HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:49 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
580 Posts
Help!
Parkzone Wildcat, T 28, or Eflight Apprentice

I cant choose so I would like the fine people of this Forum to choose for me and or help me choose. I have aileron experience so that is not an issue so I am capable of flying all three. There is just to many pros of each I cant choose.
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:09 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
I'm only familiar with the T-28 but after seeing several of them in flight today at a fly-in I really want one now. It looks like it's one hell of a plane.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2010
580 Posts
all right so vote 1 for t 28
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,031 Posts
I'll throw a curve ball...

I've been talking and am convinced to step out of the "foamie box"...at least give it a try. And with this, it's hardly a sacrafice:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2675

Uses typical X-mount 450-480 motor (HeadsupRC) and 9g servos (HXT900) and sure looks pretty..

But if you are set on one of the 3, I'd pick the one you like the looks of best as they are all good, so, I hear. I've only flown the T-28. What I can tell you about it is that it's my first larger low-wing and it refuses to tip stall. You can slow it down to a crawl and maintain decent control, even in a sharp turn.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
vote 1 for the PZ Corsair ..... ooops aint on the list
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
580 Posts
well I decided and I chose the wild cat I love the looks
of it
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:01 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
thats always the best way to go . you dont need someone else choosing your plane for you , go with what looks the best to you as they all fly great
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:26 AM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
Wildcat is the way to go. Please tell us how you like it.

Cheers,
Henry
DoubleH is offline Find More Posts by DoubleH
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbanks96 View Post
I cant choose so I would like the fine people of this Forum to choose for me and or help me choose. I have aileron experience so that is not an issue so I am capable of flying all three. There is just to many pros of each I cant choose.
So far no one has asked what you want from the plane you choose. The Apprentice is a trainer, and flies like one. the T-28 is maybe a step above a trainer, it's very easy to fly. The Wildcat is 1 1/2 steps above a trainer. It's faster and more aerobatic. It isn't hard to fly but it's faster, and lands a bit faster than the T-28. I just got the Wildcat a week ago and I love the look and the way it flies. It looks great in the air, and has no real bad habits, that I can determine.

So you have to decide, what kind of plane do you want. (sounds like you already have).

scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:03 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,983 Posts
I say, get 'em all!!! Heck then you can fly fast, slow, do it all and then when you are out of batteries for the day, you will find just how much fun you had. Then go home and recharge all the batteries, or charge them in the car, and you can fly, fly, fly til you drop. I just got the T-28, so I don't know much. I like my Corsair, which is not on the list, and the Wildcat is still in the box.
Support Horizon, the rest of us are!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:26 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
I have had the Apprentice, and have both the Wildcat and T28 - both are good planes but the Wildcat is more fun (faster and more nimble).

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I have all three. I recommend the T-28. The apprentice is a trainer and behaves and flies like a trainer. The Wilcat doesn't have enough aileron to be an effective aerobat and is on the small side. The T-28 does it all. It is one of the best flying models in the industry and is easier to fly than most, including the Wildcat. Also it has landing gear in case you want that. You can remove the gear if you don't.

One advantage of the Wilcat for me is that it comes in an ARF form (airframe) so I can use existing and better equipment with it. The airframe is only $65 or $70. I wish Parkzone would do that for the rest of their line. I would probably buy every one.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
I have both the T28 and the Wildcat. My Wildcat is actually more of an aerobat than the T-28, so I disagree with the previous post.

I like both, and fly both often. I dialed in quite a bit of expo on the Wildcat ailerons to get it to my liking.

Also, the Wildcat will actually fly slowly without stalling, at low or zero throttle and up elevator, it doesn't tip stall it just harriers down. Without the drag from the gear, and with the smaller size than the T28, the Wildcat does take awhile to lose speed, but once it does it is easy to control.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:49 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
His is certainly different from mine. Perhaps it is a setup issue. I fly the Wilcat with stock throws and no dual rates on the ailerons. It is doggy when it rolls. The T-28 is a little doggy in rolls also compared to an aerobatic bird but mine is snappier then my Wildcat. Both planes are great fun to fly.

My backup Wildcat airframe came today. I need to decide whether I should store it for the future or make an
F4F hot rod out of it. I have a Scorpion 3008 1220 that will pull that little plane with many, many watts per pound. The thought of it is a little intimidating because the Wildcat is pretty quick with the 480 sized motor (same motor as the T-28.) It might hold up, though, because the model is small and the wings fairly stubby. We'll see.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Last edited by fmw; Aug 31, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:28 PM
United States, MO
Joined Jul 2010
678 Posts
If you've already have aileron experience, then I would skip the Apprentice. I recently picked up a T-28D and it's so smooth. My fiance bought me a BNF Habu for my b-day and that is something else. Both are awesome to fly. I'm about to pick up a PZ BF-109 this Friday; that'll be 3 planes in 13 days. So, I vote for ALL!

This winter will give me some time to "step out of the foam box" and assemble a nitro ARF. Now, just to make decide on something!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable