SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2003, 01:09 AM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Falcon Air RC MDM-1 Fox

I got my Fox from Falcon Air RCtoday . Joe was really nice, and helpful on the phone. The kit looks pretty good. Fairly staight forward. I think I'm going to be really happy with this plane.

I only have a few complaints, but they are relatively minor.
1. The box wasn't totally sealed.
2. So some parts were lost in transit. One of the Ply doublers, and the aileron pushrods. I have ply, so I can cut a second doubler to replace the one lost. And, I was probably going to replace the aileron push rods anyway.
3. The root cord of the wings don't match. No biggie. Straight edge, and a razor should fix it.

Here is a pic of the kit.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2003, 01:29 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,089 Posts
Sorry to hear that the kit wasn't perfect, but man, I hope that thing flies well for you! I've checked it out before and it sure is a nice looking plane. Have fun carving that fuse!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2003, 01:39 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by surfimp
Have fun carving that fuse!
Yeah, I know.

I'll work on the wing over the next week. Then when I'm off work for the arrival of the baby, I'll work on the fuse.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:52 AM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
Man. That thing takes the prize for the highest aspect ratio wing I've ever seen on a foamie. I hope those spars are plenty strong!

You guys are right, that fuse is gonna need some serious shaping before it gets that beautiful, sleek Fox shape going on. Keep us posted on this project!

Hey SD, how is your Ki-61 coming along? You need to bring it over to Maui and fly some formation with mine!
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 01, 2003, 08:47 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
The spars look like they are 3/8 x 5/8. I'm not sure though. I measure tonight.

The Ki is going slow. I built one fuse for a frame of reference/template, but I didn't like it. It was a little bit too short, and the proportions were a little off. I'm working on the second one now. I know it is kind of like reinventing the wheel the way I'm doing it, but I enjoy building.

If I ever make it to Maui, you betcha I'll bring it. Actually I might have a glass version by then.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 10:06 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
I forgot to mention that I might run some CF bars down the wing. I'll figure that out after I glue the wood spars in. The AR for the wing is probably in the 10-12 area. The wings are 71" long and maybe 7.5" wide at the root/5"ish at the tip. I'll measure tonight.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Some advice on this would be very much appreciated.

The tail section calls for, and comes with 3/16 balsa. I want to make this a little stonger. Could I go with 1/16 balsa, 1/32 ply, 1/16 balsa in a sandwich kind of set up?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:28 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
1/16 ply is pretty heavy. The Fox has a long tail boom, so that extra weight will cost you several times the amount of that extra weight in the nose to balance it out.

I often sandwhich a layer of 1/64 ply betwwen two sheets of balsa. The ply adds a lot of strength with a reasonable weight gain.
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:36 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
putting a layer of 1/32 ply between a couple of layers of 1/16 balsa should work fine. Even better if you can use a layer of epoxy and carbon or fiberglass as the glue. Like Brian C says you'll need to add some more lead to the nose to counter balance this. You can use the balsa over coroplast like I use but it's heavy too. But it is just about as indestructable as you can get and it looks good too.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:19 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
I think I may make both, and see which I like better. I have some epoxy resin, and 2 oz cloth. I may try your recommedation, TFLG. Thanks for the quick replys. Time to go cut some wood.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:20 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,900 Posts
I got to fly with Joe at the midwestslope challenge. He is a great guy. It was cool to see hes 2m fox sitting on the ground to my 3m fox. As for high aspect epp, have you seen this one that Dave Sanders built?
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jul 22, 2003, 02:41 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
First, I decided to go with 1/16th balsa over 2mil coro for the tail feathers. Looks good and seem to be pretty strong. Thanks to That Friggin Layering Guy.

I'm almost ready to cover the foam. A little tape, and a little more spackle to go. My next hurdle is finishing. I could go with the stock all white, but that is boring, and I want a little more visibility. Here are some paterns I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Fuse

Wing
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:34 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,089 Posts
Good God Man!

What about a USAF Thunderbird scheme? It's an aerobatics plane after all
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:55 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
I don't know, that bird pattern on the bottom looks tough. I don't have much artistic ability.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 01:32 PM
'sarp 'all
Canberra - Australia
Joined Mar 2003
336 Posts
i say... wow.. foxes are sexy planes
VinceS is offline Find More Posts by VinceS