HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:34 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Question
Reduced brightness when running led through brushed esc - why?

I have about 5 strips of hobbyking led lights on my plane.

When I connect directly to the battery they draw 2.2A and are really bright

I am trying to use a brushed esc as a regulator so I can reduce the brightness when I am in close hovering but want full brightness when it's far away.

I got an old gws 8a brushed esc and got it hooked up.

I tied it to the gear channel on my Spektrum 6200 receiver then assigned that to the 3 way aux2 switch on my JR x-9303.

Everything works as planned - I have off, medium, and high brightness but the full on setting is reduced quite a bit drawing only 1.3A vs 2.2 when the leds are connected directly to the battery.

I can use the sub-trim and travel adjust on the radio to change the amp draw and thus the brightness but can't ever get it to go full on.

This may be inherent in using a brushed esc as it is sending pulses rather than a continious stream of electricity to the led's but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if there is a work around.

If you are not having this problem what kind of esc are you using?

Thanks in advance.
xraydoc is offline Find More Posts by xraydoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:01 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Everything works as planned - I have off, medium, and high brightness but the full on setting is reduced quite a bit drawing only 1.3A vs 2.2 when the leds are connected directly to the battery.

I can use the sub-trim and travel adjust on the radio to change the amp draw and thus the brightness but can't ever get it to go full on.

This may be inherent in using a brushed esc as it is sending pulses rather than a continious stream of electricity to the led's but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if there is a work around.
It must use pulses, otherwise the ESC would get much too hot.

But you seem to have no full throttle form your switch, as the ESC would go to a continuous on at full throttle. Try to hook up a servo to the switch (or better a tester which will tell you the ms) so you can see if it really goes to max. Maybe you need to learn the ESC to the switch.

RK
rkopka is online now Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
They are resistered for twelve volts input.

an dimming them is quite easy with a brushed esc.

I pull a lot less amps with five strips than you do.
I recall in my tests only pulling 1.2 amps with five strips on a three cell lipo.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:29 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
I also am using a gws brushed control with the red wire connected, when I disconnect it they no longer work.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker