HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:25 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Discussion
What is the most dangerous tool in your shop.

I suppose this isn't for woodworkers only but...

Which one is it?

Several of you probably know this one for sure.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:40 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
I am
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:11 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
I think Rick got it.

Personally, big old shaper or overhead router, industrial size, I don't like. Some of those cutter heads are huge, takes a ton of force to make cuts that deep that are removing that much wood, and you cannot sneak up on it, take a little at a time, you have to take the whole bite at once.

Straight line rip saws can be dangerous too, as can a table saw, they can throw things at you.

I have been lucky, never been seriously hurt, but the times I came close, either did something I shouldn't have, or was cutting out a large number of things, doing repetition and sort of spaced out.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:45 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I'm editing this post for now.

I want to see what FL and others think is the most dangerous before posting my opinion again.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Last edited by Bilbobaker; Aug 31, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:22 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2997

Link in post one will remind you to be careful around the shop. Heed the warnings if gore bothers you.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:53 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
For me it's anything sharp, hot or fast.

Whereas Netty has a particular affinity for CA glue - she really can stick herself to anything with it!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:54 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,451 Posts
Table saw.
Only thing that can take off a finger in a blink of an eye.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:00 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post
I suppose this isn't for woodworkers only but...

Which one is it?

Several of you probably know this one for sure.
The "me" part aside, the #1 most dangerous woodworking tool is the table saw, not because it's inherently dangerous (which it is), but because it's the easiest to mis-use.
The most recent example is an employee of a friend of mine who ran his hand through the table saw blade to the tune of over $60,000 of reconstructive surgery.
That's just the beginning; there will be much more spent on therapy over time.

It was a stupid accident that the employee admitted to ignoring basic safety rules, but due to "not quite enough insurance coverage" on the part of the business owner, the business is quickly heading into bankruptcy. The employee quit, hired an attorney, and is in the process of wringing every dime he can from the guy he worked for for 15 years.

Of all the tools in the shop, it's the table saw that has the most exposed cutting edges because many of the various ways a saw can be used dictate that no safety guard be in the way.

On the other hand, I've been using a table saw for a long time (Delta Unisaw) and I can still count to ten using my fingers, so it is possible to do woodworking without cutting parts of your body off.

If I were a much younger person with many years ahead of me, and I wanted to do some serious woodworking, I would invest in one of the SawStop machines. Expensive, but probably a smart move.

http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/how_overview.php
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:35 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Yeah, most guards that come with the saws interfere with the work, and seem to me to be more likely to distract, cause a bad cut, perhaps even an injury. Best to buy an aftermarket one, some pretty good ones out there now, or build one. I saw one, I think in Fine Woodworking, or one of their books, which attaches to the ceiling, and can be retracted for blade changes and adjustment to the work, Not much in materials to buy. Leaves a 360 degree opening around the blade.

I am not advocating anyone work without a guard. - disclaimer

Buy the best table saw you can, it is the center of the shop. Smooth operating powerful saws are safer in my opinion. Cast iron top, weight is your friend here.

I have a Unisaw too. Powermatics are also good ones, General, old Delta, Some of the Jets are also quite good. That sawstop is phenominal. I haven't used one, but getting that feature is really cheap compared to an accident. There are also better brands out there, that might have come out of a school shop class or furniture factory, but buyer beware. they can be slap worn out, with cast iron tops actually concave from all the wood run across them. A lot of them also require three phase, and a phase converter just isn't the same, but does work.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Aug 31, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:41 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Buffers and heat treat foil. You can't work with heat treat foil without getting cut
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:42 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,938 Posts
My stepfather has a 36" lathe ( wood) I cringe at the though of getting aloose piece of a sleeve caught in it...

I injure myself most often with the welders tho... Ive burned myself, shocked myself, sunburned my skin and given my lungs hell from breathing smoke that comes off them...
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:46 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
My stepfather has a 36" lathe ( wood) I cringe at the though of getting aloose piece of a sleeve caught in it...

I injure myself most often with the welders tho... Ive burned myself, shocked myself, sunburned my skin and given my lungs hell from breathing smoke that comes off them...
Nothing like a little insight into hell to make a man think about things.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:57 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post

My problem with wood lathes isn't getting tangled in them, it's the wood coming apart at high RPM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:34 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
+1 for the table saw. I've never been hurt (yet) but know several people that have. Did have a wake up call with mine last year when it threw a board all the way across my shop.

The SawStop apparently really does work as advertised. While at a local woodworker supply shop I met a guy that was ordering the replacement unit for his SS. Ran the palm of his hand right into the blade. The nick left in his flesh was no worse than I get every day somewhere on my bod.

The worst I've been hurt so far in 40+ years of woodworking was from a sabre saw. Right at the end of a cut the down going stroke hit a metal clamp. That caused the saw to jump up out of the cut. My lightening fast reflexes caught it and directed the blade squarely onto the knuckle of my left thumb. That joint still pops and cracks every morning.

Gotten hit a few times with objects thrown from a lawn mower.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:47 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I grew up with a big table saw and a really big radial arm saw in my Dads shop. I would have to give the danger edge to the radial arm saw over the table saw. There's much less guarding and that saw head can move very freely on the arm.