SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:16 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Discussion
Ikon N' Wst Kits

Does anyone know what happened to Ikon N'Wst kits? Did anyone pick up their line? Is anyone selling their plans? Lots of questions.......... sorry. I have been trying for a couple of years to find info or a contact in order to purchase some plans for a couple of their planes I built YEARS ago.......

Thanks!
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Last edited by RMS; Aug 31, 2010 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:17 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,595 Posts
Let us know if you ever find anything.
I'd enjoy finding a set of plans for the Sperry Messenger,
and the WACO 10...
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,412 Posts
After Emil's passing, the company was sold. The new owners haven't done anything with it.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:12 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
I did not know that about Emil. Sad to hear that. If he was the gent on the end of the phone years ago, he seemed like a genuine guy!
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2004
1,501 Posts
You might keep an eye on Ebay, every now and then some rare kits pop up for sale.
That's where I acquired my two Ikon Nwst kits
I have two I won't part with.
A 96 inch Monocoupe 90A model and a Mister Mulligan 1/4 scale.
The Monocoupe will be built and finished to replicate Howard Nuemann's "Little Mulligan" which I actuially helped restore the full scale airplane.
It was a very unique, rewarding and fun experience!
Met many of Harold's friends and acquaintices at Oshkosh air show when it was on display two years ago, still unfinished at the time.
heard some real interesting stories!

I also used to go to some of the seminars and forums Scott Crossfield spoke at.
He was one of my boyhood idols
Now he's gone, but ONLY at Oshkosh can you have these experiences!

Also keep an eye out on th for sale forums on here on RC Groups.

Not many built up kit companies left anymore

Good luck finding a kit!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Sep 01, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,515 Posts
I have the O-1/L-19 Bird Dog that needs a cowl. I think Fiberglass Specialties still makes one.
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:34 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Are you selling it?
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2004
1,501 Posts
There's a Bud Nosen "Mister Mulligan" for sale on Ebay as of today. It needs a cowl, but I think yiou can get one through Fiberglass Specialties.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:34 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Hehehehe. It's at $270 already.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2004
1,501 Posts
Sure is!
Shows you what a rare box of sticks goes fro anymore!
And the cowl is missing!
Old Nov 06, 2010, 10:52 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Just too funny! I bought those planes from Nosen and A&A for around 80 bucks back then! The quality from A&A was worse but I have to say that the designs are great flyers.

It's so close to scratch building, I can't understand why anyone would pay that kind of $$. Just find a set of plans, a good 3 view (if the plans don't show al the parts) and order a bundle of wood. Probably can frame it for less than $100!

Loved the citabria and champ!
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Aug 2006
350 Posts
It's too bad these companies get sold or fold and the new owners loose interest or what ever and just sit on the designs. I guess without the capital to support kit-making and marketing they ignore the wants of a dwindling kit building community.
Garyss is offline Find More Posts by Garyss
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:21 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
I don't think many new modelers build. When ARFs first came out, they were so expensive that it was cheaper to build a plane from plans or a kit. Now, it is the other way around unless you have a ton of stuff on hand from all your years of modeling. SO much chepaer to buy and assemble an ARF now-a-days.

I started in the 60s with CL and rubber. Got into RC when I built a heathkit radio.

I am always trying to convince flyers in the club to build something but they won't. These are older guys that invest THOUSANDS into 30 and 40% ARFs but they have never built a "real" kit AND they don't want to.

It's all the same every weekend.............something from Great Planes or Hangar 9 or Top Flite. Yaks, Extras, Yaks, Extras, Yaks, Extras, Caps, and Caps. BORING!! No imagination to design or scratch build something at all. They can't even figure out the CG if it isn't on the plans or instructions. No desire to learn the basics of designing airplanes. Buy an ARF and buy what the catalog tells you to get to complete it.

I am so glad I didn't have much money growing up. I learned so much because of it. All you old guys...aren't the memories of building a stick airplane great? Admiring every bit you completed each time you sat down and worked on it? The smell of Ambroid, Sigment, and Aerogloss! Oh it brings a tear to my eye. LOL! Good times! I confess I have a bunch of ARF myself but they're nothing like something plans or kit built
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined May 2004
1,501 Posts
Cutting and gluing sticks is fun!
I've got a number of various kits. Ikonnwst
Bud Nosen, Sig, Great Planes, etc.
I've been collecting some for my" retirement stash"

I've got a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker I am looking forward to building.
I took a break from the big stuff, and found a Comet 54 inch Taylorcraft on
Ebay and am building it right now. It will be electric.

If you guys want to see what a lumberyard full of sticks looks like, go over on "Giant Electric Planes" forum and take a look at Damon Atwoods "257 inch" scratch built B-36 under the heading "Six Turning and four burning"

ARFs are okay to a point, and it is true, you can buy one cheaper than you can build anymore.
But an ARF doesn't come with any plans, . So building repalcement parts is difficult, but you can buy them.
I just love to build.
I've been building for 50 years now, and still enjoy it.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:01 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
Ed,

You have been building for a little longer than me for sure but not too much longer. The plane you are building now, I built back in 1985. I had an Astro-Flite cobalt 05 in it running on 6 800mah red sanyo nicads. It flew fantastic. I have one of those kits all cut out stored away waiting for me to build another! With the lipos and little brushless motors, performance will be WAY better than what I had in mine!

BTW, I used aluminum tubing for functional struts on mine. I don't think the wing would have taken the G's with my heavy power system.

What's your favorite stick plane that you have built? I have three. The Nosen Citabria, The Sig 1/4 Clipped WIng Cub, and World Models Robinhood 80 (which I still fly weekly).

Nothing flies better than a big lightly built airplane!