HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:17 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,482 Posts
Hey Terry owners....

does your Terry like to nose dive?

Just maidened my Graupner Terry today and it flew really well except it really wanted to nose dive when I took hands off the sticks. It flew fast, solid, and stable. Overall I was pleased except for this trait.

I balanced it correctly (or at least I think I did). The thing was so nose heavy when I finished even with my KAN 950 brick pack pushed as far back as it could go, I had to add 1/2 an ounce of ballast to the tail. (oh, the horrors!)

My question: is this a normal characteristic of the Terry? Giving a few clicks of up trim didn't seem to help much. I have heard from a lot of Terry owners that it wants to nose dive on launching, but don't know if this is normal for flight.

Kevin
thomer is online now Find More Posts by thomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 04:43 AM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
you need to shim the leading edge of the wing, under the saddle. i use servo tape or the likes. this will make it a new plane. try it
the balance point is on the wing bolts, i have had a couple of terrys and both needed shimming.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Jul 01, 2003, 05:56 AM
TX
Joined Aug 2000
543 Posts
I ended up with about 1/16" or so of up elevator trim.
cavande is offline Find More Posts by cavande
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:18 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,482 Posts
Thanks a lot guys!

I am going to try the shim and hopefully see the results!

kevin
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:46 PM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Just curious, any luck on the wing shim?

I'm ready to pull out the credit card and buy one of these babies.

Look forward to hearing.

Thanks

http://home.mchsi.com/~meyersbl/hobby/default.htm
bradm is offline Find More Posts by bradm
Old Jul 23, 2003, 01:43 AM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,482 Posts
Hey Brad,

I was going to install a wing shim, but I just gave a few clicks of up elevator (about 1/16" above the even line) and it did the trick perfectly. No more nose diving on launch! So, I didn't even need to shim the wing. I love my Terry! It can go from fast to glide in a heartbeat! Make sure on your first launch on your maiden that you give it a few clicks up elevator. Also, when building it, consider which battery to use carefully. I used an 8-cell KAN 950 pack which I had to put all the way back as far in the fuse as it would go, and it was STILL nose heavy, so I added about 1/4 ounce on the tail, and she balanced out nicely. Good luck!

Kevin
Old Jul 23, 2003, 07:25 AM
Blue Foam & a Happy Home
www.DadsFunPage.com
Joined Jun 2003
797 Posts
Thanks for the info. Regarding the battery, I don't have any of the 500 AR Hobby-Lobby recomends, but I have the 600 NiCds and their 1100 NiMh counterparts. I'm guessing they're probably a little big and heavy.

Do you suppose AAA size would work? I have some of those I'm not using. I also have the 1020 Kokum Li-Poly packs. It seems I have everything but the size the Terry calls for.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. In return I offer some fun videos - http://home.mchsi.com/~meyersbl/hobby/default.htm

Brad
bradm is offline Find More Posts by bradm
Old Jul 23, 2003, 07:48 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,386 Posts
Terry

Curious thing about my Terry is that it needs several clicks of down trim to fly level. Mine is setup with a 7.2V Speed 400, Graupner 6.3x3 cam folder and 7 500ars. A very nice flying plane. I have been having a lot of fun with it.

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Jul 23, 2003, 07:51 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,991 Posts
Hi;

I use a 7 cell 600 ma AE pack and it works very well. The stock motor and prop draw alot of current. With less weight, I'd even be concerned with how well the plane penatrates into the wind. You don't have to wait for a dead calm day to fly this plane. Watch the cooling of the motor and ESC however, there doesn't seem to be much air getting into the motor or battery compartment. I had to add some small scoops under the canopy to cool the ESC or it just locked in the full on position after about a minute of flying. And add a few strips of filament tape to the underside of the wing.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:03 PM
Long live the SHP!
CA
Joined Mar 2003
2,482 Posts
Brad,

I don't think the AAAs would give you very much run time as the 400 pulls quite a bit of juice. Try the 1100 Ni-Mh pack. You will most likely need to cut the plywood bulkhead to get it to fit. The main thing about using the battery is getting it to fit, balance, and keep the all up weight at 19 ounces. You'll need to experiment a little as you build it. Also, I would not use your Kokams as they are rated for 2 to 3 amps which is much less than what the 400 draws. I don't have a whattmeter, but I'm guessing it's anywhere from 10 to 12 amps. I get about 10 minutes with careful throttle management and that includes a lot of power off gliding. But my 8 cell KAN 950 pack is still being broken in, so I am expecting a little more with every run.

Gouda,

How much run time do you get w/ that pack? I didn't put any air cooling holes in mine, and it runs fine, the motor and batt getting pretty warm, but not hot. Jim Martin, the owner of Hobby Lobby says you don't need to put cooling holes in a plane to keep the motor cool. He says that you can tell when a motor is too hot when it is smoking. Ever since I read that, I've never put cooling holes in my planes, and have never had problems.

Brian,

Every plane is set up a little different which is probably why you need a different trim setting for your plane.

Kevin
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:32 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,991 Posts
Thomer;

I get 6-9 minutes depending on the amount of low power crusing or aerobatics I do. My motor used to get so hot that it melted the epoxy holding it in place. But the battery never seemed overly warm. I think part of that is the full spinner blocks the air intakes of the motor. That and there is no exit for any hot air out of the battery/radio compartment. I added some slots in the bottom of the fuse near the servos for a exit. That seemed to help.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Aug 22, 2003, 06:15 AM
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,000 Posts
Terry battery thoughts

Hi,

Yesterday I did read again this very good review:
http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php...cat=198&id=3776

Also after reading the manual of Terry, I do get the impression that it is build for using 6 cell NiCad.
7-8 cell do fit, but you get a CG (balance) problem.

Right now I use a 7 cell NiCad and added 50gram (behind the servos) and 5gram (tail) correction weight.
This is about 10% of the planes weight.
Next to that 20gram which is added for the extra cell.
This makes the plane about 75gram more in weight.

The manual writes about a maximum weight of 520gram.
Mine is about 540gram with the 7 cell and weight correction.

The terry is very much a performer plane with an optimized enginering design of Graupner. Which makes me think that it performance best with 6 cell... because it was designed this way

Cheers,

TreeDiver
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:25 AM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
I have only flown my Terry with 6 cells, I can't throw it hard enough in still air to get it to flying speed. If is not up to flying speed it rolls over and hits the ground and brakes. If there is some wind to throw it into then it flys fine. I have talked to other Terry owners and they have all changed to 7 cells to get more speed on takeoff. I plan on making some 7 cell packs to use in it.

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old Aug 22, 2003, 08:07 AM
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hal Ray
I have only flown my Terry with 6 cells, I can't throw it hard enough in still air to get it to flying speed. If is not up to flying speed it rolls over and hits the ground and brakes. If there is some wind to throw it into then it flys fine. I have talked to other Terry owners and they have all changed to 7 cells to get more speed on takeoff. I plan on making some 7 cell packs to use in it.

HRH
Hi Hal,

Did you fly already with 7cells? And did you ad extra balance weight?

I flew it till now with one 7cell NiCad. The performance was great, but I started doubting after reading the review and manual of Terry.

Rob
"TreeDiver"

Ps. I made a calculation.
Maybe it is uncorrect

6 cell NiCad = 120 gram
7 cell NiCad = 140 gram

6 cell = 7,2 volt
7 cell = 8,4 volt

From 6 cell to 7 cell an increase of 16,67% in voltage power.

Weight Terry empty with servos and motor for 6 cell use:
345 gram
Weight Terry empty with servos and motor for 7 cell use (with balance CG correction)
400 gram

From weight 345 gram to 400 gram an increase of 15,9% (with balance CG correction/ 7 cell use)

Conclusion... if correct: you win 16,67% in voltage power and ad 15,9% of weight.

The manual does mention the fact that the plane must have a maximum weight of 520 gram.

Total weight with 6cell = 465 gram
Total weight with 7cell = 540 gram (included CG balance weight)

Anybody comment this calculation? How to interpetate.
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Last edited by TreeDiver; Aug 22, 2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 08:12 AM
Sandston Va USA
Joined Mar 2001
294 Posts
I changed my terry into a brushless system and it flies better than ever now. I installed a astro 010 motor direct drive with the supplied prop and 3 1200 mah lith-poly batteries and the total AUW is under 15 oz or 425 grams. With this ligther weight she is a screamer. It takes a second for the prop to get on step but once it bites in she will goto town. No more problems with motor heat, the 400 would get very hot, and 30 minute flights are no problem.
busheadfox is offline Find More Posts by busheadfox