Closed Thread
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:41 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Build Log
LA 500 Build Log

Thought I would start a build log on my LA 500 as I have not seen one as yet (just bits and pieces).
I have been gathering the parts together and while I am waiting for the weather to improve to carry on testing my Spyro I thought I would carry on with it.
I was worried what motor to use and spoke to the chaps at Robotbirds who suggest the Waypoint W-E3014-20 . To me it looks way too big but I will go with it, I see a few mounting problems but they should be easy to over come.
Umming and Arring with what battery to go with I decided to go with A123's..I have never tried these before and when I bought my charger it stated that these could be charged on it.
Not sure what battery it comes under but I have a selection for a LiFe battery, is this A123?

Any way here's a photo to start with on what you get with the kit, not much building just bolt together stuff.

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Rich,

yes it is.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Jochen..Thankyou for that

The kids were out this afternoon and the weather has turned out really nice, so it was trampoline time
2 1/2 hrs later and I have something that resembles an Autogyro!

I reversed the one way bearing like others have with the text on the bottom of the race when pressed into the alloy holder and it seems to be correct. Also noticed on the assembly drawing (page 3) that the nylon pre rotator gear is shown in the wrong position and it should be shown underneath the main shaft rather than above it. My main shaft was a very tight fit into the 2 bearings (around the c clip slot) so I spun it up in my drill chuck and gently sanded it with some wet and dry until a nice fit was achieved.
Other than that everything has flown together, infact I think it will take twice as long to make the tailplane and moulded plastic parts up

A few photos

Regards Rich
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:54 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,470 Posts
Well done Rich on doing this thread. I'm just waiting for my servos to arrive before I start my La500.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:31 PM
Fly like u stole it
Oss, Netherlands
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
Verry intresting project Rich.

I'm thinking of purchase one for myself.
I hope the shipping cost are lower in the EU.
Metroid is offline Find More Posts by Metroid
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:48 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,829 Posts
G'Day Rich
I noticed that your kit came with a pilot.I remember recently that the kit did not come with one and that LA did not have any intention to supply.I think there may be a few unhappy modellers chasing LA to have them supplied.I hope it all goes well for you,cos if any one can make it work,it's you!
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:25 AM
blackpool, lancashire, UK
Joined Feb 2005
192 Posts
hi rich, i also spotted the pilotis he part of the kit now?
its good to see a proper build thread on this gyro
i do fancy one, it looks a bit smaller than i expected, i see
you are going with the a123s are these the cells robotbirds
are selling and do they make up the packs
i will be following this thread with great intrest and i want to
see video of it flying,but not at mach2
pete
flying scrap is offline Find More Posts by flying scrap
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:36 AM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
751 Posts
Looks great Rich. I used to have Mechano when I was a kid.
I love bolt together!

Good idea to put it next to your model to give us a feel for its size.

But where is the balsa dust!! LOL

Regards
Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:49 AM
Fly like u stole it
Oss, Netherlands
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
I orderd mine today.
I hope the pilot is a part of the kit. This wil be my first autogyro but i have 11 years of experince rc helicopters and 5 years of rc airplanes. My lates models are the HK450TT and HK500GT.
I hope to find some new challenges with the autogyro's. The bild is mutch easier then a Heim UNI mechaniks .

I see forward to this build of yours, Rich. Ceep up the good work.

Regards,
Rob
Metroid is offline Find More Posts by Metroid
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Pete,
The batteries and kit were sent direct from LA Heli, this is the very latest version so I presume that the pilot will now be included..no big deal though as it wouldn't take much to knock up one (or pinch one of the kids toys)...its only a pilot!! As for slowing the 500 down..I have a plan

Andy,
No balsa dust with this one..I am beginning to glue the tailplane parts together..it is very fiddly to say the least!!

Rob,
Good luck with your new project when it arrives, this model is certainly a very quick build for sure, I look forward to seeing your model take shape

Ok,
The motor that was recommended to me doesn't fit, in the kit you get 2 small machined packing washers so that the rear of the motor/shaft clears the boom.
My motor has an alloy collet retaining the shaft on the rear face it which meant I had to machine up 2 new packing washers (washers could be used). I also had to knock the motor shaft through to give me clearance, this looks like it will be fine but now I have 50mm of shaft sticking out at the back of the motor! So I will either have to try and chop the shaft off or make a new one up to give me prop clearance with the fin.

Here it is fitted

Regards Rich
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:35 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
751 Posts
Rich,

if the motor was fitted with offset would that allow the shaft to go past the side of the mast?

Regards
Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
66 Posts
La 500

Hi Rich

I know I havent been about much lately but our first baby has just arrived last week and ive been busy with housework and Gofering .

Just a point i noticed from your pictures , the main mast appears to be tilted Forwards and i expected it to have rear tilt ??
I assume you have it the right way round ? or is the head used to give -ve incidence?

Regards Paul
Paul_6022 is offline Find More Posts by Paul_6022
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Andy,
Plenty of room to offset the motor, but I want to keep it 'as per'.

Paul,
Congratulations on the birth of your first child, the wise old men at work told me when we had our first that the worst part is only for the first 18 years!
As for the mast angle sweeping forwards it is as it should be. Many full size are like this, the important bit is the rearward tilt of the rotor and the spindle position to the CG.
The tailplane is very tricky to make and each half comes in 2 molded pieces. I glued mine together as per instructions using 5 min epoxy and holding the joints together using masking tape until dry. The 2 finished halves are glued to the top and bottom vacuum formed reinforcment plates. The tailplane has dihederal and this is shown in the instructions but once clamped together it is pretty close.
Trying to work out how the fin and rudder goes together as it is a 2 part affair which sandwichs together also adding hinge strips between (which I cannot find in the kit).

Regards Rich
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
I have made the tailplane up and its fixings, seat and nose cone are fitted. Started on the pilot which is made in 2 halves, not easy to get together so a little filler may be needed
Pre rotator has also been wired up and tested, it has a soft start and when turned off on the switch carries on for about 5 secs hopefully giving enough time to take off.

Here's a few photos, not much more to do now.
The blade mounts are actually the wrong way around! I just mounted them quickly to take the photo.

Regards Rich
Last edited by SafeLandings; Sep 04, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Here's a quick video I made yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgIXk6yqsE

Rich
Closed Thread