HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
Highrack R/C heli's
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Question
Syma S022 Chinook blade strike

My syma S022 Chinook falls out of the sky once and a while due to blade strike. Is this because of the slight breeze? Has anyone trimmed their blades to avoid blade strike? I have never noticed this flying inside, just outside.
highrack is offline Find More Posts by highrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
All coaxial have blade strike. It happen when both upper and lower blade hit themselves. This is done by wind, too fast movement, etc...
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:40 AM
Highrack R/C heli's
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Sounds like I need to lay off the forward trim some and ensure next to none in the area of breeze.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:43 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
The problem is mainly caused by excessive forward trim and fast forward movement...push the stick fully forward and the chinny dips it's nose hard and the blades can then hit each other. The answer is to fly it slowly if you're using a lot of forward trim..gently does it.

I had a beauty of a blade strike from very high up (see pics in the very first post to see how high I had it up)..dropped onto the grass and was luckily undamaged.

Still worth taking it up high though as it looks and sounds extremely realistic.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:01 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
I get strikes fairly often, but I've never had it cause a crash. At one point, I actually held it in my hand with the throttle maxed and moved the body around in different ways to watch what the blades were doing. It's mainly sudden movements or sudden changes in throttle (as in, "oh crap! don't hit the ceiling, kill it! oh crap! don't hit the floor, punch it!"). The blades flex enough that they strike where they overlap in the middle. I have also had (fixable) trouble with the shafts getting unbalanced, and that makes the blade strikes worse and more frequent.

Re: forward trim, you pretty much have to use at least some if there's any kind of a breeze outdoors.
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:18 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Yes, ya'all have made the case for GYRO in this model. I only get strikes when the flying gets "spirited" indoors, or if a breeze takes it to my magnetic fig tree, and I freak on the sticks...
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:15 AM
Highrack R/C heli's
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
S022 Chinook Blade Strike

I attached a video of my chinook falling from the sky...it is from the perspective of the chinook, pretty cool.
1stflight (1 min 32 sec)
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I'm always amazed at how fast Earth rises. Nice flying, tho.

I need to hook a bitty-cam to mine soon, just for posterity's sake, if nothing else.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
Highrack R/C heli's
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
flying with a mini cam on the heli is a lot of fun. I need to mount it better...currently I put the mini cam in a snap on holder that has an alligator clip on it, it cam with the camera and I clip it on the recharging plug hanging under the chinook. I need to rig a popcicle between the front landing gear or something to try and get the vibrations out of it. I notice that when I stop forward motion and try to hover or go backwards, the camera shake is considerably less. It is a lot of fun.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I can't even find my micro-camera...
SOMEBODY, stick a cam to the SIDE of your copter, and fly once around yourself, then watch the footage: you will be in frame the WHOLE time...

Ever circle-strafe somebody in Unreal Tournament? Same concept.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 04:20 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Oct 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
stick a cam to the SIDE of your copter, and fly once around yourself, then watch the footage: you will be in frame the WHOLE time...
news flash!
naeseth is offline Find More Posts by naeseth
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
Just a little bump as to the S022's main strike problem....

The top blades at the back are at the same level as the front flybar,

It looks like they should just pass effortlessly, but while in the air the fuselage dips slightly in the middle bringing the both rota a little closer together causing them to strike.

I trimmed away a little of the rear top blades tip,

I have not noticed a change in flight characteristics from losing this tiny amount of rota diameter but I have had far less blade strikes since giving it this little trim.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:33 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Just a little bump as to the S022's main strike problem....

The top blades at the back are at the same level as the front flybar,

It looks like they should just pass effortlessly, but while in the air the fuselage dips slightly in the middle bringing the both rota a little closer together causing them to strike.

I trimmed away a little of the rear top blades tip,

I have not noticed a change in flight characteristics from losing this tiny amount of rota diameter but I have had far less blade strikes since giving it this little trim.
You don't mean to tell me you have had a heli in one piece long enough to get airborne
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
Haha nice, ye I forgot to mention that after I discovered the rear motor problem. I just need to put it back together after leaving it open awaiting the G experiment.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,376 Posts
Blade strike on a Blade CX..
Go forward fast, then pull up!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul