HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
Mini-Review
New line of lipos - Gens Ace

Disclaimer: The pack described in this post was provided to me at no charge for the purpose of evaluation.

A couple of months ago, I stumbled across a thread by acepowling1 stating that he was looking for volunteers to test a new line of lipos. They are called Gens Ace and manufactured by Acepow Electronics. Their website is www.rc-battery.com. Iím not an expert by any means, but have several electric planes and have been using lipos for a few years, so I figured Iíd reply and see if I was a good candidate for the evaluation program. After swapping a few emails, he agreed to send me a 5S 3300 30C pack for testing. What follows is the results of my usage of the pack to date.

First, a few specs and pics. The weight is 469 grams and the dimensions are 140mm x 41mm x 38mm. The pack came equipped with a Deans-type connector and a balance tap with which I am not familiar. As with every pack I get, I immediately removed the supplied tap and replaced it with an FMA tap. I love my CellPro 10S, but HATE to use adapters, so I just swap out whatever comes on the pack as soon as possible.

The only other packs I own in this approximate voltage and capacity range are FlightMax 5S 3000 20C. In comparison, the FlightMax packs are lighter at 384 grams, but only significantly smaller in one dimension, their thickness. They measure 138mm x 44 mm x 31mm. Since they are only 20C, I fully expected the review pack to spank them handily, and I couldnít have been more pleased. Here are a couple of shots showing the difference in size.

I use this size pack on a 40-size 3D profile bird which fortunately has more than enough room for mounting and a very forgiving CG range. It was a piece of cake to add a bit of Velcro to the test pack and strap it into place. The plane is set up with a Neu 1506/3D with a 6.7:1 gearbox, a Castle Phoenix 85 and an APC 15x8E prop.

The first 5 or 6 flights I put on the pack were short and light. I never went to full throttle and only flew about 5 minutes each time. I donít know if going easy on a pack truly makes a difference in its lifespan, but I usually do it to all my packs just to be on the safe side. The following schedule does NOT include those initial flights.

As expected, this pack puts out AMAZING power in comparison to the Flightmax packs. I donít have an IR thermometer, so I canít provide objective temperature readings, but on a hot Summer day with temps in the mid-90ís, the pack was just barely warm after each flight. There may be better packs out there, but this one is the best one I have personally tried. I wish I had a dozen more.

Although I donít own any comparable packs made by any of the big-name manufacturers, I was able to borrow a couple of Thunder Power 5S 3300 30C packs from a flying buddy. He said they were only about a month old with less than 10 cycles on them. The size and weight were close enough that I couldnít tell a difference in the mounting and balance on the plane. There was also no discernible difference in the power output. Both borrowed packs felt exactly like the review pack when in the air, but they did come back a slight bit warmer. The difference was insignificant, but noticeable. I did not have my Eagle Tree recorder at the field that day, so I was not able to get any hard data on the borrowed packs, but Iíd bet money they were within 5 or 10 percent of the review pack.

When Iím in the market for more packs, Gens Ace will certainly be on the short list of candidates. If anyone else has any experience with these packs feel free to share them here if you are so inclined. Thanks for reading!

Erik
justerik is offline Find More Posts by justerik
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
3S 2200 Thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283407
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:12 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
Been flying Gens 25c 8s-3800 in my 3DHS SC 72. Pulling around 70A or more, and the packs came down not even warm. Very impressed.

Looking for more of these, but unfortunately, they are out of stock.
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:41 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,114 Posts
I use a 5s 5300 in my warbird and it works great and is barely warm
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,007 Posts
You mean those Gen "Out of Stock" Ace lipos?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:07 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
yes
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach