HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Discussion
V-tail questions froma V-tail noob

Ok, so I'm in the process of making a small 18.5" WS plane and the best plan route with my materials is to go V-tail on it. AUW is going to be around 2 to 2.5oz, including an AR6100E 2 servos, 5a bl esc, 5g HK bl motor and the prop & adapter.

My first question is, on vtail mix, rudder & elevator channels correct?

Second, does using a V-tail mix move all control to the right stick (mode 2 DX6I) of will mixing be needed?
Or will I need to use it as an elevon mix to move controls without mixing and just plugging into the aileron & elevator channels then?
If I do use elevon mix, doesn't is basically function the same as V-tail, just different channels?

Third, is dihedral needed on a V-tail plane, or will the V-tail control roll good enough without ailerons?

Thanks in advance, I was going to build this tonight quick & dirty, but asked originally in the wrong forum and got no answers like I was hoping. Provided the answers are here later, I'll get it built tomorrow after work and have something new to fly.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Depends on your radio... please post what you're using, it's all about that.

Also, if you have the dx6i or dx7 you can look on the servo monitor and just check what happens.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:18 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Depends on your radio... please post what you're using, it's all about that.

Also, if you have the dx6i or dx7 you can look on the servo monitor and just check what happens.
Yeh, currently on a Dx6I.. going to upgrade to a JR 9503 this fall or early next spring.. I know I can do whatever I need on the 9503.

I'm just a V-tail noob and don't know if it would need ailerons or dihedral, or if the Vtail can handle it without them and the other stuff I asked above too lol..

~Kev
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Yeah I don't know how it works on the dx6i. Love my 9503 - very nice radio. I'll probably never use all the features on it.

Without knowing what your plane looks like, it's hard to say if ailerons will be needed. If it is, then you want the rudder function on the left stick.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:27 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
2-2.5oz is cutting it close for an ar6100. You'd be better off using the micro actuator servos.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:20 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,670 Posts
If your going to build it that light, you won't want the added weight of the ail. setup. Put dihedral in it and fly it as a 3 channel plane. Another alternative is to use the flat wing and use ails and only put elev. on the V tail. If you could put up a pic of the plane, it would be easier to give you a recomendation.

Choices, choices.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
My first question is, on vtail mix, rudder & elevator channels correct?
YES
Quote:
Second, does using a V-tail mix move all control to the right stick (mode 2 DX6I)
No, using V-tail simply mixes the elevator channel with Rudder channel, you will still need to use the right stick (mode2) for elevator and left stick for rudder.
But like mention above we need more info to help you out better.
Quote:
If I do use elevon mix, doesn't is basically function the same as V-tail, just different channels?
Yes it mixes the aileron channel with elevator channel.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:11 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
No, the elevon mix is a different thing - you can't run a v-tail with elevon mixing. Think about how it works... for elevons, elevator moves the two servos together, and aileron moves the two servos opposite directions. For V-tail it's the other way around - rudder moves the two servos together, and elevator moves them opposite directions.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:05 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,044 Posts
For a 'V' tail, (rudder and elevator), if you rotate the fuselage so one side is pointing straight up, it works just the same as a rudder. With the the other side pointing straight up again exactly the same as a rudder.
Both go up and down for elevator.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:01 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
No, using V-tail simply mixes the elevator channel with Rudder channel, you will still need to use the right stick (mode2) for elevator and left stick for rudder.
But like mention above we need more info to help you out better.
Thanks everyone.. here is more info on what I have cooking

Ok.. It's going to be much like a V-tail hotliner.. or DSG or a dynamic soarer.. just big wings, Vtail and gear on top of the wing in the open. Not going for a speedster or soarer, just want something I can make have really light wing loading and stick an 808 keychain cam on, then fly for ages on a 2s 430mah pack.

I guess if I want to get it all on the right stick and fly it like I would my champ, I would just need to mix the Tx rudder channel to the aileron stick, then it will control just like a 3ch or an elevon setup. I was just curious on the mixing originally, so I can lazy fly it with just 1 hand on the right stick when I smoke a cig lol...

Regarding its weight, the heaviest part of the plane is the gear in it. It's going to have a 24 to 30 inch wing which I haven't decided totally yet, a CF shaft running back from that to the tail. Weighing a 1/2 sheet of CF88 which is more then I will use, plus the CF shaft, plus all of the gear gives me a total weight of 2.2oz. When I cut the wing & tail I will reweigh, but it should be under 2oz at that point.

~Kev
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
You have discovered something incredible if you're going to fit that into 2.5 oz. - impossible... you just described a 10 oz plane, at least. Hell, just the battery pack you want to use is 1.1 oz. Maybe do it again using the metric system?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
you can use Vtail mixing if you want your primary yaw on the left stick or elevon if you want the primary yaw on the right stick.. a 3ch Vtail plane can be operated with EITHER

ive done it for many years on Vtail gliders "3ch" my Slo V's and my Vtail Converted Slow Sticks .. elevon and Vtail work the same .. the elevator makes them both go up and down together .. and "if you think about it if laid flat like a wing or such" the rudder/aileron make them move in opposing directions HOWEVER when the surface is stood up as it is on Vtail they ARE moving in opposing directions.. it just fools the eye "again if laid flat the Vtail will act as elevons for a turn one will go up one will go down .. stand them up they both go Left/Right "

one thing to note.. a Vtail should ACT like a rudder AKA the primary yaw movement is NOT like elevons if you want to turn right then both surfaces should move right just like a rudder .. dont confuse it and think of it like ailerons because youll be flying with the yaw reversed
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21