HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
843 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Stobel V3 Wing Repair

I did some work on Nick’s wing following the accident at the California Challenge contest. The center section was badly “folded” and the spar was broken. The RDS shaft had popped off the servo so we had to cut an access hole to glue that back on. The RDS pocket was lose in the aileron, but it seems like CA alone has fixed that part.

I pulled and pushed the folded skin back into position a little at a time and when I got a small section lined up nice, it would hit it with a minimal amount of thin CA. I used a bent T-pin as a dent puller on the skin while gluing. Little by little it started looking like a strait and firm wing again.

To fix the spar I used the dermal to grind down the skin over the spar area getting rid of all the roacell. This thickness would be filled up with carbon tow to make a new spar section over the broken spar section. I also added some carbon tow at the broken TE sub spar. In the same glue step as adding the tow, I added ¾ ounce glass. Two layers in not so critical spots and up to 4 in the stress points. Very important to use thin laminating reason and to blot out all the excess resin with paper towels to keep it light.

This center section repair added 4.4 grams. Charlie and Nick still need to fix the fuselage pod and the very tip of the wing, but the total repair should only add between ¼ and 1/3 ounce.
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Looks great Bob! Nice to see it will be flying again.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
thanks for fixing Nick's plane Bob! I know this took alot of thought and patience to get it right. Nick brough it home yesterday and we were both amazed at how well it came out.

regarding your ugly car blog...too funny! If your reading this and havent gone clicked on Bob's "blog" PLEASE do so. Bob's got a real chance to pick up a pretty good chunk of change and it only takes about a minute to cast your vote.
charlie tasto is offline Find More Posts by charlie tasto
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:17 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Pretty impressive considering the shape it was in before. Bob is the master of moldie repair. Looks like I will be needing some consulting.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:28 PM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,497 Posts
Be sure to throw that epoxy can in the back seat of the car!
Dale Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:23 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Worked on the separated tip today. Removed the blade from the tip piece. Picked at the joint until the two pieces went back together. Used CA to stick them back together temporarily.

Next used a dremel sanding drum and vacuum to feather the hole where the tip was. Took it back to about 1" diameter. Next cut a large number of carbon cloth pieces of varying sizes to fill the hole back up. Packed in carbon cloth and epoxy to what we thought was just above the level of the old skin. Next put small pieces of waxed mylar and rubber foam over the patch and clamped it. Came out pretty good, just above the old skin level. Next will be to grind and wet sand the filled area back to the original shape, add a patch of kevlar and carbon over the blade area, and install the blade again.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:21 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy View Post
Worked on the separated tip today. Removed the blade from the tip piece. Picked at the joint until the two pieces went back together. Used CA to stick them back together temporarily.

Next used a dremel sanding drum and vacuum to feather the hole where the tip was. Took it back to about 1" diameter. Next cut a large number of carbon cloth pieces of varying sizes to fill the hole back up. Packed in carbon cloth and epoxy to what we thought was just above the level of the old skin. Next put small pieces of waxed mylar and rubber foam over the patch and clamped it. Came out pretty good, just above the old skin level. Next will be to grind and wet sand the filled area back to the original shape, add a patch of kevlar and carbon over the blade area, and install the blade again.

Looks great Greg. I bet the weight gain was next to nothing.
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:20 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Greg,why do you think the tip separated?
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:25 PM
Master of the Wind
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
The peg was a little loose during the contest. We reinforced it with thin CA and it looked fine, but combined with Nick's throwing style, which included a lot of up and down motion, it must have worked loose again.