). So, it is kind of funny to watch them set up the charger, start the charge and then I point out that even though they programmed in "5 amps" the display is only showing "2.2 amps". "Oh, I did not see that!" Then you run the numbers for them, 2.2A X 22.8V = 50.16 watts out from the charger. And of course the reply is, "well what's wrong with it, it says it can do 5 amps?

Some people say "knowledge is power", lately I'm starting to think that "knowledge is an arguement waiting to happen!"

Of course not everyone causes problems like this, it's just that occasionally, the few can spoil the fun of the many!

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo330 View Post
I do not know but I have the X4 and at a fun fly I met someone with the Hobby King and one with an identical charger by a trade name of Thunder. Both of these chargers charged the 2200 11.1v Lipos that I charged on mine after use in a t-rex 450 and a T-28 Trojan. In multiple cases one out of three times the battery was not balanced (out by .2 to .3 volt per cell and as much as .5 volt between cells. The X4 charged dead on each time. These had been checked right after the charge cycle with a cell pro from Common Sense RC. We did this test after I had trouble with a Chinese balancing charger over charging my batteries and destroying them. This was a common charger I have seen many times. Well they may look the same on the outside but..... who knows on the inside!
This sounds like a problem that's been discussed a lot in another thread: inaccurate resistors in the voltage measuring circuit. Standard (cheap) resistors are +/- 5%, and apparently that's what HobbyKing uses in their chargers. Well 5% of 4.2v is 0.2 volts error, so you are highly likely to be off. Some of the authors disassembly their charger and substitute better resistors (1% accuracy), but instead I paid the extra $50 for a name-brand X4, even if it's "the same" in most regards. It should arrive tomorrow. However, I don't have a super-accurate voltmeter to check it with!

I have not personally verified this theory about inaccurate resistors. A decent company would carefully calibrate each charger for exactly this reason, but HK clearly has uneven quality from one week to the next and who knows what you'll get.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:50 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Oct 2010
17 Posts
I have one of the Hitec branded ones, and it has replaced all my other chargers. I wish I'd bought this instead of wasting my money on the others. It's fast and easy to set up for different batteries, has a great display, and the alarm is clearly audible without being annoying and it only sounds for a few seconds unlike some that beep forever.

This weekend someone at the flight field had a similar one from HK, but he said he was unable to charge at high rates on all ports at the same time. I have done 5amps on all ports at the same time with mine, and I think it will do 6a on all (certainly on 2). His was noticeably lighter, which would explain a difference in capacity (transformers and capacitors are heavy).
calvarez is offline Find More Posts by calvarez
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:37 AM
RRD
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
This weekend someone at the flight field had a similar one from HK, but he said he was unable to charge at high rates on all ports at the same time. I have done 5amps on all ports at the same time with mine, and I think it will do 6a on all (certainly on 2). His was noticeably lighter, which would explain a difference in capacity (transformers and capacitors are heavy).
This is surprising. I have one of the HK chargers and have been able to use the full spec output of 50W/port simultaneously. Possibly your friend's charger is defective? Or may be you are comparing just amps and not total watts. None of these chargers can charge a battery of 3S or greater at 5 amps for the full charge cycle. The output specs on the chargers are the same. The Hitec units may benefit from better components resulting in more accuracy and longevity. Who knows? Customer service is obviously superior with Hitec based on my experience and the forums.

Bob
RRD is offline Find More Posts by RRD
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:29 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Oct 2010
17 Posts
Next time I see him I'll ask about the details. Since his box weighed about half of what the Hitec does, it made sense, and I didn't ask anything more.
calvarez is offline Find More Posts by calvarez
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:45 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
I have one of the Hitec X4 chargers at work and it is dead on. I regularly check the balance with a Fluke 87 DVM (regular calibration), and the batteries are balanced to within 10mV. We use our batteries a lot, mainly Thunder Power 6s and 3s variants for our micro and mid-sized UAVs. I have been so impressed with this charger I just bought one for home to replace my aging Hyperion 606i. I can't say enough good things about this charger.

The only down side is the 50W limitation but if you can charge 4 batteries at 1c, you'll still be done faster than your high-power charger (assuming like me, you charge multiple batteries for one sortie). If you charge at a lower rate, the batteries will last longer anyway.
gtoguy is online now Find More Posts by gtoguy