Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:08 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Alert
Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider

Claims he's from the future

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/man-...ture-49305387/

>>A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.<<
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:10 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
Claims he's from the future

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/man-...ture-49305387/

>>A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.<<
Apparently, the word gullible is missing from the latest edition of the OED.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:12 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Was there a Delorean parked in the lot outside the collider ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:16 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Was there a Delorean parked in the lot outside the collider ?.
Probably a democrat from the future, Kit-Kats for everyone.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:27 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Mmmmmm Kit Kats.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:31 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,667 Posts
From the link:

Quote:
By Nick Hide on 1 April 2010, 10:33am

Read more: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/man-...#ixzz0xu3pFlWX

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
From the link:

Pat MacKenzie
I love this guys comment at that site....

If anyone else says "black hole" today I'm going to come round and chin em 2:26 AM Mar 30th via TweetDeck Retweeted by 100+ people

ProfBrianCox
Brian Cox
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Brian Cox is a very down to earth, affable guy, who has done a great deal to advance the popularity of science. Of course he's also stunningly bright into the bargain. The enthusiasm he has for his subject shines through on every TV appearance that he makes.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
But did he say anything about the 12 monkeys.....?
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:43 AM
no no no, a music gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,592 Posts
That's what he gets for doing those home experiments. Not enough shielding on the accelerator and it only took a few pulses.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,065 Posts
Apart from the rather suspicious date of 1 April, there's the supposed saboteur's first name, Eloi, from H.G Wells' "The Time Machine" . Brian Cox is very very good at presenting science in an understandable way.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:01 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
I enjoy Brian Cox's stuff on the tube. Also Michio Kaku. And has anyone seen Amy Mainzer? She's pretty easy on the eyes for an astrophysicist
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Carver View Post
I enjoy Brian Cox's stuff on the tube. Also Michio Kaku. And has anyone seen Amy Mainzer? She's pretty easy on the eyes for an astrophysicist
Yes, she's hot and she's smart. I could listen to her all day.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Carver View Post
Yep. I really enjoy all three. There's only one thing that annoys me about Kaku - that he constantly refers to earth orbit as "outer space". Love his show despite this little niggle.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
reminds me of this story

http://www.breakingopenthehead.com/f...hp/t-2154.html

From what I can recall.. he made a bunch of "very lucrative" investments that led authorities to arrest him for insider trading.. .He then claimed to be from the future and "jsut couldnt help himself" There was no record of the guy up till this point... LOL.. wonder what the scoop realyl was!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious