Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:53 AM
Joined Aug 2010
74 Posts
Discussion
Insulfoam from Home Depot in CA???

Has anyone ever used this type of Foam before? I bought a sheet from our local home depot in CA, it is 1/2" thick = 12.7MM I think? Can it be used to make a F-22 Raptor?

Thoughts and Ideas are welcomed please.....

Here is the actual website for the Insulfoam:
http://www.insulfoam.com/
flywmoi is offline Find More Posts by flywmoi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:17 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,631 Posts
Really worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.
djacob7 is online now Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:16 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Yup, I use that stuff all the time. Its just normal Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) The only thing is that you will need to skin it with something like thin depron or even some of the coating skin materials.

The foam has that plastic coating on it but its realy easy to peel off. A hot wire works best to cut the stuff cleanly.

One more thing you may want to look into is the "Readi-Board" you get from dollar tree. I use that stuff a lot too. Its a foam bard type material but instead of having poster board backings on it, it has kraft paper and can easily be removed with rubbing alchohal. Dont use the elmers stuff or anything with the poster board backing. That stuff is very difficult to remove and the foam itself is too stiff to realy be of any use.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:40 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
I second the redi-board from $Tree
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan