HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Canterbury
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
New Product
Flytron Lay-Z (Wii Nunchuck Remote Control)

Please read this post for latest status of project:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post20411036

Hi Guys,

I just finished the Lay-Z (Wii Nunchuck Remote Control)
I was planning do it since few months but i dint find the time for this. Now it's almost ready for production. Me and Bora tested it today, Bora will share the comments here.

This is the part of Bora's flight
Flytron Lay-Z (Wii Nunchuck Remote Control) (0 min 41 sec)

It will ready for production in few days

Thanks for reading
Melih
MelihK is offline Find More Posts by MelihK
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MelihK; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:24 AM
Turkey / Istanbul
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
Well well. Since I am a fan of computer flight simulations, I found this "type" of flying quite easy. Controlling is easy-fast and comfortable (Really Lay-Z) As you may see in the video I was just smiling&flying

Bora
bora is offline Find More Posts by bora
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:16 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
more ... details ... PLEASE!
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:53 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,088 Posts
Definitely want to know more about this one.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:23 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
pretty cool !
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I have the FMKit version of the wii nunchuck and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's quite tricky to program and I only use 4 channels because anything more is just too complicated for me. Does yours work anything like this?

WII NUNCHUCK CONFIG

Servo rate setting hi/low
Push Z button 5 times rapidly

Swap joystick/accelerometers
Push Z button 8 times rapidly until long beep, then push C button

Store settings and trim
Hold C button until short beep

Throttle control
1 push on Z button = Zero throttle
2 pushes on Z button = Full throttle
3 pushes on Z button = Proportional control
Continuous push = Proportional control and hold when released

Servo reverse
Push Z button to select channel to reverse (1 click=channel 1 etc...)
Pull joystick back and then click Z button rapidly until long beep

PPM Slow/Fast
Push Z button 8 times until long beep
Joystick full right = Standard PPM
Joystick full left = Fast PPM

Delta mix On/Off
Push joystick forward to toggle Delta mix On/Off

Switch Channel 1&2 in Delta mode
Tilt accelerometer left to swap channels

Throttle shake On/Off
Tilt accelerometer right
rapidly push Z button until beep
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
very fmkit.. very nice!
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Canterbury
Joined May 2008
1,366 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for poor details, i'm writing firmware already

Lay-Z is a hacked Wii Nunchuck, this device including 2 button, 2 axis stick and 3 axis accelerometer. It giving 6 channel PPM output as a trainer box.

Latest firmware's features:
  • Channel Reverse Option (Press and hold C button, hold the stick on right and power on, you will hear 2 short beep, then press the C and count the beeps for selecting reverse channel and release the button)
  • Throttle Modes/V-tail selection (Press and hold C button, hold the stick on up and power on, you will hear 1 short beep, then press the C and count the beeps for selecting Throttle modes/V-tail and release the button)
  • Centering Accelerometers (Press and hold C and Z buttons and power on, then release the buttons)

Throttle Modes
  1. Stick up/down for +/- the throttle, C and Z buttons works like a shutter on channel 5 and 6. useful for remote camera shutters/etc.
  2. Stick up/down for +/- the throttle, C button increases, Z button decreases the channel 5's servo position.
  3. Press C for increasing throttle, Z for decreasing it, stick up working analog on channel 5, it is best way for controlling the camera month with stick

This is all details i have and i'm ready for your ideas about firmware,
Please feel free about any idea

Thanks
Melih
MelihK is offline Find More Posts by MelihK
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:52 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
PC configuration if possible I'm not a big fan of remembering beeps. I'd also think this would be awesome for Quadrocopters, perhaps more than planes. is any of the throttle buttons proportional like it's in the PS3?
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:13 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
My vote would be for PC configuration as well. Trying to remember long sequences of button presses and then getting them right is really hard. I must have sent about 10 emails back and forward to FMKit just to work out how to set channel reversing.

I'm planning on using mine for my quad as I think that for FPV flying it will be a lot more intuitive than a normal RC controller.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:27 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
just tried to wrap my head around quadro controls. it would be good to have throttle on the proportional button and have the boolean button work like "cruise control" in a car. hold it for 3s that will be the new "minimum throttle". double-tap to disable cruise-control. this would allow us to set hover to "minimum throttle" during flight and then when we come in for a landing double-tap the control and land safely. just an idea ...
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,088 Posts
Pardon my ignorance with v-tail mixing but it is different from elevon mixing correct? If so, I'm interested in using this for a delta wing and regular 4 channel plane as well. Any chance you could get delta mixing in there as well as keeping the v-tail and normal mode?
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:32 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
just tried to wrap my head around quadro controls. it would be good to have throttle on the proportional button and have the boolean button work like "cruise control" in a car. hold it for 3s that will be the new "minimum throttle". double-tap to disable cruise-control. this would allow us to set hover to "minimum throttle" during flight and then when we come in for a landing double-tap the control and land safely. just an idea ...
That's kind of how the FMKit throttle works on mine. If i give 1 short click I get zero throttle, 2 clicks full throttle, 3 clicks is just normal throttle depending on position of the joystick and if I hold the button in then the throttle follows the joystick movement until the button is released and then holds the last throttle position.

I basically just use the last mode for flying as once I'm up, I can set cruise throttle and just fly around and then when I want to land, I just do one quick click and cut the throttle for gliding in. It's hard to explain it, but it works really well.

Not sure if it would work well for a quad though, because if it's anything like flying a heli then you're constantly working the throttle to maintain height during maneuvers, so having a fixed throttle would be useless.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:27 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,680 Posts
I'm flying with Nunchucks only for almost 1 year,
the firmware was modified every 1-2 weeks and now the nunchuck has some 20 functions and way more useful than it was few months ago.
Throttle always controlled with acc+Z btn.
short click to cut off, double click = proportional on
also proportional is on while the Z held , release to hold last position

may be my hand is different but X acc(would be rudder or ail) is useless, it's not natural to tilt hand and keep precise angle.
I switch joystick to control rudder/aileron, that is if nunchuck tilted left aileron holds last position and joystick does rudder

All my receivers do onboard mixing so I don't loose a single bit of somwhat low(8bit) resolution of original nunchucks. If you plan to mix and set throttle curves/expo/rates before transmitting to your multirotor craft that's not gonna work.

About every project involving Wii remotes (look multirotor forum for Baron, TriWii and such) dealing with problems when fake and original Nunchucks stop responding or give invalid data in mid-flight. My firmware has watchdog and if needed the nunchuck may re-initialize in flight without even you to notice. Strong RF (your controller TX or video) may screw I2C comms of your nunchuck, it will be hanging often. There is one type of nunchucks sold on ebay that is exceptionally stable against EMI (but not 100%), see attached picture.
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
any news on this ? ^^
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp